Forum

Fastlane capture/spawntimes

Created 8th January 2009 @ 22:42

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »

skinnie

TCM

LETS DO THIS

Extremer

Imo last point needs complete reworking, not just different capture/spawntimes.

FireStorm

-9m-

Guys just letting you know

and the spawntimes (i checked those, they should be near the truth):

own the middlepoint: spawn in: 14 seconds
own 4th cp: spawn in: 11 seconds
defend 1st: spawn in: 12 seconds

These spawn times are wrong.

Spawn timers work like this, there are respawn waves, when you die you get put in the wave after the next one. So where you tested you timers what you did’t take into account was the fact you respawn time is not fixed, it can be anything between the min respawn wave time to double the min respawn wave time.

For example if the respawn wave time is 10 secs which is standard for valve maps then your respawn time can be between 10 and 20 secs.

Also there is a scaler factor which changes the min respawn wave time depending on how many players there are on the team. The effect of this on 6v6 gameplay is the respawn scaler is 0.79 so u actually respawn 1/5 faster than you would on a normal full public. If you tested your times on a server on your own then this scaler would have been even less so you respawn times would have been even faster. So your figures are not correct.

The respawn wave timers change depending on how many capture points you own. For fastlane they are as follows for a team with 8 or more players on it, for 6 players on the team they are affected by a 0.79 scaler.

If you own 2 OR 1 cps = Min Wave is 10 secs thus average spawn time is 15 secs
If you own 3 cps = Min Wave is 7 secs thus average spawn time is 10.5 secs
If you own 4 cps = Min Wave is 3 secs thus average spawn time is 4.5 secs

N.B. You respawn time does not increase for losing ur 2nd control point.

I don’t think the problem with fast lane is to do with the respawn times anyway, if you increase them for the defending team then for every 1 sec u add to the respawn wave time you add 2 secs to the possible max respawn time so by making the respawn wave or 15 secs for defending the last cp, you might pickup a 30 sec respawn :O.

As fragga said, its the supply cabs being to near to the cp, how many times have you hit the medic with a rocket and hes just ran back into spawn for resub. Or you have ubered on there last cp and they have all just retreated into there spawn till the uber runs out.

Other solution is make the cap time for last really really fast, so unless your standing on it 100 % of the time anyone could cap it in under a sec. This will force teams to STAND ON THE POINT MAGGOTS!!!

FireStorm

Rele

I also went in-game and tried capping the points with 1 demo and afterwards I tried 1 scout:

Granary Middle: Demo = 24, Scout = 16
Granary Second: Demo = 12, Scout = 8
Granary First: Demo = 4, Scout = 2.5

Badlands Middle: Demo = 20, Scout = 13.5
Badlands Second: Demo = 16, Scout = 10.5
Badlands First: Demo = 2, Scout = 1

Fastlane Middle: Demo = 30, Scout = 20
Fastlane Second: Demo = 12, Scout = 8.5
Fastlane First: Demo = 6, Scout = 4
___

Lol, isnt the scout supposed to cap exactly twice as fast as other classes? This is screwed up :P

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Go have a look at cp_well for some answers. Get a stop watch, time how long it takes each class to get from the middle point spawn to an area of the 4th CP where they can engage players trying to recapture the point.

Do the same for fastlane. This includes pipe jumping and rocket jumping while maintaining a ‘combat ready’ level of health.

I say cp_well because i beleive cp_well has quite an even rate of being able to push out from the last point, with the same layout that allows a flank (meaning it’s not always wise to push out).

I think the main problem with fastlane though is not the spawn times, but the openess of point 2/4. Spawn times should hopefully balance that though. Good luck :)

Crusa

Troopers

I don’t think Fastlane need any big changes. I mean comeon do you want every map be the same before you can play “competitive” matches with them?
Fastlane is a bit different than Badlands and Granary (and that is a good thing) and requires a bit different strategies. The problem here is that people (yes you whining div1 players) don’t want to adapt and change their Badlands tactics to match a new map. They want map to be changed to match their current tactics. That is the wrong approach to this issue.

In overall Fastlane could use some very slight modifications. Actually I think the only change needed is a slight 2-4 seconds longer spawn time for attackers. Defenders spawns are good.

Dave

Mafia
wMiC?

Way to completely miss the point Crusa.

Most people here are arguing that it is simply too easy to defend last if you’re a good team – you spawn reasonably quickly, and you can stand IN SPAWN with a health cabinet next to you and still easily defend the point.

However, even if you kill virtually all of their team, by the time you get onto your 2nd point, some of their team will have spawned and are often able to defend it. The respawn times need to be increased slightly by 1-3 seconds for the attackers to give them a chance.

Otherwise, the map isn’t too bad, although not nearly as good as Badlands imo.

Crusa

Troopers

No I didn’t miss the point. I know that last point is easier to defend than granary / badlands final point and I like that.
If the spawn times for offense would be a bit longer and retaking the second point would be a bit easier (it is possible even now but need a bit of practise) then the map would have a more unique flow when you could actually defend the last point. Teams would have to work for the win and not just attack to the last point without much of a plan like Granary / Badlands.
Not every map needs to be the same Badlands dynamics just with different layout of the map.

Moose

[MIPC]

Yeah, fastlane sure is different from well, granary and badlands. Those maps at least give you a moderate chance to reclaim the center and second CPs once you have lost them. In fastlane that’s pretty much impossible (assuming both teams are skilled) unless your opponent screws up with their push compeletely but you’ll be needing a lot of help from your opponent if you intend to do this. Even if you manage wipe out almost the entire enemy team at your second CP, a scout who has just spawned can easily run past your team back to the second CP when you’re trying to cap the center and he will cap the second point faster than you will cap the center even if you have your whole team standing on the point. Of course you can leave some ppl back to defend the 2nd CP while you try to cap the center back but the whole enemy team will be back at the center point long before you have it capped so it will be really hard to get it back. I’ve seen a recovery back to the center only a couple of times in all the rounds I’ve played the map and in each of these, the other team pretty much handed it over on a silver plate when they didn’t back away from the 2nd CP early enough when things started going wrong.

As it is, the outcome of the map is decided by the opening fights at the center point. The only way out is to set up a good turtle defence to the last CP and try to hold on until the time runs out and the round ends in a stalemate. This happens quite often since the last CP is easy to defend when you can just stay inside the respawn next to the health lockers. But if you’re only going to fix the last CP, then the map will be even worse since you can pretty much forfeit the round if you lose the first center fight.

I don’t know if all the 5-point CP maps should follow the game mechanics from Valve’s maps where a good defence leads you to a succesful counter-attack but I for one prefer that to the one that fastlane currently offers.

dunc

infs
dp.

Agreed with Moose. It’s frustrating because Fastlane could be a potentially superb map for 6v6 competitive play if those respawn times – and possibly resupply position – were amended. I don’t think there’s -that- much in it, just 5 seconds here or there.

sniple

What is this then? http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/77072

Silan

(Actual Size)

Hm nice someone has tried, but im not sure the last point is actually easier to cap. Oh well, should try it.

FireStorm

-9m-

Hmm, you don’t want to go changing the map too much because it will no longer be fastlane. Whole arguement here about how it will seperate competive from normal and shit but cba with that one.

The only problem with the map is not the respawn times, but the capture times. Simply put the middle cap and the last cap take far too long to capture. I can think of a reason for a long capture time for middle point.

FYI here are the capture times for people on the point, there is a base rate which increases upto 4 depending on the number of people on the point. It is as follows

1x = 100% = 1.00
2x = 150% = 0.66
3x = 192% = 0.52
4x = 232% = 0.42

Consider this, if a team roll the middle point and the defending team fall back with 2 players to defend cp2. If the capture time is reduced from 30 seconds to say 20 secs (using base times)

So with two scouts capping the point it could be capped in 20 x 0.42 = 8.4 seconds

The defending team has a respawn wave of 10 secs so there respawn will be on avarage 15 secs, travel time of about 6 secs (guess) 15 + 6 = 21 secs. This gives the attackers 21-9 = 12 secs of time with little or no ristance to roll 2nd cap as well. The 30 secs gives the defenders a chance to setup on cp2.

This does however then give the defenders a chance to recap mid IF they can hold cp2.

Maybe we need somewhere between 20 secs and 30 secs for mid cap, can only be found via play testing.

But the biggest problem is the last cap. Its strange as for the 5 cp maps its the one closest to the resupply and the one with the longest cap? It just needs bringing in line with badlands / well which have 1 sec base cap times, forget moving the cp or removing the resupply lockers. Just FORCE teams to stand on the point, if they don’t they lose. If the decide to run back into resub then they will lose the cap.

TL DR

Reduce cap time on cp3 to around 20 secs – 30 secs
Reduce cap time on cp1 to 1 sec in line with badlands and well
Don’t bother with map redesign
Leave spawn timers alone no need to change them if the caps are faster anyway.

FireStorm

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/77072

AnimaL

now only thing we need is one day pro_fastlane cup :]

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »