Forum

THE REAL ISSUE OF EU TF2

Created 7th August 2012 @ 21:00

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 ... 11 Next »

AnimaL

Quoted from Skyride

I’m going to say right now that I’m quite comfortable with Koeitje being denied adminship in etf2l. I don’t dislike the guy, but I certainly don’t think he’s someone I’d trust with such privileges.

lol, which is why etf2l is where it is, when ppl who want to help and actually have a clue get denied by retarded reasons like “not trusting some privileges” i dont even understand what privileges you mean, as if beeing able to check matches and discussing with admins future progress could be harmful in any way

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Skyride

The real issue with TF2 is that people will post in this thread and think they’ve helped. Nothing will happen and everyone will feel like they tried.

THE REAL PROBLEM with TF2 is xxxx because xxxx. Really though anyone who tries to post any good suggestion written constructively won’t be ignored, you should try the new forum if you haven’t done already if you’re serious about improving this league.

Personally I am fine with things the way they are, ESL dropping TF2 didn’t affect me in any way. TF2 becoming an e-sport would be a bonus to this game for me, I enjoy it as a hobby and I don’t feel like ETF2L needs to even attain sponsorship and prizes. Of course having wonderful people donate and companies like Team Thermaltake working with our head admins is fantastic, I don’t ever take it for granted having them offer prizes but really not many people in 6v6 play for prizes, being the best is a larger motivator and having any prizes for a game like TF2 is a blessing.

Other problem with ETF2L is we spend too much time mocking TheSucker, I once failed to set default dates on time for this reason.

IPZIE

SUAVE

i get eye cancer and soul aids looking at the new forum :C

kaidus

WiK?

“Whenever something like that was tried (enforce real nick names, force upload of STV demos, …) somebody did not follow the new rules, got punished, whined and the rule was ignored for the rest of the season or abolished because it was apparently not wanted by the teams. At the end of the day, we have to listen to the wishes of the players in this league (Assuming they are letting us know what they wish for, but that is different problem).”

I don’t really care about the rest of the league – it would be nice but for it to serve it’s purpose it only really needs to effect prem. If there is a legitimate argument for why premiership teams should not use real nicks, provide STVs, etc please let me know cause I’d absolutely love to hear them.

Rescheduling is a slightly different issue – I still think each team should have a wildcard but if they only have a very limited ability to reschedule then they will be a lot more careful about their scheduling, and won’t cancel games just because one of their players is hungover or whatever ridiculous joke excuses people use.

IPZIE

SUAVE

Quoted from evokje

[…]
I loled hard when skyride posted it but when 50 people reposted it was even funnier :D

germans -_-

h1

:3
BM

ill help in anyform i can ippz, since every one else seems to just post shite, ill offer my help and sexual acts if needs be to get this ball rolling. rather put effort into something than just post shit, add me if ya want me help :)

Matt

TEZC
TEZC

Most of the points made here covering everything that I could have thought of.

However I think a few key things need to be reiterated:

The status of being a prem player.

Winning prem needs to be seen as something to want to reach by both new and old players/teams. How often have we seen teams reach prem, then fold / cba because they have reached the be all and end all of TF2, there is no incentive for them to attempt to compete at that level due to a lack of money / prizes / accolades even?. I am not exactly too sure how this problem can be addressed due to how TF2 is seen in valves picture as a casual hat game and the lack of proper sponsors.

The lack of interest from other parties in the TF2 scene.

In my opinion this is due to the size of the community and the lack of interest in watching it by pub players. If you take a look at any of the up and coming games (I will use LoL as an example because it is a scene I am familiar with it). If you go on to Twitch or Owned you regularly see INDIVIDUAL players with 15000+ viewers watching there stream and as much as 70000+ watching events / lans. Alongside this is the support RIOT offered the game in terms of financing the competitive scene as well as listening to the professional community. This created an atmosphere where people wanted to get good at the game and then compete at the top for the cash and prizes and people wanted to watch in an attempt to improve.

The issue with community run leagues that do not focus on the competitive scene.

ETF2L as wonderful a place it is, is run by people who have no idea of what it is like to play at premiership level and seem to be un-wanting / unable to listen to them or even accept them onto the admin staff. On top of this look at how dreadful this website is, it does not draw people in and looks like something designed about 10 years ago. It needs a complete revamp and overhaul (imo). Until we have a league that complete focuses on the top end of TF2 we as a community cannot expand beyond its current level. (Some very good points made about how we might have fucked up our chance of this with ESL)

Edit: Will add some more later.

Last edited by Matt,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Skyride

I’m going to say right now that I’m quite comfortable with Koeitje being denied adminship in etf2l. I don’t dislike the guy, but I certainly don’t think he’s someone I’d trust with such privileges.

Ipz on the other hand seems like someone worth giving a chance.

I’ve been a moderator on a board that has FAR more members than ETF2L has. Lets be honest, ETF2L is just a tiny speck. I’ve seen a lot of stuff under NDA’s (well I didn’t have to actually sign anything, that was the level of trust there). So I don’t know what you expect I’d do or pull off, but I would like to know what the hell you are on about?

+ what Animal said. This community is just a big circle jerk when it comes to the people in a position of power.

Last edited by Koeitje,

Bakuraptor

TTTT
TT

I don’t have the experience to criticize the admins, talk about the importance of unlocks, any of that shit. What I can write about, though, is just how difficult it is to actually get into 6v6 competitive (or highlander competitive, for that matter) if you’re trying to start playing TF2 competitively. The atmosphere and hype in the community at the moment – through the great content that VanillaTV has consistently been putting out and the build-up to i46 – is awesome; and there’s clearly interest in competitive TF2. If you look at the number of div 6 players who want to join a team (the majority for 6v6 classes) – it currently stands at 83 people over the last month who want to find a team that have actually made a post in the etf2l recruitment section alone. And every time a newbie mix is announced it’s filled within two minutes by people who’d be perfectly able to, and are keen to, play at a div 6 level.

And yet when it comes to forming an actual team, it’s practically impossible – the best, and practically the only way for people to get into a team is by already knowing people in the community, something that’s a very unlikely prerequisite for a large proportion of people trying to enter the competitive community for the first time. It’s a really big bottleneck that in my opinion is absolutely nixing any growth that TF2 might be able to achieve- it’s nigh on impossible for new people to get involved.

But there are loads of things that could be done to encourage growth in this way. Something simple could be better advertising the fact that etf2l has that 1000-slot mumble server for teams to use, which would make it much easier for people to get a team channel running and save the hassle of getting a mumble serve; a section on the etf2l website called ‘Getting Started’ or something of that nature surely wouldn’t be hard to implement; just linking to the huge bas of disparate resources to help people get a team started, like Fish’s channel with all the great advice that has for new players, as well as so many of the other things that exist, would be a good start and, I assume, wouldn’t be too much work to implement.

On top of that, there are plenty of other ways to get teams going. A really good recent example would be the Round Robin mentoring tournament, which took place last Sunday. The tournament (in highlander format) itself was organised by having players individually sign up through filling in a google docs form with their class, whether they could play on the day of the tournament, and so on. 3 teams were formed from this (largely, I believe, because there were only three teams that were able to mentor them) and each of those teams got some mentoring in the basics of playing competitive – map strategy, teamwork, that sort of thing. Then there was the actual tournament in round-robin format; and two of the teams (I believe) decided to carry on playing together for UGC, Wireplay, etc; and just like that another 18 or so people managed to get into competitive out of 27 (not counting those people from the third team that also want to carry on playing). And I bet if etf2l tried to do something similar for sixes or highlander on a wider scale, promoted by VTV, on reddit, and so on, I’m sure you’d be able to get even more teams joining etf2l – though as things stand, it feels like there’s a massive bottleneck preventing that from happening.

Anyway, that’s a massive wall of text – tl;dr It’s incredibly hard for new people to enter the scene even if they know about it and want to, and I bet that the community would easily be able to fix and improve that.

Last edited by Bakuraptor,

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/didnt-read-lol.gif

Luckily I’m quitting TF2 (again) so nothing of this matters. I do think the game is pretty much done for, especially here in Europe. It’s probably going to die along with the Highlander fad

Regen

nf.
9F

Quoted from .

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/didnt-read-lol.gif

Luckily I’m quitting TF2 (again) so nothing of this matters. I do think the game is pretty much done for, especially here in Europe. It’s probably going to die along with the Highlander fad

We need forum admins to remove posts like these, they make totally NO sense at all and all they do is demotivate players.

Norrland3000

Quoted from Bakuraptor

Wall of text

+5
Totally agree on this one, we should encourage new people in, we should have a big fucking banner, text or something that new people want to click on.

And when they have clicked that link they are hooked. With movies of top teams, guides, link too newbiemumble. It should be so much fun and good information that you just want to play before even reading it.

Maybe too much OFF-T but anyhow :)

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Norrland3000

[…]

+5
Totally agree on this one, we should encourage new people in, we should have a big fucking banner, text or something that new people want to click on.

And when they have clicked that link they are hooked. With movies of top teams, guides, link too newbiemumble. It should be so much fun and good information that you just want to play before even reading it.

Maybe too much OFF-T but anyhow :)

#mpuktf2.pickup & mpuk pubservers.

Norrland3000

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

#mpuktf2.pickup & mpuk pubservers.

Sorry but that’s not the same thing.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Norrland3000

[…]

Sorry but that’s not the same thing.

No, it’s the same thing. It’s just another part of it. Look to your right. What does it say?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 ... 11 Next »