x
ETF2L is looking for new Staff to recruit! Are you interested in supporting the league? Then click here for more details on what we can offer and how to apply! 

Forum

[FAQ] How to save your demos from getting broken

Created 29th January 2009 @ 22:29

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Jh

Hey dats!

has anyone got the source binaries 2007.gcf from the last patch? i seem to be missing that one.

____13____

Anyone knows any place where we can find TF2 files before the last update?

Edit: or anyone doesn’t mind to upload them… :P

morf

[j]\\\'
[j]'

im with 13 :<

Steve

Awesome

haRacz

lol, i’m defenetely sure some1 will upload over 6GB :>

____13____

haRacz… Uh??? It’s around 2GB, not 6…

But yeah, even so, probably no one will do it…

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

I have just tried to watch some old demos, followed the instructions in OP. But for some reason i can’t load TF2 in offline mode :( It says the game cannot load in offline mode.

:s anyone know how to fix it?

Solus

Could someone upload the /bin/ and /tf/bin/ folder prior to the ninja update on the 17th?

They’re only 10mb rar’d and I didn’t copy them.

I used to never need /bin/ folders to play old demo’s but the latest patch doesn’t work with just old GCF’s.

Solus

NVM – Didn’t need the /bin/ this time either. Just demo’s between the 16th and 17th of Feb TF2 update don’t work since I never did a backup between then.

Currently I’ve got a 3.3gb backup of TF2 (GCFs[3gb] + TF folder[300mb]) that runs stand-alone so there’s no need to swap folders or GCF’s around with the original.

Handy if you don’t have much space on the HDD where steam is installed and want to make a bunch of TGAs on another drive.

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

would you mind posting the folder structure pls to get that second install working? :)

Solus

Also worth noting that now you need to also back up…

multiplayer ob binaries.gcf

AnAkkk

Yes, source 2007 binaries.gcf is not used any more by TF2, but only by some other source mods + single player games. TF2 now uses multiplayer ob binaries.gcf.

Also, the steps about bin/ folder backup is useless. Each time you launch the game, Steam will automatically extract the bin files from your GCF files.

Solus

What does this guide do?
This guide shows you how to install a stand-alone copy of TF2 and then patch it back to an older version.
In other words, it lets you watch old demos.

Which old demos work?
Any demos between 19 August 2008 – 16 February 2009, provided you have the right version of the map used in the demo.

How much space does this take up?
The TF2 folder is only 235mb.

How big is the patch I have to download?
35mb.

The game doesn’t load when I run the shortcut.
Close steam.

I get the error “Unable to load gcfprep.dll” when loading GCF Prep.
Check that you have these installed.
Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 or greater. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

Download Guide: http://www.mithun.org/solus/tf2_demos_easymethod.pdf
Why PDF? Because I would probably end up deleting the images or something if they were on my ftp

——————
Any feedback would be great. If something isn’t clear or you’re having trouble getting this to work, pm me on irc. I can be found in #dogz @ irc.gamesurge.net

awesome tool. also broken link to ms downloads.

NEA

EC!

This tool is fu**** great !!!
This tool saved my movie project. I havent got any problems with it and i can watch all demos from Aug.2008 till Jan.2009. If you could make another patch to download for the time from Jan till the scoutupdate, that would be so great.

Thanks a lot for this work!!!!

<3 Greetz nea

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »