Forum

cp_well changes?

Created 10th September 2009 @ 08:56

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

F2

Danmark

No? Lots of clans like to play gravelpit.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

I like gravelpit. Really takes coordination.

jgmaster

BM

I like gravelpit as well it’s just that from what I’ve seen it’s rarely played in pickups and quite a lot of time it’s played in pcws because of an upcoming game. The same with well, it’s just that not many people like playing these/play them that often. Variety is the spice of life and so getting rid of the only 5cp with spawn times might not be that great, especially if it means that heavys and snipers aren’t played as much. Though I do agree that there needs to probably be a third entrance into 2/4.

sajh

[j]\\\'
[j]'

both gravelpit and well are fine in my mind, even though none of them are played in pickups.. but tbh, pickup games are only played at granary/badlands anyhow;).

I see no need for any modifications to well. Sure, it can end in stalemates, but that might have something to do with the teams playing it ;) You need to dare to attack :P No pain, no gain:).

Garmens ideas look interesting, but i just dont see the need for changing the map. That said, I wont whine if these changes were implemented. However I am not too fond of the idea of removing the setup time as i think the setup time adds a fairly different playing strategy which allows the map to separate itself from “normal” cp maps. If you want to consider yourself a good team/player you should be able to handle different types of maps (not aimed towards anyone or any clan, just a reflection)

F2

Danmark

it’s just that from what I’ve seen it’s (gravelpit) rarely played in pickups

First of all, it’s not in the map pool on #mpuktf2.pickup

Secondly, gravelpit-style maps take a lot of coordination and some solid tactics. You just can’t play a gravelpit pickup without first discussing who goes what (engineer, sniper, spy?), where each person attacks from, etc. and even then it will play out quite randomly. It’s just not a pickup map.

The reason that 5cp maps work is because you have a “standard” way of playing it and it plays out quite fast (whereas on gravelpit you sometimes have to more-or-less wait 60 seconds for medic to respawn and build uber). You always go medic-demo-sol-sol-scout-scout, and people know what to do – the gameplay in pickups is very simple. [Of course it is more complicated to explain why 5cp maps works but these are the basics.]

cp_well is virtually never played in pickups. Being a good map in a pickup isn’t necessarily the #1 goal though.
But combined with the fact that it is rarely played in pcws as well…
I just don’t understand how people can say that cp_well is fine as it is.
That would be like saying ctf_2fort is fine as it is for competitive play.

PS: I haven’t really read anything in this thread. I’m just amazed by people saying that a map is fine when it never gets played. That goes beyond my logic.

.____________.

What f2 said.

It’s worth a go, someone fix it >:(

iQue

keso

I played a Well pickup once, and I hope I’ll never have to do it again. :D

byte

Not hard to figure out why it’s not as successful..

The game pace of the map is too slow
The areas of cp2 and cp1 is the cause of it being so slow and boring…
+ Also the setup time does not help

I don’t know many maps that have a outside settings for cp3 yet enclosed within a big building and that have been successful, mainly because the area outside for cp3 is huge which means

– sniper heaven
– Slower paced killing due to more area to cover

And yeah what f2 said about gpit is correct needs more coordination, team cohesion to work.

Cheers

Byte

howdeh

Perilous
WUL

I enjoy cp_well, its actually one of the maps that you can play about with different class setups due to set up time.

Its not a shit map, nor is it broken, people just need to play maps other than granary/badlands constantly.

The two doors that open are good choke points, you’re immediately forced prioritise in killing specific classes using the trains, which also contributes to choosing class setups wisely.

.____________.

The two doors that open are good choke points, you’re immediately forced prioritise in killing specific classes using the trains, which also contributes to choosing class setups wisely.

Using the trians.. what?

Making these changes to the map won’t make it into granary/badlands. Its still an entirely different map with a wide range of tactics that can be played, nowhere close to any other map.

Rele

and I can’t remember the last time that someone wanted to play cp_well in a pcw without having to play it due to an upcoming cw.

If someone has to play cp_well in a league match, someone chose it –> there are ppl that enjoy the map.

Just stop modifying the game to your likings everytime theres a little thing that bothers you. Why cant you just play the stupid game as it is?

mb

keso

It wouldn’t hurt to try it out without setup time and those steps to mid point (which I really like).

F2

Danmark

If someone has to play cp_well in a league match, someone chose it –> there are ppl that enjoy the map.

No, either it’s due to fixed maps, or because people think they have a better chance on winning on a map that is rarely played. (Or it might be the 1% of all clans that like the map, yes.)

eoN^

No, either it’s due to fixed maps, or because people think they have a better chance on winning on a map that is rarely played. (Or it might be the 1% of all clans that like the map, yes.)

Then it wouldnt be in the league…

People play it because its better than other maps, fair enough that doesnt mean they “like it” as such but tbh it does… If you had to choose between cp_steel, cp_dustbowl and cp_well for a league match what would you choose?

Rele

I would rather choose turbine or gpit if I’m looking for a “lucky” win tbh.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »