Forum

Force-A-Nature

Created 14th June 2009 @ 21:36

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 44 45 46 ... 64 Next »

iQue

keso

It’s often overlooked that if that fan scout would have been using a scattergun, he would have killed you anyway (and go on to rape your sollys with the remaining 4 shots). Not always, but often enough.

I don’t think the fan is that annoying, if it’s anything that’s annoying it’s the scout class itself, and I’ve been playing scout ever since I began with comp, only recently I’ve played medic. Scout is almost too easy sometimes regardless of weapon of choice.

rtan

-9w-

It’s often overlooked that if that fan scout would have been using a scattergun, he would have killed you anyway (and go on to rape your sollys with the remaining 4 shots). Not always, but often enough.

I don’t think the fan is that annoying, if it’s anything that’s annoying it’s the scout class itself, and I’ve been playing scout ever since I began with comp, only recently I’ve played medic. Scout is almost too easy sometimes regardless of weapon of choice.

If 1 scout can come up behind you guys, kill the medic and then rape your 2 sollys with 4 shots I would be seriously worried lol.

BERSERKER

broder
PRO

Your argument doesn’t justify the knockback, though I certainly agree on the damage. I just believe that it should be removed unless the knockback will only take effect upon meatshots, and could be increased during those instances for all I care.

I played against good FaN scouts as medic. And there were few times where I thought: “I died because of the Fan and would not have died if it was the scattergun”. However there were multiple times where the 2 fan shots would not kill me, and after that the FaN scout is pretty much dead if you have any half decent soldiers.

Your argument doesn’t justify the knockback, though I certainly agree on the damage. I just believe that it should be removed unless the knockback will only take effect upon meatshots, and could be increased during those instances for all I care.

Since added damage is not really important in scout vs scout I do think that my argument justifies knockback for easier 2shots. However like I said, you are also correct and the requirement of only hitting for 20 damage for an easy 2shot makes it a bit to easy. Fixing the knockback might be pretty hard though, since any form of knockback will interupt your movent and make you predictable. Matching the firing speed to that of the scattergun might do it, but that will open up other problems.

Given the ideal situation of two scouts of perfect skill facing each other. One has FAN, the other has Scattergun. Both fire at the same time, on the center of the model.

FAN will deal 110ish damage, scatter 100ish. The scattergun scout is forced to compensate his aim due to him being thrown back to fire another shot. The FAN will fire before, and finish him off.

Your counter-argument was ‘but sometimes the scout didn’t 2-shot me’, that is a human error, not an argument in discussing the balance of something. Please do not present anecdotal evidence as it’s validity is zero. The FAN has the potential to fire 2 shots faster than the scattergun. The first shot needs only do 40 damage to set up for a perfect meatshot, meaning if you do 40 damage on the first shot, assuming a competent player who can hit a predictive arc, you will win, as the scattergun scout, even if firing his first shot at the exact same time, will not have time to fire a second one. And even if he did, he would be disadvantaged with compensating his aim for the messed up movement.

This is not remedied by limiting the FAN clip to 2, and that’s my opinion based on the arguments I’ve presented.

BERSERKER

broder
PRO

But you’re overlooking the main point in the argument here. Very true, if a scout with perfect aim wielded the scattergun over the FAN he would be more lethal. Consider, it requires skill to two-shot someone with the scattergun, and understand that it is far easier to hit the center of a model when it is flying in a predictive arc, such as if hit with the FAN knockback. Now consider that there are far more average scouts than high skilled scouts, and then all of these are capable of two-shotting other scouts due to the ease of hitting a knocked target. This is my gripe with it. It grants the same reward while not having as high a requirement for skill, and at the same time, in various 1v1 situations, assuming perfect aim and no first blood to either side, as long as it’s within meatshot range the FAN will also prevail.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

I’m all for alternative playstyles, but as far as I’m concerned the knockback shouldn’t work unless it actually was a meatshot in the first place, so I’m not a fan of the FAN.

This is imo the only good argument against the FaN that is left. 2shotting scouts from closerange with the FaN might be a bit to easy. So a fix might be nice but a ban is to much in my opinion.

The point is that the FaN has an enormous drawback by having only 2 bullets. So its logically that it will need a big advantage to make it a viable alternative. After shooting your 2 shots the weapon will have a disadvantage on the scattergun. So to be balanced the FaN will need to be stronger on his first 2 shots. So its obvious that it will need to be easier to 2shot.
And in my opinion having added movement options is an advantage that is not as bad as screwing rocket and stickyjumps from any distance. The reason some people complain is that the movement a scout gains with the FaN is not fair towards soldiers(who need to do selfdamage for it). However I dont think that argument is a good one since first of all the scout will lose 1 of his 2 shots, so the jumping wont help much in combat. And second, this is a teamgame and not class vs class, so unless the movent options totally screw up gameplay(think stunning ubers) or is absurdly overpowered in combat I see no reason to opose it.
People will need to accept that new weapons have advantages.

The so because it can only fire 2 bullets in such rapid succession it completly dicks over any scattergun scout 1v1 even if the fan scout has worse aim it is balanced? And it’s harder to chase him down when he misses his shots than you think.

I played against good FaN scouts as medic. And there were few times where I thought: “I died because of the Fan and would not have died if it was the scattergun”. However there were multiple times where the 2 fan shots would not kill me, and after that the FaN scout is pretty much dead if you have any half decent soldiers.

Pistol? You’ll have time to switch to it. In the time it takes a scattergun scout to take 2 shots the fan scout can fire 2 shot + already being ready to fire it’s pistol.

This is not true. I can name several players I’ve seen become better because of the easy meatshots the fan offers. I’m not going to name ‘m here. Most people that now use the fan are not capable of pulling off these multikills if they would use the scatter.

And +123198273198 to Berserker for understanding exactly what is wrong with it.

iQue

keso

If 1 scout can come up behind you guys, kill the medic and then rape your 2 sollys with 4 shots I would be seriously worried lol.

It was a theoretical situation. :p And if a scout does manage to get behind you in a weak moment, it can go bad really fast haha.

This is not true. I can name several players I’ve seen become better because of the easy meatshots the fan offers. I’m not going to name ‘m here. Most people that now use the fan are not capable of pulling off these multikills if they would use the scatter.

I do agree that there are a few scouts that use the fan as a crutch to make up for their poor aim or just simply get an easy second shot, and it’s a shame. Not much you can do about it either unless you remake the weapon entirely. It’s not a perfect weapon and could definitely get balanced further, but I personally don’t think it’s as bad as some people think.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

It’s balanced in pretty much every aspect except vs other scouts.

iQue

keso

No knockback on scouts? Or maybe no knockback on lighter classes at all? :P

Bit of a half-arsed solution but it would work pretty good I think.

archy

No knockback on scouts? Or maybe no knockback on lighter classes at all? :P

Bit of a half-arsed solution but it would work pretty good I think.

so a scout/sniper etc. should not get a knockback? but solly/demo and above all A HEAVY should?

i hope im not the only one who sees a… problem in this idea. would just make no sense at all

RaCio

GoT²

Your counter-argument was ‘but sometimes the scout didn’t 2-shot me’, that is a human error, not an argument in discussing the balance of something. Please do not present anecdotal evidence as it’s validity is zero.

Yeah, I forgot to add some details, ique already posted what I meant to say.

What I meant was that there were more times that I thought “a scattergun would have killed me here” than the other way around.
And you cant assume 100% accuracy, so its fair to say that a FaN scout will miss some shots, and if he does he is in a worse situation then a scattergun scout.

numlocked

(king of all rollouts)
Epsilon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjyPdRte75Q

ban it..

Shambler

-9m-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjyPdRte75Q

ban it..

i think you meant to post in the “ban the FoN” thread.

skinnie

TCM

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Dny

T2P

Dont ban it! I like easy kills ;D

piece

ban

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 44 45 46 ... 64 Next »