Forum

[S11] Unlocks Feedback Thread!

Created 15th January 2012 @ 13:28

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 10 11 12 ... 16 Next »

Enef

fest
#wubafan

I didn’t think skins were allowed by the configs pure settings?

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Enef

I didn’t think skins were allowed by the configs pure settings?

With skins we mean unlocks that are considered as reskins, like the fish and the pan. You mean custom client-side skins which are indeed blocked by pure settings. Not really a relevant question to this topic.

Have a poll? Majority wins?

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Like I said,

Quoted from skeej

[…] It would have been an enormous gesture to show that community input is valued, and I’m not talking about meaningless polls where everyone can chime in without backing up their opinion.

Judging from the posts here, a poll would probably result in allowing The Original, so that’s a good thing, but it’d be a shame that that would be the only way…

ashkan

Quoted from skeej

[…]

Who cares what the wiki says about The Original? I think we all agree that it’s not JUST a skin.

No, you did not. That’s why I pointed it out. I didn’t use it as an argument, I corrected a mistaken assumption. So please take a step back and stop reading so much into it.

Gubbins

Op4

Imo allow the axtinguisher and flare gun. This won’t happen, I just cba to change my whitelist for doublemixes.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from ashkan

[…]

No, you did not. That’s why I pointed it out. I didn’t use it as an argument, I corrected a mistaken assumption. So please take a step back and stop reading so much into it.

Ashkan, as much as I respect you, if you’re only going to selectively pick stuff out of this topic that you can easily answer and ignore the rest, then why bother posting at all? :

I made many points that tried to illustrate how “original being a skin or not” is totally not relevant to the discussion. And then there were users that posted stuff like this:

The Original is somewhat unique in that it is neither a true reskin – as it changes the exit point of the projectile, which no other reskin does; nor is it a true unlock – it has no measurable gameplay impact, unlike every single unlock currently available.

This is just from one quick scan through the topic, so people WERE definitely talking about it. But disregard all that stuff, because like I said, wether or not The Original is a skin is completely irrelevant.

Why do I even bother posting… I now know that the admins don’t take issues like this seriously because I’ve heard from multiple sources that the final decisionmaking on not allowing The Original was such an irrational process to the point of truly insulting the community that cares about the league and how it is being played. Just keep in mind that you’re transforming an idealist into a cynic, and I’m probably not the only “victim”. (and don’t we have way too many cynics in our community already?)

Last edited by skeej,

kaidus

WiK?

Come on admins; what code are you trying to live up to by not allowing it? There’s a god damn landslide of well argued support for the original and only a stubborn toddlers cry against it yet still you twiddle your thumbs like it’s a really difficult issue.

OK. You’re scared there will be a backlash crying for other unlocks if the original gets pushed through – that may be so. Take joy in the fact then that there is not a single unlock in the game that falls under the same category of the original and so any such cries would be comprised of little more than bullshit, therefore could, should and would be swiftly discarded for the garbled nonsense they are.

Dear god please. I don’t even care about the original but seeing such an utter inability to problem-solve this most basic of problems is becoming truly painful.

Last edited by kaidus,

IPZIE

SUAVE

2lazy

MIndYe

[hePPa]

Quoted from kaidus

Come on admins; what code are you trying to live up to by not allowing it? There’s a god damn landslide of well argued support for the original and only a stubborn toddlers cry against it yet still you twiddle your thumbs like it’s a really difficult issue.

OK. You’re scared there will be a backlash crying for other unlocks if the original gets pushed through – that may be so. Take joy in the fact then that there is not a single unlock in the game that falls under the same category of the original and so any such cries would be comprised of little more than bullshit, therefore could, should and would be swiftly discarded for the garbled nonsense they are.

Dear god please. I don’t even care about the original but seeing such an utter inability to problem-solve this most basic of problems is becoming truly painful.

+1

Original is basically even less of an unlock than the x-bow and you allowed that. And don’t say it’s a medlock, so is the quick fix and it’s not allowed. It has no impact on the recieving end and only changes the aiming. (Doesn’t make it easier, changes it.)

ashkan

Quoted from skeej

[…]

Ashkan, as much as I respect you, if you’re only going to selectively pick stuff out of this topic that you can easily answer and ignore the rest, then why bother posting at all?

You do realize that I’m a Highlander admin, right? As far as I can recall, I have made 1 post related to season 11, and that was a copy of a post from season 10. I barely have time to work on Highlander and moderate the forums, so why on earth would I waste time reading about, discussing and deciding on a single, unimportant unlock in 6v6 season 11? I don’t play 6v6 and I’m not a 6v6 admin, so I hope you understand if these discussions are not at top of my to-do list.

As I said, I skimmed through the thread (forum moderation) and saw posts based on two misconceptions that hadn’t been corrected, so I took 30 seconds out of my life to correct them. Jesus Christ, don’t take out your anger on me.

Spike Himself

TC

Way too much derping everywhere. I’ve not had much time to read forums recently, so could anyone please be so kind as to make a short list of arguments for and against this Original thingy? <3

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from ashkan

[…] Jesus Christ, don’t take out your anger on me.

lol sorry, like I said, it was with all due respect. I just don’t see the point of chiming in on the conversation whilst not completely informed.

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Spike Himself

Way too much derping everywhere. I’ve not had much time to read forums recently, so could anyone please be so kind as to make a short list of arguments for and against this Original thingy? <3

From my perspective :

For :
– Does not change the skill involved in playing the class
Changing the orientation of where the rocket leaves your model does not mean that you do not have to predict, lead and adjust your aim to account for distance, traveling speed and direction of your opponent.

– The Original does exactly the same damage, it’s rockets travel at exactly the same speed as the normal rocket launcher.

– It’s a preference
A player will be more comfortable with 1 orientation over another, however no orientation has a significant benefit over another, all have their benefits and downsides but they balance out. (explanation of +/- of each orientation : http://etf2l.org/forum/feedback/topic-20005/page-4/?recent=363738#post-361354)

Against :
– People are worried that it might lead to more discussion about other unlocks
I can see why people would reason this, but it’s a slippery slope because once you take that stance why discuss anything including map pools. Discussion will still take place, but there are valid reasons as to why the unlocks (excluding The Original) are banned, shortly put they affect the balance of 6v6 TF2 too much to be considered for 6v6. Since the original (in my opinion) does not upset that balance it’s not much of a point against it.

– Might be considered unfair towards the demo
(I don’t agree with this one personally since even though the demo does not have the option to have a center view model, the inclusion of the Original does not harm his position or tip the balance of 6v6 against his favor or in his favor).

– Some people argue that it will make it easier for soldiers to aim
(I think thats mostly a placebo effect, most people are so used to the orientation of their rocket that they don’t have to consciously adjust their aim to be able to hit their target, changing that orientation then has them focus more on the adjustment than they would normally (and will after they are used to the orientation) and thus makes them think about it more, leading to a “increase in aim”).

Snyyppis

RLM

Quoted from Spike Himself

The Original is an alternative to the rocket launcher with 3 differences:

1) It has a different viewmodel
2) It fires rockets from the centre of the screen, as opposed to the right or left side
3) It has a lower pitched sound effect upon firing

From these we can draw the arguments presented so many times in this thread and others:

1) Firing rockets from the centre of the screen allows for easier aiming because you no longer need to take in to account the slight angle.

Usual counter: Everyone is already used to the slight angle/”I don’t see any difference in aiming”/You can no longer edge corners.

2) The sound is less distinct which makes it more difficult for opponents to pick up where the shot came from.

Usual counter: “Learn to adapt”.

Personally, I don’t give a rat’s ass if it’s allowed or not. I wouldn’t use it, but I wouldn’t mind others using it against me either.

edit. fuck you eledorian -.-

Last edited by Snyyppis,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 10 11 12 ... 16 Next »