Forum

Does 'skill' level really = experience?

Created 18th January 2011 @ 13:30

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7

poxie

Quoted from Arcadizz1e

skill as a scout is getting 48 kills in a game, experience is realizing that only 20 of them were actually useful.

profound =o

not ‘pro found’

profound

Last edited by poxie,

alfa

Quoted from ih

Reference point for a good soldier:

*2000+ points on some good mge server (skills required: dm aim, airshots, juggle, standard ammo management, micro positioning) – I sux at this, can’t get over 1550 points on nervous energy mge server :S but I’ve seen an guy called some kind of philosopher who had like 2600+, and Mike has around 2500.

*experience of some 500+ lobbies or mixes (much greater than lobbies) – thx guys for mercing me (especially zeyork :-* ), a div4 solly, even tho I play medic often, or clan pcw’s and offies (skills required: common team play, mumble comms, calling, macro positioning, push/pull dynamics, target priority choosing, ammo management both yours and map’s, hp packs exploiting, sneaking, basically combat and communication intelligence, stable internet, activity) – This is my best attribute.

*gone through some jump maps like some from tf2jump.com (skills required: very good jump feeling) – I’ve never been good at jumping.

Cheers!

That sounds like the most awful soldier in the universe. You can have as many soldiers hours and MGE points as you want and still be bad at the game. If you remember Iller, the guy had alot of hours (2500 or close to 3000) he was playing not higher than div3 I think. And what about jumping maps? Most jumping map videos are made by people from the lower divs, and that doesn’t mean they are better at playing soldier than a player from div1 who doesn’t even have jump maps downloaded (or ever play them for instance) or even someone from a higher div who off-classes.

P.S: Refer to Animal’s post on the first page, for more depth into this matter

Last edited by alfa,

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Reading through this reminds me of a lesson I got off sLayed – ‘Hildreth as Demo watch the chokes, even if someone is through, you have to be aware if their team is going to support’.

So next game we played Badlands, their demo jumped through onto our spire and I saw the glory 0.5% chance of an airshot in my sights, I moved my crosshair in the position that I thought would get the airshot (though it was more likely to go straight up vertically and land on my head) then suddenly remember sLayed’s advice and switched my attention back to the choke and sure enough came pouring through their combo and a few ‘skillfully’ spammed m1 + m2 stickies they were sufficiently damaged to have their medic pop as I jumped back to my medic and low and behold their demo had been dealt with by my teammates, they had ubered early and we could push back onto them really aggressively and re-take 3.

Lesson I learnt that faithful day was it doesn’t take a lot of aim to do your job effectively, especially in the lower divisions and before that I had spent my entire ammoload trying to kill this 1 guy that runs in behind to distract us and by the time I realise they have pushed I am looking at a deathcam.

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

I can’t airshot for shit yet I’m doing fine at a div3 level after playing demoman for 2 months :D

It’s all about dat spam yo’

+Because I don’t do much snazzy shit making frag movies is fucking hard. Nobody wants to see a 5 killstreak from me spawn camping :D

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7