Created 8th September 2009 @ 12:48

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3

Moha^

NO TFTRUE !:<

ouch

i say yes to no tftrue

iQue

keso

I’d love my 130 fov in TF2 but this isn’t a true deathmatch game and classes that are supposed to ambush (spy mainly) have a bit of trouble.

Hitsounds, love them, but enabling TFTrue only for that would be kind of silly.

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

Gief r_aspectratio back :<

nvc

no hitsounds. screams is a far more interesting idea as you can hear them too when you’re not hitting thus giving the environment factor to the game. hitsounds promote spamming as it rewards random shots. screams should be fixed though…

no fov due to the hardware factor of it

/ignore

Sekhel

/ignore Anakin’s endless attempts despise endless community refusals…

FADe

something needs to stop you being able to change your interp. completely fucks over the hitboxes

JamesBong

Lapinou Team

If you want hitsounds then go play TF2DM, after a couple hours on that server you’ll instinctively know how much damage you’re dealing anyway. Just don’t touch TF2 its quite nice as it is right now :)

And higher FOV, hmm dunno.. seems scouts and spies will suffer from it. As a soldier / sniper I don’t really have an issue with it :p

Rele

something needs to stop you being able to change your interp. completely fucks over the hitboxes

Changing interp doesnt do anything to the hitboxes.

flix

n2o

No.

And about the scout/demo overpower and soldier underpower debate, make maps that suit soldiers instead (less roofs, less terrain abnormalities and a few seconds of setup time).

eoN^

Actually it does a tiny little bit if i remember right, because your interp is the delay inbetween your side and the server side. But maybe cl_lagcompensation cancels it out?

Rele

Actually it does a tiny little bit if i remember right, because your interp is the delay inbetween your side and the server side. But maybe cl_lagcompensation cancels it out?

interp just determines how many ms the server goes back in time to interpolate missing packets. The higher the value, the more accurate is the interpolation (meaning it does even increase your gaming experience).

However, a higher interp also means if you shoot someone and he dies from it, he will drop dead later. That’s why some people feel like the hitboxes are off and also why people that get shot think they were already around the corner when they were in a perfectly valid place for the other client.

FADe

well as messing around with interp changes the speed at which players positions are updated I would of thought interp would of crippled hitboxes in tf2 if everyone had different settings… like it did in css till zblock blocked the use of the command and you stopped dying from looking round a corner you peaked about 1 – 1.5 secs before.

gryzor

zBlock in css “restricted” interp, not cl_interp. It would take too long to explain how cl_interp works exactly, read my SWEDISH article about it on onlinegamer.se :)

Edit: Perhaps it wouldn’t. Say, some common cl_interp values are 0.01, 0.022 and 0.03 (default 0.1). We could view this as the amount of time the CLIENT (cl_) will backtrack and sample, then apply “interpolation” to smooth out movements (thus, also giving you an imaginary extra.. erh… shot in the dark.. ~10ms extra ‘ping’ at 0.022). Of course, this is not very accurate, but you get the basic idea. Lower interp would give you less smooth models, but theoretically you would get a more ‘direct’ representation of models on the screen.

Now mix rates, cmd/updaterates and other shit into it and it gets really funny.

Largos^

PRO

interp just determines how many ms the server goes back in time to interpolate missing packets. The higher the value, the more accurate is the interpolation (meaning it does even increase your gaming experience).

However, a higher interp also means if you shoot someone and he dies from it, he will drop dead later. That’s why some people feel like the hitboxes are off and also why people that get shot think they were already around the corner when they were in a perfectly valid place for the other client.

Well put, Relentless. Here’s the official Valve Wiki article if people want the technical details. (I know it won’t stop the steady stream of interp threads, but here’s hoping.)

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3