Forum

Does 'skill' level really = experience?

Created 18th January 2011 @ 13:30

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »

Monkeh

.:ne:.

I was thinking about the all the skill police arguments and e-drama of people ‘over rating’ themselves on recruitment posts and realised that when someone says, ‘Sorry, but not Div3’ etc, what they mean is that they haven’t got the experience of playing div 3.

Most soldiers in the higher divs can hit air shots like bosses, pogo around like Zebbidy on acid and generally do the solly thing to a similar level, what makes the difference imo, is the timing of said exploits, the teamwork and the positioning of the player. Hiding on this little piece of scenery or just waiting those few extra vital seconds before attempting the medic pick.

Granted there is a diffeeence in actual skill, (aim/movement etc), between div 6 and 4, but over that, where does the individual skill come into it? Isn’t it more the team’s tactics or ‘skill’ of the main caller that matters most?

Having never played at a high level I’m asking out of curiosity as I find it slightly amusing when the skill police come down on a player who rates themselves as Div3/Div4 or Div1/2 and they go, ‘Sorry brah! Not div 1’.

Could someone clarify the difference between a div1 scout or solly and a div 2 player of the same class? Is the difference simply experience and teamwork or is it obvious to those who have played at the top level that a certain player simply couldn’t manage playing in Div x, y or z?

I guess I’m interested in how would YOU as a judge, decide on someone’s ‘skill’ level? Only by judging performance in officials? Using scoreboards? Watching demos? How long will it take? Would you know after 1 match? 10? How accurate do you think you are?

Only ‘cos I iz curious, plus it’s quite around here today. Discuss ahoy!

flisko

atu???
TWIN

gamesensze

Monkeh

Thanks for that in depth analysis flisko, your input is highly appreciated :)

Sketch

MM

no main calls = shit team
good main calls is what will take a team beyond div 4

AnimaL

you cant win with w+m1 once you arrive in div1/prem…

if you have good aim or you dont lose ubers and know who to heal ur easy div2, maybe even div1 in some cases(like mike)… but going in top d1 requires some nice amount of work in watching demos and improving ur positioning and gamesense. Thats usually couple of months of playing against/with good teams

Mike

TEZC

Quoted from AnimaL

you cant win with w+m1 once you arrive in div1/prem…

if you have good aim or you dont lose ubers and know who to heal ur easy div2, maybe even div1 in some cases(like mike)… but going in top d1 requires some nice amount of work in watching demos and improving ur positioning and gamesense. Thats usually couple of months of playing against/with good teams

i don’t play medic…

AnimaL

Quoted from Mike

[…]

i don’t play medic…

if you have good aim or you dont lose ubers

btw about the soldiers – euro soldiers suck… i guess its some of the top soldiers who are passive as fuck and then low soldiers watch demos and learn from it… so we are all in a huge hole now, having only handful of decent roaming soldiers

so please, dont watch euro games if you want to learn how to play soldier, watch yanks, they suck at tf2 but my god, the soldiers at least do something in the games

Last edited by AnimaL,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Learn the place and time to fight.

erratic

well, i guess some people could still have little experience, but still be able to play at said level, seeing they are far more keen at correcting mistakes, understanding what they are doing, etc. :)

Spike Himself

TC

Does ‘skill’ level really = experience?

To a certain extent.

It’s mostly IQ and general cleverness – making the right decisions at the right time and understanding what’s going on and how it affects the game. And talent.

Yep, pretty much. Best players have a ton of experience.
EDIT: With experience, I don’t mean hacking DM 24/7.

Last edited by happy little boozer,

crzfst

If i can play at top div1, anyone can.

Taimou

I always win with w+m1

Always.

Ps. I got bind mouse2 kill

byte

I’ll keep it short and simple, if you need a further explanation send me a message on steam.

The efficiency of each individual class + The efficiency of your 6 players ability to coordinate around each individuals class efficiency.

Confusing?

Good, no one said it was meant to be easy =)

Cheers

Byte

Spira

Quoted from AnimaL

[…][…]

btw about the soldiers – euro soldiers suck… i guess its some of the top soldiers who are passive as fuck and then low soldiers watch demos and learn from it… so we are all in a huge hole now, having only handful of decent roaming soldiers

so please, dont watch euro games if you want to learn how to play soldier, watch yanks, they suck at tf2 but my god, the soldiers at least do something in the games

Maybe don’t heal the demo as much.. and allow gunboats.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »