Forum

New update - Holy cow!

Created 3rd February 2009 @ 01:36

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 14 15 16 Next »

Renegade

Imperial

so its no longer stickies should do 150, its that they dont.

The maximum damage for a sticky is 172ish. Thats a perfect position, whilst the demo is closest to the sticky at point of explosion.

So really the point is stickies should do loads of damage because demomen should be allowed to miss the target and still get reasonable damage?
Really in that case the timer should be removed, the damage brought in line, and then allow them to do reasonable damage with a perfectly positioned sticky.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Demomen do kill scouts often (those match statistics), that is because of the ‘sticky trap’ kills. It’s often scouts who get caught out by them because they run through first, or run through the opposite side to the heavy classes (without an uber). If it was common practice for a medic to pair with 2 scouts, you would find the demoman would kill twice the number of soldiers as they wouldn’t be ubered when they walk through choke points.

If you took away the sticky trap kills (stickies on a choke or cap point) the demoman would probably kill very few scouts. But with the sticky trap, that kill count is exhagerated and doesn’t reflect the ‘deathmatch’ capabilities of a scout vs a demoman.

Demoman is generally > combo due to having mass spam that damages multiple targets. Scouts are able to pick off the demoman because he has low health and projectile weaponary (what scouts are best at avoiding). Soldiers have an easier to aim projectile that explodes on impact with walls, floors and ceilings. This makes rockets at lot more effective against scouts and combined with a shotgun that can pretty much kill a scout in the same number of shots a scout can kill a soldier makes them THE effective scout killer.

quoting myself “Demoman is generally > combo”
That is asuming your combo is all bunched up. If you spread out a bit then it is less effective so no, I’m not trying to say a demoman is > 3 players, because that is circumstancial, same as a soldier could be > 3 players if they were bunched up, only less effective.

AcidReniX

And the thing is, they SHOULD do 150 damage when under your feet, but in reality they don’t do it often, so that 150 damage is a non factor. If you nerf demomen by 33%, sure their MAX damage would do like 100, but the practical damage would be about 50 (instead of ~80ish). Medics would be able to nearly out heal a demoman’s damage, and a 2 x soldier + medic combo would be unstoppable by anything else except a 2 x soldier + medic combo.

This is a pointless argument, because you don’t understand the roles of the classes in TF2. Just because your class doesn’t do what you want it to do, doesn’t mean a different class should be nerfed. Your class has a role and it accomplishes that task perfectly. Demoman has a role and also accomplishes that task perfectly. You are calling for a change that is clearly not nessesary as the game plays perfectly fine just the way it is. Matches have always been competitive and it’s not always essential to hunt down the demoman before you can make a push.

And no, TF2 should not be aiming to have DL2. Then you create a spam fest. It doesn’t matter how much or little damage the stickies and grenades do, if there are 2 demomen, everywhere you walk an explosion hits you in the face. There is no need for people to push out, they can just keep firing 2 x worth of stickies and pipes until the medic gets tagged and killed which will eventually happen as he can’t heal himself.

Demolimit 1 was added in my opinion, not because the demoman is too powerful, but because by having 1 demoman, it speeds up the game and only 1 choke point can be spammed / stickied at a time (unless you divide your stickies and attention and then your blockaid is half as effective). It was also added to reduce the unaimed spam and amount of exploding objects on the field which increases the need for skillful aiming and tactical positioning.

Even if they did nerf the demoman by 33% of whatever you are proposing, I still would like to see demolimit 1 for the reasons said above.

spence

¤_¤

Keith speaks the truth

Renegade

Imperial

The max damage for a nerfed sticky would be around about the same as a rocket.

But the grenade retains the damage even when its far away from players that its hitting, unlike the rockets. Another thing, if a rocket makes impact on a player, doing its max damage at that range, then it cannot hurt any other players.

Also you say stickies should do 150 damage when under feet. Again I am asking you why, and all you do is rant long winded posts that dont answer what Ive asked.

The current role of the demoman is to be overpowered in terms of damage, and I understand that. I think it should be changed.

Waebi

‹Con›

Medic has most points so he must have been playing best, because points define skill.

i always knew i am something special.

Rele

Medic has most points so he must have been playing best, because points define skill.

Yes medics are overpowered, thats why they are limited to 1 =S

stikky

[LOL]
[LOL]

“Also you say stickies should do 150 damage when under feet. Again I am asking you why, and all you do is rant long winded posts that dont answer what Ive asked.”

And why scout should run at 133% speed, huh?

perry

[MIPC]

“The maximum damage for a sticky is 172ish. Thats a perfect position, whilst the demo is closest to the sticky at point of explosion.”

Yes those situations happen really often, demoman sitting next to an enemy and placing a sticky on the opponents feet, then detonating it and doing that 172 damage.

stikky

[LOL]
[LOL]

Stickies dont have faloff damage.

AnAkkk

Sticky do have fall off damage. Grenades don’t.
One sticky under enemy feet and you being the closest possible of the sticky will probably do around 170 dmg. One sticky under enemy feet and you being at a long distance of the sticky will do A LOT LESS.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

I never knew this!
I love you Anakin <3

AcidReniX

“Also you say stickies should do 150 damage when under feet. Again I am asking you why, and all you do is rant long winded posts that dont answer what Ive asked.”

See, I have the luxury of not having to answer this, as valve are the ones who decided that stickies should do 150 damage when under feet. I’m not arguing to change anything, I’m arguing to keep it the same. If you do want an answer, it’s because ‘They do’. That is why they should do 150 damage, because valve created the game and gave them that value.

Now I have a question. Why should a sticky do the same as a rocket? Why can’t you accept that a sticky is more powerful than a rocket. That is the way valve made it. Valve didn’t decide to make stickies the same damage as rockets, because they…… aren’t rockets… they are stickies, and stickies in team fortress 2 do ~150 damage at the feet.

Renegade

Imperial

So what are these balance changes for then? The game was perfectly balanced, but we can change it to make it even more balanced?

Atm I believe scout is the only class to recieve no balancing;

soldier has been nerfed
pyro has been buffed
demo has been nerfed
heavy has been buffed
engi has been buffed
medic has been buffed
sniper has been nerfed
spy has been buffed

most of these have occurred multiple times.

Waebi

‹Con›

Translation of what arx said:
DEMOMAN ARE OP, IT’S OK, GET FRIGGIN OVER IT. KTHX.

<3 my sexy black man lol.

attention, this post MIGHT contain sarcasm.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 14 15 16 Next »