Forum

ETF2L Strike Again ! (wtf with the rules ?)

Created 26th October 2008 @ 22:21

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Mick-

Well basically with MeM folding , i was expecting the league to cancel all the games played by MeM this season , but it seems like because they played 5 of their 7 games , the last 2 teams who should have played them , will get Default wins

And imo it’s not fair , since MeM team had nothing to do (or not much at least) with the original team who started the League (and had at least 4 differents members, with zerox , wlv phl darn leaving the original team etc) , basically we lost the league because of the calendar…ETF2L should solve that problem for next season because having a different winner just because of stupid rules + the calendar , it’s totally BULLSHIT..

F2 told me almost the same happened in the D2a , with Ret renaming to laukaus and then folding or giving default wins so it’s a main problem .

i expect some reactions , and people flamming me too .

Darn

rockit like

:) it happens

dunc

infs
dp.

Edit, that didn’t make sense.

The way I see it is.. why should four teams be punished because you lost to TLR on Well? That one map is all that would change by forcing Memento to drop all of their games. Four teams would be adversely affected, which is unfair considering it wasn’t their fault you lost Well vs TLR.

If you had beaten them, this post wouldn’t have been made.

Besides Mick, you regularly profess that ETF2L isn’t even remotely important, so why does it bother you?

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

I understand where you’re coming from but to be honest had you beaten TLR on cp_well this would be a non-issue (both TCM and Uber beat TLR on both maps) the calender didn’t cost 4K the title, losing to TLR on cp_well did.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

I think the point he is trying to make, is that if 4K was sheduled to play against TLR at the end of the season, instead of the start, they would have got a default win and got 6 points. He’s saying the 2 teams at the end automatically get those 6 points simply because of their position in the calenda.

If you ignor the fact that it was TLR, and slap a different name in there.

Let’s say TCM were the team that dropped, with 2 games to spare. Those 2 games were against TFPortal and crack clan.

All the teams that lost to TCM earlier in the season would have a worse result against TCM than TFP and CC would have, simply because their match was scheduled later. Let’s say TCM would normally beat Crack Clan in a match. Because Crack clan’s match was scheduled later, they actually gained something from a game they would have normally lost.

On the otherside of the argument, and back to MeMento, this only really effects k1ck and crack. Since crack can’t win the league, and won’t be relagated, its not a problem, however, k1ck could potentially win the league, based entirely off of this default win (had 4Kings played later in the calender (and got a default), the results of k1ck and TLR/MeMento wouldn’t play a role)

Personally I think all points should be dropped throughout the season, but at the same time, I really couldn’t care lol. + the league should stick to it’s rules for the current season, and rule updates can be discussed for the next season. It’s a bit ‘ooer’ to change them mid season.

Mick-

haha thanks to my translator acidrenix , who sums it up just perfectly :p

F2

Danmark

There are two issues.

One issue is that a team of a certain skill folds and gets replaced by another team of a different skill (but staying in the same division). This is annoying because either a team that might not be division 1 ends up playing in division 1 because they have a few members from the old team they replace – or if a division 1 team and a division 2 team fold making a new clan that start playing in div2 – this obviously fucks up the balancing of the divisions.

The second issue is when a clan folds, their results should either be removed or the remaining matches should be defaulted to their opponents – it’s important to notice that the choice between those two possibilities actually can decide which clan that finishes number one in the division.

The first issue occurs because etf2l wants to have as few “Dropped” teams as possible and also because they want to give new teams the delight of playing in their league. But it is really annoying for the teams in the division where it happens. Either you suddenly got a much tougher opponent, or you played against a tough team and lost a map, and that team is replaced by a weaker team that will lose the rest of its matches giving the other teams a huge advantage. Maybe there should be a rule that forbid any new teams to join the league after week1?

The second issue is the choice between removing all results or giving default wins. The “default win” solution does indeed cause a calendar problem – I think we all can agree that it shouldn’t be an advantage to play against a clan in a certain week (ie. if you play against a clan in week 3 or 8 shouldn’t give one clan an advantage). But with the “default win” rule it certainly is an advantage to play against a clan in week 9 because you can be lucky to get a default win if they fold a couple of weeks before the match (like k1ck & cc got default wins by MeM, and Druidz & panache got default wins by laukaus (regardless of whether they have officially folded or not)). It seems weird and unfair.

I haven’t really decided if I think these rules are wrong – ie. I’m not sure if I would want the rules changed, but it would be interesting to hear some suggestions to fix the aforementioned problems.

Akill

When you consider a league, a team plays one match versus all the other teams in that division. This is the purpose of the division, to have all the teams compete to measure a clans value within that division. Consider the teams that have dropped, they are no longer part of the division. So a real representation of how the clans within the division have performed would be to exclude all dropped clans results, as if they has never been in the division. When you clean it up it would make sense. That the only points given are by the clans that are actively in that division, which would therefore allow a real representation of how those clans stack up against each other within the division.

The only reason i think the rule isnt implemented is clans can strategically ‘drop’ so that remaining clans results are screwed over. There should probably be some rule to stop this, instead of the other way around of keeping points on.

As an example, oslo lions folded, they do not have to compare themselves to the other division clans any longer. therefore do not need to have a value within the division. The rest of the remaining clans keep their points versus each other to make the division remain objective to its purpose.

I might not be making this clear because its 7 in the morning lol

ShoX

Sir
dp.

/agree with Dunc

Would you *really* want to Win Div1 on a technicality anyway, Mick?

AnAkkk

I also think this rule should be modified:

“2.11 Dropped teams’ results will be deleted if they break the 3 Default Losses Rule

Results of a dropped team will be deleted from the tables if they miss more than 3 unplayed matches. Anyway, results will stay if a team doesn’t break §2.9 .”

I think all teams who drop should get their results deleted, for the same reasons as the posts above.

kaidus

WiK?

It baffles me that this is even an issue. Why on earth has it been considered justified that teams be able to earn victories through different means from one another? That entirely undermines the purpose of a league. People play in leagues as everyone is on the same playing field. Everyone plays everyone, the winners take home the points. If everyone can not play a particular team, then no one should. It really is as simple as that. This is the essence that underpins the concept of a league.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Well to me, the reason why this is a problem, is because it WILL effect the outcome of the league positions for the end of the season. If ETF2L change the rule, the teams effected worse will argue that the rule was changed to benefit other teams. If they don’t change the rule, the initial argument still stands.

I think ETF2L should stick it out with the current ruleset and talk about it for next season so there isn’t a repeat performance.

What makes it worse though is 3 out of 4 of the title contending teams have played their match against MeMento. The other one most teams are writing off from winning the title anyway (sorry k1ck).

This means that k1ck and Crack getting 3 free points from MeMento won’t really change who wins the league, only the positions of the other places. The main title contenders have allready played the game against us and so it would be unfair on those who succeeded to lose out over those who failed to aquire the full 6 points. However, I think the rule needs to be taken into consideration as in another season, it could be a whole lot worse than it is now, especially if a top tier team folds after beating all the other top teams, and a mid team ends up winning because they got a default against the folded team(s) in the later weeks.

Jambo

I didn’t bother to read the thread but I have 2 things to say.

1. Mick is “not interested if they win or not win ETF2L”
2. Maybe the rule should be changed, yes, but not at this point of the season. Maybe the staff should consider about a rule change for the next season? Even though, the rule at its current state is ~okayish.

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

The rule should be changed for next season. But for this season we were lucky that Memento’s remaining games were not against TCM and Uber, had this been the case, however unlikely, Memento might of sneaked a draw or a win – but this we will never know. The fact is that all the title chasers played TLR/Memento, with only 4K unable to get all 6 points.

I spoke to Daykiller and he wanted me to keep the clan running till the end of the season, this is what I wanted too for many reasons, one being sportsmanship, two being that Beta had just bought a server and three being that we would likely of kept our spot in division one for next season (and who knows what next season will bring).

Had we done the _correct_ thing and organized both remaining matches (kick and crack) asap and finished the season 4K would have still found themselves in the exact same situation they are in now.

Mole

DCSB
Hey dats!

*adds to list of things to work out for Season4*

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »