Forum

Consider an introduction of the "Three points for a win" system

Created 13th January 2012 @ 13:47

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Monkeh

.:ne:.

The main reason the Wireplay system is an ‘ickle bit bugged is that a 1-0 gets you the same number of points as a 5-0. This proposed system removes that incongruence.

3 points for a win
2 points for a GC win
1 point for a GC loss
0 points for a loss

Bonus point for winning by 4 caps or more, or 2-0 on g’pit/turbine
Bonus point for losing by 2 caps or less, or 2-1 on g’pit/turbine

Complicated, but a nice system that rewards those that roll and those that lost in a close game.

Si^

T2P
[PG]

This wouldn’t work.

edit:
Yeah would of done earlier was required elsewhere..

Basically This method may work if the map was the same all the time. However etf2l has a pool of 6 so getting bonus points may be easier on certain maps on certain weeks depending on who plays who. For example:

going 5 – 0 is easier on badlands than freight for example.

Also what you mentioned.

Last edited by Si^,

Monkeh

Care to elaborate…even a tiny bit?

Edit: Oh…1 point for GC loss and 1 point for close loss, gotcha

Scale the points up by one then, 4 for a win etc? Damn, it looked so beautiful…

Last edited by Monkeh,

Monkeh

Quoted from Si^

Wouldn’t that sort of even itself out over the course of a season though? If I get really bored tomorrow on my day off, I may go back and work out how a S10 div would have looked if this scoring system had been in place…

4 win
3 GC win
2 GC loss
0 loss

+1 win by >3 caps
+1 loss by <2 caps

I bet a lot of deciders and tiebreakers would become redundant with this system, streamlining the playoff week(s) down a bit.

Last edited by Monkeh,

Niir

Quoted from Si^

This wouldn’t work.

edit:
Yeah would of done earlier was required elsewhere..

Basically This method may work if the map was the same all the time. However etf2l has a pool of 6 so getting bonus points may be easier on certain maps on certain weeks depending on who plays who. For example:

Also what you mentioned.

and some teams are better at different maps so how does that matter?

Also everyone plays the same map rotation in the cup so everyone gets the benefit or handicap

This system world encourage playing to the last minute to secure the bonus point win or loss.

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from Niir

[…]

and some teams are better at different maps so how does that matter?

Also everyone plays the same map rotation in the cup so everyone gets the benefit or handicap

This system world encourage playing to the last minute to secure the bonus point win or loss.

tbh it seems you are fishing for a solution for a problem that hasn’t existed for 11 seasons. And in the process maybe producing problems. I’m not wishing to create a argument I can just see flaws with this.

Niir

The only reason I thought about it was because i saw this thread =)

You have to admit that the current system doesnt reward a 5-4 close fought match by 2 very equal teams vs a 5-0 curb stomp by a clearly superior team.

You have to agree that this would give a team at 4-2 down a reason to keep fighting for a bonus point loss even though they dont have time to win 3 matches and take a win.

Also this would make promotion/religation easier for admins, a team could win every game in Div 3 5-4/5-3. Yes they won, however they were not significantly out playing the other teams. (for 6 games score = 24, i.e. 4 pts per win)

However a team who steamrolls with bonus point wins, 5-1/5-2/5-0, shows more clearly they are above the skill level of their current div. (for 6 games score = 30, i.e. 5 pts per win)

In the current system both these teams would be regarded as equal when that is clearly not the case.

P.S. Monkeh is on the monies!

Last edited by Niir,

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from Niir

The only reason I thought about it was because i saw this thread =)

You have to admit that the current system doesnt reward a 5-4 close fought match by 2 very equal teams vs a 5-0 curb stomp by a clearly superior team.

You have to agree that this would give a team at 4-2 down a reason to keep fighting for a bonus point loss even though they dont have time to win 3 matches and take a win.

Also this would make promotion/religation easier for admins, a team could win every game in Div 3 5-4/5-3. Yes they won, however they were not significantly out playing the other teams. (for 6 games score = 24, i.e. 4 pts per win)

However a team who steamrolls with bonus point wins, 5-1/5-2/5-0, shows more clearly they are above the skill level of their current div. (for 6 games score = 30, i.e. 5 pts per win)

In the current system both these teams would be regarded as equal when that is clearly not the case.

P.S. Monkeh is on the monies!

I just think look at Football or any other sport with the implementation of 3 points for win system. If rounds are an issue do what Wireplay do and have a round differences system which doesn’t effect the weighting of point unless a tie occurs. (Same as goal difference in football).

Last edited by Si^,

Monkeh

Major difference between ‘regular’ sports like football and this version of an ‘e-sport’ is the amount of games played.

A 38 game Premier league season allows for teams to create a clear points difference in most positions, a seven, (well, s’pose 14), game season doesn’t allow for the same level of segregation.

Pro’s of this system:

Aggressive play rewarded
Losing teams can get something out of a game other than a ‘gg’
Relative skill level becomes more apparent
No more/lots less ‘tiebreaker’ games which slow the season down
Worth playing to the end if 2 or 3 nil down with 5 minutes left

Con’s of this system:

May favour one team on a certain map against another
?
?

Last edited by Monkeh,

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from Monkeh

Aggressive play rewarded

What If my team took 3 rounds off you in 10 mins and refused to push. In the mindset that we had won and we have the bonus points secured and the risk may backfire (Bare in mind this is a realistic case).
Wouldn’t say my aggressive play is being rewarded.

Last edited by Si^,

Monkeh

Current system you can do that at 1-0 up, so this system is still better.

Niir

Quoted from Si^

[…]

What If my team took 3 rounds off you in 10 mins and refused to push. In the mindset that we had won and we have the bonus points secured and the risk may backfire (Bare in mind this is a realistic case).
Wouldn’t say my aggressive play is being rewarded.

There is nothing to stop that now as Monkeh said. You would play more conservatively and consolidate a position at 3-0.

However with this system there is always the potential the other team may sneak a round back and force you to play. For teams looking to dominate this encourages them to shut out a game asap not get a few points up and sit back.

Monkeh

Also, consider being 3-0 up with 5 minutes to go, right now, “turtle time gentlemen”, and…….win, new system, “let’s go for the bonus point boys…PUSH!!!”

Last edited by Monkeh,

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from Niir

[…]

There is nothing to stop that now as Monkeh said. You would play more conservatively and consolidate a position at 3-0.

However with this system there is always the potential the other team may sneak a round back and force you to play. For teams looking to dominate this encourages them to shut out a game asap not get a few points up and sit back.

If I’m 2 – 0 down and I knew that if I lost one more rounds I’d be feeding the other team a bonus point I think some teams will just turtle up.

Honestly I don’t see the need for bonus points what is broken about the current system?

Previous argument you are looking to fix something that doesn’t appear to be broken.

I could be wrong but I’d like some other peoples views as there doesn’t seem to be a solid argument as to why the classic 3 points for a win system is broken.

Quoted from Si^

[…]
I could be wrong but I’d like some other peoples views as there doesn’t seem to be a solid argument as to why the classic 3 points for a win system is broken.

It’s broken in the sense that it rewards a team winning 5-0 in 10 minutes as much as a close as hell 5-4 won in the very last seconds. In both cases the winning team takes all and the losing team gets nothing, making it seem like both winning teams are equally good and the losing teams are equally bad.

Which makes sense, but due to the different nature of maps as pointed out earlier you can’t really change the points system to reflect the score difference per map as each map is different.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »