Forum

Fastlane capture/spawntimes

Created 8th January 2009 @ 22:42

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Dave

Mafia
wMiC?

Don’t like that pro_fastlane at all.

Middle has been screwed up, and the last point is awful. It would be even easier to turtle: just get all your heavies up top and none of the attackers can even get near the point.

Jambo

FastFire, what you don’t seem to realize is that the problem in Fastlane is that it’s almost impossible to come back after you lose the middle point. Even harder when the 2nd point is lost also, but that’s just cosmetic. If you lose the middle, you lose the round.

I have to admit, tho, that the capture times should be changed the way you suggested, but also the respawn times should be altered a little, allowing it to be possible for the defending team to actually come back. Just like in Badlands and Granary, and Well, maps which work great in competitive play.

F2

Danmark

Middle has been screwed up

Huh? The only thing he changed was adding a small “wall” (besides the spawn/cap times). How is that screwing up middle?

the last point is awful. It would be even easier to turtle: just get all your heavies up top

Explosions go through the “floor” that is used on top. So if people stand on that, a demoman(/soldier) from the bottom can easily blow them to pieces before they know what hit them. Furthermore, they can’t easily defend the point from the health cabinet anymore.

Dave

Mafia
wMiC?

Lots of demos come out of that left hand door. A wall which they can hide behind from spam, as well as sticky up to lure Scouts to, could result in making it much easier for a Demoman to just stay alive behind the wall, spamming the middle point with stickies.

Last point imho opinion sucks like that. Reasons:

– The problem with the current Fastlane is that it’s possible to stand inside spawn and spam, AS WELL AS being able to walk in a second onto the point. Look at all other Valve maps – Badlands, Granary, Well – it’s impossible to stand in the spawn door and defend last so quickly whilst spamming. Arguably Badlands you can, but the back wall of the point protects players standing on it, and it caps so quickly that it doesn’t always matter.

This update moves the point far further away, and means that not all classes can easily access it. For any class other than a Soldier/Demo who can jump up, they have to run up a narrow ramp and then run around to defend the point, making it very hard to defend once a team pushes inside.

– This version of the map actively encourages a team to come from the top. Why would you attack from any lower entrance? If you uber through the doors, a Solly/Demo is often going to jump up, meaning the medic has to run, whilst ubered, all the way across middle to the ramp, up the ramp, and then be reunited with their teammate. By which time, the uber has ran out, and so in reality, all they do is uber through doors.

This encourages teams to just turtle the upper corridor, and with such a small door at the end, can be guarded very easily. As well as this, with the point upstairs, players can just move into the corridor to avoid being killed from below, as you pointed out F2.

The only problem with Fastlane last is that it’s too easy to walk from spawn to last point. Imho, not too much needs to change to make this map more playable. Myself and spnce from exe/KB are working on a version that fixes this, without making the point hard to access for all classes but that stops the easy defence. There will also be more natural light onto the point, as some people have suggested this.

However, we havn’t looked at any other alterations on Fastlane (ie the stuff on 2nd/4th) so if the general consensus is that the additions are good, we could add them in if our version is liked.

Dave

Mafia
wMiC?

I just experimented too, and found out that it’s still possible to spam underneath the control point and do damage to players standing on top, unless they’re standing on the grey ring of the control point.

This means that Soldiers/Demos can still stand in the spawn door and fire rockets/stickies underneath the point and do damage, so it doesn’t really solve anything, except make it harder for any other non-jumping class to get to the point and defend.

I like the spawn times of pro_fastlane.
I don’t understand the random bits of blocks and tires though. All we needed really were the spawn times (and maybe first point fixed).

I agree with Shintaz – Spawn times are good – rest isn’t. What’s with all those random blocks? Fucks up snipers and scouts. Last point looks unplayable to me imo. All we needed was to remove the 2 resup cabinets and place a new one at the back of the spawn room. Rest was just perfect.

Dave

Mafia
wMiC?

I think you need to more than just move the cabinet because players can still just stand in the door and spam, and just step back and let the door close to avoid taking damage. As I say, me and spnce are working on a version that fixes this without ruining the whole final point.

And as 32 says, the random blocks just take up fighting space, as well as fucking up sniper shots.

F2

Danmark

Well, all I can say is I like the changes. The spawn times & cap times. The new 1st point (by moving it upwards, you avoid people shooting at it from spawn). And the random blocks (fastlane is just way too flat).

morf

[j]\\\'
[j]'

yeah, cabin on the other side (right side seen from spawnbox) please, and it does look odd with the new stuff, was only the spawn times that bothered

Dave

Mafia
wMiC?

F2, the thing is you still can fire at the point from spawn :/

You can shoot at the underside of the point, and it will do damage to those standing on it, unless you stand on the grey circle, so nothing’s really changed – it’s just marginally more difficult to spam the point. However, you then eliminate Scout/Pyro/Heavy/Engy/Sniper/Medic/Spy from running and blocking the point because they have to run up a ramp and around.

Didn’t read all posts in this thread but I played the map (cp_fastlane) several times against ~equal teams over the past few days and the spawntimes are fucking ridiculous. Even if you manage to kill their whole team when they push for last, by the time you get to second they have 3+ people there again allready (unless you manage to kritz them all to death simultaneously).

It’s either a 30 minute stalemate or complete stomping most of the time.
Very frustrating pile of shite.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

This cp_pro_fastlane_b1 is bleh!
The spawntime and resupply cabinet changes are welcome additions but all the other additions are a little off the mark.

The wide open spaces are what made cp_fastlane interesting, no need to add all this (ugly) cover around the map.

The abundance of health kits on 2/4 has not been dealt with either.
I’d suggest changing all of the medium kits to small ones except for the one on the defenders side by the stairs to the upper deck.
Maybe even remove some all together.

With regards to the last point I think a much better solution would have been to simply put some of that iron sheeting behind the cap point like on cp_freight’s final points and move the point a few feet further from the spawn. This would serve to bring people out of spawn to defend with out the need for this elevated platform nonsense!

Also I think the resupply cabinet would be better situation in the centre of the spawn wall, where currently there is a wooden wardrobe thingy, as you can still just effectively stand at the door with its current location.

It’s good to see someone putting in the effort but I think more subtle changes would have been better.

Oh and stick a skylight above the final point :)

Mick-

cp pro fastlane is a fucking joke , the guy who made it should be killed.

payard

mLm

agree with Mick

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »