Forum

How to install TF2 multiple times?

Created 17th February 2009 @ 12:11

Add A Reply Pages: 1

hamza

vR
vR|

Hey eveyrone,

I was just wondering if it is possible to install two copies of TF2, but on different HDDs. Because I recently bought a 1TB HDD for moviemaking purposes but now I also want to have TF2 on that HDD, but I don’t want to reinstall steam completely. Also two copies would be cool because the “movie TF2” could be tweaked and experimented with.
Is there a possiblity? Would be nice :)

haRacz

While TF2 works after reinstalling system/steam just try to copy whole steam folder to 2nd HDD.

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

You could install UCL (Universal Content Loader) which is like steam and lets you play games without the gayness.

Grem

rEJ
TG

You can run two versions of tf2 from one copy for movie making purposes.
This http://www.gotfrag.com/css/story/40595/?spage=1 might be helpful.

hamza

vR
vR|

Yes but I want the startmovie .tga data to be created on my big 1TB HDD. That why I need two versions.

CookiE

hf.no

Is it not possible to do something like this ‘startmovie D:Movie raw’? Assuming your other drive is D. I know for a fact you can place the movies in a sub folder by doing it like this ‘startmovie some/dir/movie raw’ but I have never tried to place them on a separate harddrive.

(Make sure the target folder exists or else you’ll get errors for sure)

jk

You can’t create multiple instances of tf2 in the manner of the post that Grem linked to.

The best way that I’ve found to make two instances of TF2 (one for gaming, one for movie making) is using a method written by Kluniq in his movie gui found here Included in his gui is his bat & .reg files he uses to switch between game/movie making.

Just edit the reg files to have your own launch options for each, and if you want to launch the game from the bat file as well, just add the lines below to his bat files.

cd C:Program FilesSteam
start steam.exe -applaunch 440

Personally, I’ve compiled the bat and reg files into an exe with the tf2 icon. Pretty easy, simplest way is finding a commercial converter if you lack the skill to compile your own exe. Then I just use those exe files to launch the separate instances.

You can just save the movie files etc to the large hard drive. That would be the easiest way. Although through scripting you probably could make change the default movie save dir.

hamza

vR
vR|

Okay! Thx 4 every helper. I will test it out. Hopefully it will work, because now always switching between up-to-date TF2 and backupped TF2 to have the demos working is even more of a nuisance.. ^^

g0d

Theres also a backup button… to avoid entire redownloads / installs… it’s right in the steam menu called backup? lol =P

Add A Reply Pages: 1