Forum

Legitimate question

Created 6th October 2011 @ 16:43

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 7 Next »

ashkan

Quoted from Dummy

[…]
For the first: its not logical but it feels like if you post an opinion which does not sit well with the majority or the admins you will get banned if you try to defend it later on, or if you post a comment that is not fluffy and nice but is in its core correct you will also get banned. there is a big difference between banning people who post shit and banning people who post their thoughts but dont put it across nicely
For the second its not solvable, everyone should be able to put their point across =d

Hmm, I have to say I don’t see what’s bad about that. You remember all the threads we had before season 9, right? People were just insulting each other left and right, which spawned more flaming, off-topic posts, insults etc. I don’t think any of the admins punish people because of their opinions, but rather because they have broken the rules (typically rule F.1, F.2 and F.3) and ruined any chance of having a reasonable and logical discussion. Not only that, but to a certain extent, we obviously have to protect members from being harassed, insulted etc.

Now compare that to the well-moderated feedback threads we’ve created. Everyone can get their point across without the fear of being flamed. It is much easier to actually get a clear view of what people think and the logic behind their arguments. Just ask the admins to see how happy they are with how those threads have been going ;)

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Dummy

[…]
why would you have to delete all the off-topic posts?

To prevent offtopic posts answering to the previous offtopic posts.
I think I have created a feedback thread in the past where I said I will remove any offtopic comments, which I did, and the discussion went very well. You could also see that one offtopic comment entails a whole bunch of offtopic answers.

ashkan

Quoted from Dummy

[…]
why would you have to delete all the off-topic posts?

People are too tempted to keep posting otherwise, despite repeated warnings. Sadly, it’s been proven time and time again.

edit: ninja’d

Dummy

Quoted from ashkan

[…]

Hmm, I have to say I don’t see what’s bad about that. You remember all the threads we had before season 9, right? People were just insulting each other left and right, which spawned more flaming, off-topic posts, insults etc. I don’t think any of the admins punish people because of their opinions, but rather because they have broken the rules (typically rule F.1, F.2 and F.3) and ruined any chance of having a reasonable and logical discussion. Not only that, but to a certain extent, we obviously have to protect members from being harassed, insulted etc.

Now compare that to the well-moderated feedback threads we’ve created. Everyone can get their point across without the fear of being flamed. It is much easier to actually get a clear view of what people think and the logic behind their arguments. Just ask the admins to see how happy they are with how those threads have been going ;)

What is bad about that is imo if someone is wrong and gets called an idiot for it -and- is explained to why he was called an idiot, they shouldnt be protected from that
im against mindless flaming but harsh language, if the person using it makes sense, is fine

Morphine

(Cat Enthusiast)
一一═デ︻

Quoted from CanFo

[…]
To prevent offtopic posts answering to the previous offtopic posts.
I think I have created a feedback thread in the past where I said I will remove any offtopic comments, which I did, and the discussion went very well. You could also see that one offtopic comment entails a whole bunch of offtopic answers.

Surely a reminder to keep on-topic rather than deleting posts would be fairer? Who cares if there are off-topic comments, as long as they do not hijack the whole thread or change the discussion completely.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Dummy

[…]
What is bad about that is imo if someone is wrong and gets called an idiot for it -and- is explained to why he was called an idiot, they shouldnt be protected from that
im against mindless flaming but harsh language, if the person using it makes sense, is fine

How about instead of calling out someone as “idiot” saying “I and many others disagree with you” ?

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Morphine

[…]

Surely a reminder to keep on-topic rather than deleting posts would be fairer? Who cares if there are off-topic comments, as long as they do not hijack the whole thread or change the discussion completely.

You just answered your own question. Just reminding people to keep it civil and on topic does not work and will only get some more people banned who feel a strong urge to reply to the latest offtopic comments.

Morphine

(Cat Enthusiast)
一一═デ︻

Quoted from CanFo

[…]
You just answered your own question. Just reminding people to keep it civil and on topic does not work and will only get some more people banned who feel a strong urge to reply to the latest offtopic comments.

Woah, ban for being off-topic? And what I meant is, I’m all for deleting long chains of nonsense but I think single off-hand comments should be left alone.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Morphine

[…]

Woah, ban for being off-topic? And what I meant is, I’m all for deleting long chains of nonsense but I think single off-hand comments should be left alone.

if someone ignores a warning to not post anymore offtopic/derailing comments he or she will get a forum ban, sure. I can not see a problem with that.
One single off-hand comments will not be deleted by us. The problem is just, that they will not stay one single-off hand comments in most cases because people comment on the offtopic post etc. and THEN we start deleting them to save the thread. If you feel that we deleted one single offtopic post somewhere, let me know. We keep record of all removed posts.

ashkan

Quoted from Dummy

[…]

Pretty much what CanFo said. If you insult someone by calling them an idiot, it escalates from there and hurts the thread and the forum. What do you think this thread would have looked like now, had people started calling each other idiots, morons, etc? :P

Also, keep in mind that our duty is not only to protect the thread from detoriating, but also to simply protect the users. That’s why pretty much all “regular” forums have rules against that stuff.

Vali

-9w-

Quoted from CanFo

They are closed when most people are discussing stuff that is not ontopic anymore, when the thread “served its purpose”

Locking threads because of the quoted reason is quite frankly stupid. A conversation/discussion naturally evolves over time and it’s fine if it heads in a direction that means it’s no longer directly concerned with whatever the OP originally stated. There is no need to create a new thread, most of the time that will just kill whatever discussion was happening anyway.

Kortz

.:ne:.

F.1 – Please be polite at all times, we take hostility very seriously, posts we deem inappropriate will be removed and depending on the severity of what was said, a warning or temporary ban will be applied.

F.2 – Please do not flame or insult other members in the TF2 Community, if you notice that someone starts to flame you in topic or a reply that you have posted, please refrain from flaming back, the member will be dealt with, as we have forum moderators overlooking the forums constantly. If we haven’t dealt with it within 3 hours please join #etf2l @ quakenet on IRC and speak to an admin.

F.3 – Please do not swear at other members in the TF2 Community, swearing is only deemed appropriate when used in the humour or joking form. Please refrain in using such words otherwise.

It’s not so hard to understand, just be nice to each other D:
Like honestly there was a bunch of threads before about admins being this big bad thing that censored and weren’t at all transparent and now that they post the REASON behind bans and stuff you suddenly think they shouldn’t be transparent and just say USER BANNED… Like for gods sake get over yourselves…

Read the rules, obey or get punished

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from Vali

[…]

Locking threads because of the quoted reason is quite frankly stupid. A conversation/discussion naturally evolves over time and it’s fine if it heads in a direction that means it’s no longer directly concerned with whatever the OP originally stated. There is no need to create a new thread, most of the time that will just kill whatever discussion was happening anyway.

Key example maybe LAWL DIVS which lasted almost a month and went off topic loads… just a simple hey guys this is going a bit off topic etc is all that’s needed.

Now this topic is about cats :3.

jk..

ashkan

Quoted from Vali

[…]

He doesn’t mean it like that. For example, this thread has expanded and evolved, but we won’t close it because of that.

However, if you start a thread to mourn someone’s death, and people mainly discuss forum moderation despite warnings and instead of creating a separate thread, then you can’t say it has evolved. The admins have to step in.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Si^

[…]

Key example maybe LAWL DIVS which lasted almost a month and went off topic loads… just a simple hey guys this is going a bit off topic etc is all that’s needed.

Now this topic is about cats :3.

jk..

The first LAWL NICE DIVS thread has been locked several times to remove offtopic posts, just FYI ;-)

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 7 Next »