Forum

Consider an introduction of the "Three points for a win" system

Created 13th January 2012 @ 13:47

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3

Monkeh

.:ne:.

‘Not much’ is the answer, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be improved upon. A lot of team sports have a bonus point system, rugby, cricket etc.

Just because it’s not broken doesn’t mean a new way of doing things isn’t better.

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Quoted from Monkeh

Also, consider being 3-0 up with 5 minutes to go, right now, “turtle time gentlemen”, and…….win, new system, “let’s go for the bonus point boys…PUSH!!!”

Or “right, we’re in a winning position – let’s not give them a round or they’ll get a bonus point for only losing by 2” – if they had to work pretty hard for those 3-0 then them nipping a round in while you’re trying to be greedy over bonus points probably won’t be unheard of :p

Points at relative, so them not getting one is *usually* just as good as you getting one, depends on how much of a threat they are to the div title really – and actually then, those games towards the end of a season would be more prone to this behaviour because they can judge whether they can afford the risk or not at that point.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the current system. Yes, it’d be nice to see some recognition for how close (but I think GC does a sufficient enough job for that).

I don’t think i’d feel like games were quite as epic if we got a small stream of points for getting “half way there”. I love that last 6mins where we’re 4-3 down and want to get a fight in for GC because it’s completely all or nothing. That’s just me though, and i’m really procrastinating :X

Niir

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

[…]

It’s broken in the sense that it rewards a team winning 5-0 in 10 minutes as much as a close as hell 5-4 won in the very last seconds. In both cases the winning team takes all and the losing team gets nothing, making it seem like both winning teams are equally good and the losing teams are equally bad.

Which makes sense, but due to the different nature of maps as pointed out earlier you can’t really change the points system to reflect the score difference per map as each map is different.

but every team would play every map so it would balance out?

Its like saying gully is more sniper friendly than badlands, so we shouldn’t play that, according to that logic we should just play one map all season to avoid any slight differences or bias’ in the maps.

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

[…]

It’s broken in the sense that it rewards a team winning 5-0 in 10 minutes as much as a close as hell 5-4 won in the very last seconds. In both cases the winning team takes all and the losing team gets nothing, making it seem like both winning teams are equally good and the losing teams are equally bad.

Which makes sense, but due to the different nature of maps as pointed out earlier you can’t really change the points system to reflect the score difference per map as each map is different.

I know people feel disheartened by losing by a close margin but that is why the system is how it is. It is clear cut no abstraction, Previous point again Wireplays round difference is the best way of handling this IF people really believe it is an issue. Tbh I’d like to see Bones take on it..

Quoted from Niir

[…]

but every team would play every map so it would balance out?

Its like saying gully is more sniper friendly than badlands, so we shouldn’t play that, according to that logic we should just play one map all season to avoid any slight differences or bias’ in the maps.

No it wouldn’t. Playing gullywash against a team that has a very good sniper while other teams get to play that team on maps that are significantly less sniper friendly, for example.

Your comparison makes no sense at all.

Quoted from Si^

[…]

I know people feel disheartened by losing by a close margin but that is why the system is how it is. It is clear cut no abstraction, Previous point again Wireplays round difference is the best way of handling this IF people really believe it is an issue. Tbh I’d like to see Bones take on it..

Yeah was just explaining their pov. :]

Last edited by Buffalo Bill,

Monkeh

Quoted from Si^

Wireplays round difference is the best way of handling this IF people really believe it is an issue.

1-0 and 5-0 = maximum points in WP. Not the best way at all imho.

Niir

But its not clear cut:

Team A with 4 wins
5-0
5-1
6-2
5-0

Team B with 4 wins
5-4
4-3
7-6
5-3

Team A is BETTER than Team B however there is no difference when their matches are given their current point scores.

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Quoted from Niir

But its not clear cut:

Team A with 4 wins
5-0
5-1
6-2
5-0

Team B with 4 wins
5-4
4-3
7-6
5-3

Team A is BETTER than Team B however there is no difference when their matches are given their current point scores.

And if they were both tied for promotion then they’d play off and presumably Team A would win. Job done.

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

Quoted from Nymthae

i’m really procrastinating :X

Dny

T2P

Quoted from AnimaL

you play different maps against different teams, in such case cap point difference imo cant be viable scoring option

unfortunately I have to agree with animal.

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

what a great idea, lets reward teams for trying even though they lost.

Niir

Quoted from Nymthae

[…]

And if they were both tied for promotion then they’d play off and presumably Team A would win. Job done.

So saving time isn’t a good thing?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3