Forum

[WIP] cp_bazillion (rc5)

Created 30th September 2010 @ 17:49

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 19 Next »

Arnold

DAKKA

Quoted from ThePledge

Good job on creating another map Arnold, I definetly like the way where it is going. Just a couple of things that I noticed when my team participated in the cup this evening:

– As scout, I notice that wherever I walk, I always seem to have a wall in my back. This makes me very vulnerable to pretty much everyone that is not a scout or medic. Now of course, I could be playing scout the wrong way at this map, but it’s just something I noticed while playing it :)

– The middle point seems to clustered when you walk into it. Demoman spam and any spam in general seems to do a lot of damage and that takes out the effect that teampushes have. Also, considering the fact that capping the point is a very very small area, I’d put some extra thought into maybe making it a bit wider.

– The area from cp2 to cp1 (and the other way around) seems to have too many ways. It would probably feel normal after some time, so I’ll comment on it later, but right now I feel that maybe one or two ways could be removed.

If I think of anything else, I’ll definetly post it here. I love Gullywash myself, and I believe this map has the right stuff to become a very good map. Just needs some tweaking imo :D

– Pledge

thanks for the critique pledge I won’t make mid any wider though because the map is already pushing the scale on size.

As far as scout goes, the fact that there’s a wall on your back most of the time is only fair because you have a lot of room to run around in anyway.

I will do something about some of the sniper sightlines but i don’t think i will actually make the map any smaller. I will also make last a bit easier to push by making the left side open to attackers trough crouch jumping. (i still want that route to be more beneficial to the defenders so they have a way to push out too)

Also void, could you explain the bug on mid a little bit clearer? I don’t think i understand completely.

And thanks to all the teams for playing the map i’ve watched quite a few of your matches.

Last edited by Arnold,

GeneSIS^

[MIPC]

last point is way too easy to turtle. Also would like to see some more details on the map, looks so empty and boring now tbh. on 2nd cap point i would like to have another route to cap it, maybe small window behind the cap point or on the side. Forcing the uber in this map is almost impossible, played 4 times today and forcing uber without using our uber was not possible because you cant really flank anywhere, especially on last point its really hard because defenders see every door from the point.

howdeh

Perilous
WUL

I can provide screenshots tomorrow if needed, but there are bugs where you get stuck in the ground from the sniper position on middle point; if you somewhat drop down off the train track you’re as good as stuck.

Last point is insanely hard to push, I don’t know why, the demoman can sit with stickies on the main door, soldiers spamming the left and a pyro/heavy just destroy the right (from defensive point of view)

The drop down hole seems unique but useless.

We played the map once, and from my POV the map looked really nice but didn’t catch my favour for a competitive map, whether we were doing it wrong i’m unsure, it just seemed like one of those really boring maps like a stalemate freight.

Never the less, I think with some changes to last point and fix of the bugs it will turn out to be a decent map.

PS: I may be biased, it just wasn’t my cup of tea :(

Edit: Would like to add, second point is really nice as it is a great change from other maps, it doesn’t have low ceilings and it was really refreshing. Your capture point structures are nice and adds a number of different situations.

Last edited by howdeh,

Edd

T2P

my impression of the map is that it isnt a tf2 map feels like its more of a quake style map.

Will try it again in later version but atm just dont seem to like it :)

gl with it anyway arnold if you do with it what you did with gullywash then kudos to you sir.

Si^

T2P
[PG]

interesting map wouldn’t mind seeing it make the map pool but you got some bugs to get rid of. Like near the sniper bridge there’s a hole you can get stuck in haha.

good tournament :).

Dav1dd

2ne1

Really like mid and second, last was good, just quite hard to push out of unless very organised as there are so many ways you can let someone get behind to backcap.

But yeah bazillion for etf2l map pool! love the variation, just need to get rid of the bugs which there are countless numbers of! :D

oh yeah, forgot to say love the tunnel idea! :D

Last edited by Dav1dd,

hz

#1: The mid battles:

We were up against potentially a div4 team (we are d6). Now from scout point of view, if the demo stickies our side of point, we’re fucked because the area under the mid point has only one way which will be secured too and there is no way for scouts to push forward due to constant spam of stickies and area control. Soldiers / Demo can still jump but its not the same for medic / scout. My proposal would be to make a pathway for scouts (consider granary mid crates) and medic to follow to avoid heavy spam and to make the mid battles more interesting. Also two openings for the area below the point.

#2 Defending second point:

There are JUST too many ways to get raped from and there cannot be enough eyes everywhere. The far right area (the sniper area) is very hard to moderate if you’re holding the point from far right. Also, I think just like gravelpit, the roof should be jump-able. Everyone can use it effectively to take cover and still defend the point. The area between the main door for mid -> 2nd should be closer to the point to easily spam it since sniper can be VERY dangerous due to the distance.

#3: Last is just beautiful! :P

More cups when new versions of this map is released will be appreciated. This map has potential to be in the map pool.

Last edited by hz,

choiie

keso

I was putting together a bunch of screenshots of the bugs on the map but there were just too many so I couldnt be arsed. My personal approach on bugs is that they should be fixed in alphas, so you can concentrate on the gameplay in beta versions. The same goes for your detailing, for a b5 version it’s reeeally bare. You’ve done a great job with details in gullywash though, so I don’t doubt your detailing skills. I don’t wee why you arent using them, though.

A few thoughts on the gameplay (not having played it, simply running around by myself)

*Last feels a bit sniper friendly. There is essentially no logical cover for medics, and I can see a lot of rounds being lost to medics being bodyshot.

*The rollout seems really strange (the only ones I could think of, anyways). If anyone could put up a vid of a logical rollout, it would be appreciated. My personal opinion is decreasing the map size, but as you dont want to do that (it can be a pain, I know), I’d at least suggest making a more logical rollout.

*Mid seems sniperfriendly, but youre already working with that.

*I have no idea why the mid is built the way it is, but either way I dont see the point of it.

*The entire midcap is really tight. The area below the cap is nice, but I think it’s too tight to be really useful.

* Second is an interesting mechanic but it might be too easy to defend. The fact that the logical route from mid leads you into the lobby rather than to the cap is not really a good idea.

*There’s a lot of bad clipping going on. Roofs and cliffs that look accessible arent, but on some you can stand on the very edge due to bad playerclips. Please take a good look at this.

*The lobby area is a major clusterfuck. Seriously.

In general, there are some nice ideas executed in this map, but where you in gullywash have made a brilliant job of keeping everything simple and tidy, this entire map just feels big and messy. I don’t doubt you will be able to make this a viable map for 6v6 tf2 – just make sure you don’t overlook the small things!

Arnold

DAKKA

Thanks for the feedback, i’ll take everything in consideration although i just want to say something about the scale.

Honestly it isn’t that big, i don’t want to scale it down because i just can’t, it would break every cp. It’s also a hassle but that’s no the main reason, i’ve scaled it down quite a bit from the first alpha.

I think the main reason some people complain about size is:
not using the fastest route possible (there is a difference, you can get to 2nd cp faster using the right route, to mid faster using the middle route.
Lack of detail
And some sniper sightline issues.

Davib

These have probably already been posted before so sorry for being useless but these are the two main clipping issues I found:

http://imagefrog.net/show.php/131614_bazillion.png
The whole area in blue has bad clipping, a sticky jump can get you on top and out of the map at any point there really
The red areas shouldnt have clipping imo, I dont like surfaces that look like you should be able to get on them but you cant

http://imagefrog.net/show.php/131615_bazillion2.png
This area also has bad clipping, very easy to get up by jumping aimed at about where the sticky is

Arnold

DAKKA

Mainly worked on the sniper sightlines as you can see (4th image), and trying to detail it so it’s less of a maze.

http://imgur.com/dNbAq.jpg
http://imgur.com/JX6mx.jpg
http://imgur.com/WzB22.jpg
http://imgur.com/SRXya.jpg

Last edited by Arnold,

tarmo-

<3 Fruit

Quoted from Arnold

Mainly worked on the sniper sightlines as you can see (4th image), and trying to detail it so it’s less of a maze.

http://imgur.com/dNbAq.jpg
http://imgur.com/JX6mx.jpg
http://imgur.com/WzB22.jpg
http://imgur.com/SRXya.jpg

from those pictures i got a feeling that the lighting is a tad too bland and boring. it might give a bit that extra amount of good feeling if it was a bit better :p

Waster

Nothing wrong with the lighting, thats how most maps looks. But it can use some extra details and decals.

RaCio

GoT²

Substance over style imo

The layout needs to be perfect first, then people should focus on the details.

Arnold

DAKKA

There’s no HDR guys, and besides i want to keep it clean anyway. just look at how little detail badlands lobby has.

And as Racio said, i’m focusing on gameplay first, cosmetics second.

Eventually i will make it look as good as possible without dropping performance but i honestly don’t feel like i’m there yet.

Last edited by Arnold,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 19 Next »