Forum

Can Low skill teams actually beat High skill teams?

Created 16th March 2010 @ 04:45

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »

Rude-

Having played ESH vs the Empathy div2 squad, we’ve been steamrolled but it was a good experience to point out what went wrong and what has to be improved in order to climb higher in etf2l.

Now back on topic, no, but playing higher level teams is sure a good way to improve and cups like ESH are a nice playground for lower skill teams.

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

I think it’s key for lower teams to take small victories against teams that are significantly better “on paper”. For instance a D3 team playing against Dignitas. You might get beaten 5-0, but how long is left on the clock? Did you win any CP3s? What did you do well in the game?

This.

As a D3-D6 team, sign up for the cups, especially the ESH cups. 30 minutes per match, guaranteed to get raped on the first evening, but a great way to get a decent game against a team that you normally wouldn’t play against.

Exfane

EPA
TWIN

Quoted from dunc

My teams have always suffered from this. Wonder why….

Coz your top D1 :DDDD

dunc

infs
dp.

That’s not quite what I was referring to :p

psunfragga

cc//

Quoted from broesel

We once beat a Div5 mix team. And we usually fail against most Div6 teams on standard maps (Granary etc…), so… :P

But still, the fact it’s very unlikely to win against upper Div teams is the reason we didn’t sign up for the Sapphire tournament thingy.

WE WOULD JUST GET RAPED SO HARD. So will be all the other low skill teams who signed up, tho

whats your plan to improve? if i ever go up against a team who has out played my team, or even in a mix (no div/skill included) and i see something that worked well its still learning for the future. We’ve been rolled on maps by stronger teams and at the very least from it i will take where our weak points are. If you can change your mentality of being ‘raped’ to ‘we lost but lets learn something’ your team should stay motivated. The best way we mark how we improve is playing teams stronger than us, to see if we eventually beat them or had a score higher than before.

I really hope that your perspective changes to have constructive game feedback.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Lots of different replies, I come to gather the answer to my question is…’Yes’.

A low skilled Div 6 team can beat a Div 1 team, same way a non-league team can beat Manchester United/Chelsea in football or a top team can lose in any sport/game to semi-pro team (Div 6 ETF2L would be classed semi-pro).

Reason why this is true – the low skilled team can play at their best individually and as a team, have luck go their way whilst the high skilled team can play at their worst, not play as a team and have horrible luck. Chances of this happening are so small it might probably never happen but it is possible.

Or the high skill team might play drunk and try to shoot eachother. Same thing really…

caned

MEAT
LEGO

Quoted from Hildreth

Reason why this is true – the low skilled team can play at their best individually and as a team, have luck go their way whilst the high skilled team can play at their worst, not play as a team and have horrible luck. Chances of this happening are so small it might probably never happen but it is possible.

I could told u that without a 4 page thread :]

Waster

Quoted from Hildreth

Lots of different replies, I come to gather the answer to my question is…’Yes’.

A low skilled Div 6 team can beat a Div 1 team, same way a non-league team can beat Manchester United/Chelsea in football or a top team can lose in any sport/game to semi-pro team (Div 6 ETF2L would be classed semi-pro).

Or the high skill team might play drunk and try to shoot eachother. Same thing really…

There is a reason why a high skilled team is just that high skilled and a low skilled team not. A high skilled player can evaluate a situation in a fraction of a second and make the right decision in the very same moment. Thats something called gamesense. When he is in a high skilled team he can feel what the other players will do and the other players know exactly what he is doing. Thats teamwork. These things are trained when playing like 100 times with eachothers and are done correctly even when people are drunk, tired and have a bad day. Low skilled players however hardly have a clue and know whats happening after 10 seconds (and some players really have no clue at all whats happening) and need another 10 seconds to make a decisions and so always running behind the facts.

broesel

LAME

Quoted from psunfragga

[…]

whats your plan to improve?

My plan to improve also contains playing against better teams. BETTER teams, not teams that are like Zeus compared to GoD being a human if you wanna see it like that.

I will just be honest: low skill teams suck that much compared to high skill teams that they don’t really learn anything useful from matches against those better teams. It’s just too hard to actually ‘get’ how the other team just ‘raped’ you and even if you do it’s too complex to implement it in your own gameplay. Even in STVs it’s not always that easy to see if you don’t have superior gamesense – which you usually just have when you already play in a high skilled team.

See the dilemma?

btw: lol, “Zeus compared to GoD” looks pretty strange – of course i meant my clan with GoD :D

Last edited by broesel,

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from caned

[…]

Sounds better from my mouth…

Plus least it keeps the debate going without a Dunc vs FB flame war :P

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from caned

[…]

You need Friendly Fire on for this though ;-)

l l l

a low skill team can never acquire the team chemistry compared to that of a div1 team. Aim is pretty easy to get in this game, getting coordinated with 5 random guys is not.

the bm man

k^m

I would disagree there. While it is very difficult to get great team chemistry and teamwork going I think that aim is still a major part. I’ve seen lower skilled teams with great teamwork and coordination that don’t have the aim to pull it off, but Im a div6 shitnerd so i wouldnt know the ins and outs of a top team!

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

It’s aim, individual gamesense and teamwork. The first two is why mix higher level teams still roll low level teams.

caned

MEAT
LEGO

Quoted from the bm man

I would disagree there. While it is very difficult to get great team chemistry and teamwork going I think that aim is still a major part. I’ve seen lower skilled teams with great teamwork and coordination that don’t have the aim to pull it off, but Im a div6 shitnerd so i wouldnt know the ins and outs of a top team!

I’d agree here. In one of my old clans (not naming any names :3) we had some players who went straight into competetive, had great gamesense and knew exactly where to go, but couldn’t hit a heavy who was stood still rolling his minigun.

We also had some people I found from dm_ and bball games who had amazing aim but couldn’t cap a point if there was 11 people down.

The people with amazing aim were more useful.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »