Forum

Random open question to all medics

Created 1st December 2010 @ 12:09

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 Next »

Spike Himself

TC

Either I don’t understand what you mean, or what you’re trying to do isn’t possible.

Anyway:
alias “weapon” “bind mouse1 +attack; -attack”

Does that not make it impossible to shoot needles without clicking m1 repeatedly? (because of “-attack”)

Edit: nvm i cant read

Last edited by Spike Himself,

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

The problem is that you cannot script anything that “recognizes” you stopped healing your last target. This is why Valve built in the autoheal thing, because you cannot do it by scripting. When you lose healing beam connection to your last target WITH Valve autoheal, it won’t start healing anyone until you use your mouse again, unlike scripted autoheal.

This also means that scripted autoheal is still slightly slower because “mousedown” is a period of not healing. This is only a matter of milliseconds though (maybe 0.5% on a full ubercharge).

I have figured out why probably most people that use scripted autoheal don’t like valve autoheal and vice versa: A lot of people that use valve autoheal like to keep their m1 pressed anyway, maybe this avoids the slight buggyness that MAY POSSIBLY occur that valve autoheal haters are talking about. The guys who use script autoheal only use short clicks to switch targets (because it doesn’t even work if you keep your mousebutton pressed).

To put it short, as far as I’ve tested, there’s no significant difference between the 2 autoheal systems. Only the way you use it differs slightly. The only 2 microscopic differences I can think of are: scripted autoheal gives more risk of healing disguised spy, scripted autoheal might result in ~0.2 seconds longer time to charge uber.

Yes, Valve autoheal has the disadvantage that you have to switch to blut/syring/ubersaw to stop healing, but this could be easily fixed by binding a seperate key to “-attack”.

[edit]Ok silly me, now I said that last thing, I realize that you can also bind a key to “-attack” when using scripted autoheal, to prevent healing when you don’t want to[/edit]

Last edited by skeej,

crzfst

Quoted from Leftism

7% is, at the worst, a 2-3 second advantage (assuming enemy Medic is at maximum rate (2.5% p/s)). I’m sure many people here will say that is probably enough to hold/take a point, although this will probably maybe 1/10 matches(?)

Still, one should stress that auto-heal doesn’t mean faster Ubers. At least at a basic level, Medics should understand the “below 142.5% rule” where the heal rate is halved when the Medic is healing a player who’s health is above this percentage. As patronising as it sounds seeing as I’m discussing this with more established Medics than myself, players looking towards any perceived advantages (keeping it neutral, brov. :P) of auto-heal should understand other mechanics such as this which make a bigger difference to their game than auto-heal will.

:D

Way to make this game complicated. Just play the fucking game people…

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from crzfst

[…]

“I have uber quicker than the enemy”

Is that complicated?

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from Spike Himself

p.s. the fact autoheal is chunky and inaccurate still remains

It isnt. The chunky feel is purely something graphical.

crzfst

Quoted from skeej

[…]

“I have uber quicker than the enemy”

Is that complicated?

You got the point man, i am most definitely talking about having uber quicker than the enemy. Gj.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from skeej

Yes, Valve autoheal has the disadvantage that you have to switch to blut/syring/ubersaw to stop healing, but this could be easily fixed by binding a seperate key to “-attack”.

Or just click while you’re not aiming at anyone.

Quoted from skeej

[edit]Ok silly me, now I said that last thing, I realize that you can also bind a key to “-attack” when using scripted autoheal, to prevent healing when you don’t want to[/edit]

Or hold m1!

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from RaCio

[…]It isnt. The chunky feel is purely something graphical.

So when I try to heal a soldier standing next to a demo, and the beam locks onto the demoman instead, and then the demo’s health increases but that of the soldier does not, that is merely something graphical?

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from crzfst

[…]
You got the point man, i am most definitely talking about having uber quicker than the enemy. Gj.

I’m sorry for interpreting your post wrongly. I think the whole part that you quoted was mainly about medics charging uber as fast as possible? Quote more specifically next time, and reply to quotes in a less obscurantic and sarcastic way, perhaps? And I’m not being sarcastic myself, btw.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

[…]

So when I try to heal a soldier standing next to a demo, and the beam locks onto the demoman instead, and then the demo’s health increases but that of the soldier does not, that is merely something graphical?

So what you are saying is: Valve autoheal does not heal exactly at the crosshair, but
“scripted auto heal/normal heal” does? You do realize how far fetched and crazy that statement is, don’t you? :D

Spike Himself

TC

Yep.

RaCio

GoT²

[…]

Nope, that is you screwing up.

Spike Himself

TC

lol. If you say so!

RaCio

GoT²

I can pick and heal the demo when the round starts with no problems even if he is standing between 2 soldiers. Auto-heal is fully accurate for me so I doubt it is broken in your case. ;)

Leftism

W.tf
KC&LtL

Quoted from crzfst

[…]

None of what I mentioned was exactly complicated game mechanics – “don’t heal buffed players over non-buffed players”, which is what the second paragraph was talking about as an example to more important game mechanics Medics should worry about over this auto-heal business, is something that should be drilled into Medics when they first start playing comp. TF2.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 Next »