Forum

Soldier Weps, Overpowered or not?

Created 18th December 2009 @ 05:13

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 31 32 33 ... 59 Next »

U-die

They should have given the soldier 16 rockets, that you can stick to walls, and blow up in individual groups. Oh wait..

Last edited by U-die,

vlad_drac

xoxo

maybe its just me, but I find it easier as scout and especially sniper to kill TDH soldiers now, for sniper is obviously really, you scope-fire-unscope and provided you’re at a reasonable distance you can just sidestep and avoid all damage, as scout if the TDH soldier misses the first rocket he’s screwed, provided he isn’t buffed ofc – even better against the banner soldier, just keep a dodgeable distance, let him waste a few rockets then go at him

Sniper are annoying to hit because of his thin posture. Especially at long range. Disagree on the scout part. You proved it yourself in a pug, you absolutely got destroyed by me as solly (same for jones). You even went soldier after you kept getting dicked :D. And now you can go “omg just a pug, my team was shit” but surely that wouldn’t have stopped you from killing me or my medic? Our medic didn’t even die for the entire duration of the pug (I ended with 15+ frags and 3 deaths myself). Surely with the inability of the tdh to hit scouts you would have destroyed him or me (You as a div1 supah skilled player vs a div3 shitter soldier)? And to be honest, I thought we were going to get rolled when I saw the teams.

Here we go with a koeitje special. Thinly veiled bragging under the guise of discussion points.

If you didn’t use forums, i’d view you as a valuable asset to tf2.

wpminnows

[PG]

maybe its just me, but I find it easier as scout and especially sniper to kill TDH soldiers now, for sniper is obviously really, you scope-fire-unscope and provided you’re at a reasonable distance you can just sidestep and avoid all damage, as scout if the TDH soldier misses the first rocket he’s screwed, provided he isn’t buffed ofc – even better against the banner soldier, just keep a dodgeable distance, let him waste a few rockets then go at him

Sniper are annoying to hit because of his thin posture. Especially at long range. Disagree on the scout part. You proved it yourself in a pug, you absolutely got destroyed by me as solly (same for jones). You even went soldier after you kept getting dicked :D. And now you can go “omg just a pug, my team was shit” but surely that wouldn’t have stopped you from killing me or my medic? Our medic didn’t even die for the entire duration of the pug (I ended with 15+ frags and 3 deaths myself). Surely with the inability of the tdh to hit scouts you would have destroyed him or me (You as a div1 supah skilled player vs a div3 shitter soldier)? And to be honest, I thought we were going to get rolled when I saw the teams.

Here we go with a koeitje special. Thinly veiled bragging under the guise of discussion points.

is 15 kills worth bragging about

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Well, lets be honest. Fragga comes in here going “omg ez mode as sc00t vs tdh”, and I respond to him with my experiences of playing against scouts with the tdh (even with him playing scout). It would make sense that he would be able to easily kill a div3 solly or his medic with his skill/gamesense/aim? Would it not? I would like to test the weapon against scouts like zerox and predz to see how it fares. At the moment I don’t think it’s any worse than the normal rocket launcher. I haven’t noticed a decrease in my efficiency against scouts. But that’s probably because I suck at this game.

@ wpminnows: was 6-1 or 5-0 in no time :/.

Last edited by Koeitje,

Ched

.tony

We have finally arrived, off topic! Yay!

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

We have finally arrived, off topic! Yay!

How is it offtopic when we are talking about scouts/snipers vs the tdh.

Ched

.tony

Just seemed more like several guys flaming and waving their e-peens around. My mistake.

Last edited by Ched,

Seagull

32erz

dh is so weak vs scouts that if you made it take 2 shots instead of 1 to kill a non-overhealed scout then the weapon would be useless

also, here is how the banner charges: http://commforums.com/unlock-details-t2768.html?t=2768

Last edited by Seagull,

Iller

tGa

Just a little offtopic, but.. Seagull ? Imperial ?
This sounds interesting… :-)

Seagull

32erz

IT WAS ANOTHER LIFE

KOVACS

well the pickaxe HAS_ to go. with 1 hp a soli is faster than a scout and can 1 hit a demo.

the direct hit isnt that good. most ppl suck with it as it seems.

And tbh, if you fail to kill a 1 hp solly before he melee’s you, you don’t deserve to survive that fight.

This is such a pathetic argument. He’s going practically at scout speed with a weapon substantially more lethal than the scouts. How many times a game does a scout sneak up on a medic/demo/soldier and deal lethal damage before he’s even been spotted? This coupled with the fact the soldier can rocket jump onto an opponent etc etc etc.

Nerf the damage tbh. If it’s so “useless” it won’t make any difference anyway right?

Good point by kaidus tbh. I can just picture Darn being absolutely insanely effective using Equalizer in his typical RJ-to-medic-assassination attempts. Possibly no need for a fix though on the basis that these kinds of scenarios are quite rare to occur in matches. Time will tell, as always.

@ Fragga on snipers and scouts vs TDH: Personally I consider TDH vs Sniper to be one of its biggest strengths. Can’t see how its easy to miss a strafing sniper with all 4 rockets (if he’s scoped) even at long range i.e. choke to balcony on Badlands. So far I’ve found it incredibly easy and so should other people.

Charging scoped shots as sniper has become much more of a no-go since TDH also. Stay in position for more than a second or two and you risk TDH rockets in your face that you didnt even see coming. Even if you hear them theres little time to unscope and dodge at long range.

Then consider that when scoped you practically have blinders on, theres plenty of opportunity to be surprised unless you are constantly moving aim back and forth between the common entry points, which for the vast majority if not all snipers will lower their accuracy when one does see an opponent and attempt the headshot. No opportunity for a timing shot and mouse not in the best/most comfortable position to hit the highest accuracy.

If you meant unscoped strafing to dodge the rockets, then my bad; then it’s just a case of the soldier being an idiot and not assuming this in the first place then leaving himself open to easy headshots once he can’t harass with rockets or shotgun anymore. (Keep in mind that any hit, even a 3hp shotgun hit at long range knocks off the snipers aim, making it much harder for them to headshot and even bodyshot) It’s definately distracting as sniper to see the rockets fly at you at that speed though, almost as much as knowing there is a spy on the map when playing med/demo/sol.

Versus scouts it doesn’t seem particularly important for the outcome of the fight if you miss the first rocket with TDH provided that you hit with one and switch to shotty before he hurts you to within 1-shot-kill range. Obviously with each miss there is increasing pressure and urgency to hit the next shot though so I can picture how it can easily escalate into a situation where you just get dicked over without doing any damage. I’ve done it myself vs a medic on pub in a straight up needle vs TDH fight where I missed several times and got dicked over by needles before I could even hurt the medic.

About you finding it easier to snipe TDH soldiers than regular sols: I can only assume this is down to TDH soldiers who use higher sensitivities, encouraging them to strafe-aim more than usual at long range in attempt to get the accurate hit, and thus having more predictable movement making them easier to hit. Otherwise surely this is just placebo.

@ Byte on “close” range:
Your figures seem entirely wrong, I guess you consider long range to be much closer than most of us. I’ve consistently been finding that TDH does around 60 damage on long range hits, 70-90 on mid range and 100+ at close range (considering long range to be about the distance across turbine mid point, or the distance between the stacked boxes at either side of Freight mid). Splash hits seem to do about 20-25 damage max at any range.

@ Vlad_drac on bragging/Koeitje
Give it a break man, practically all of your posts are just cynical assaults on other people that contribute absolutely nothing to this discussion. You frequently comment about others having over-inflated egos and the like but it’s strikingly clear that you do also, or maybe it’s just an inferiority complex. It’s funny that you think I’m a complete dick but you act in a very similar manner to how I do in game/irc on these forums.

I see no reason why Koeitje shouldn’t give examples of his own experiences in-game to back up his points. He’s a good player and since this community seems to rate the value of opinions based on the recognition/skill of the player they come from (except from Fragga :D), why shouldn’t he imply/say that he is skilled when he clearly is?

Last edited by KOVACS,

KOVACS

Remove the mini-crits from the direct hit and then allow it. The direct hit is more situational than the original rocket launcher. If a soldier or two choose to use the direct hit then they are choosing to be more situational. In a spamfight the original rocket launcher is much better but in other situations the direct hit is better. The weapon trades the original’s versatility for more situational power. The soldier has always been a class that has been useful in any situation but not as useful as other classes, this brings some new life to the class.

From a theoretical standpoint, if anything the TDH is less situational than the original RL, that is, assuming that the TDH user has an incredibly accurate aim.

For example, when using the old RL at anything further than the end of close range, the opportunity to hit a high damage shot is much more dependent on prediction and thus the movement of the opponent. Using TDH, there are many more situations where it is almost or completely impossible for the opponent to dodge the rocket, assuming you aim with perfect accuracy.

Of course in practice it doesn’t work out like this because we as players and humans are incapable of these levels of consistency and execution without using an aimbot. It pans down to a practically even level of versatility between original RL and TDH if you ask me, which is a great thing.

tl:dr version: Versatility of TDH is more about execution than it is about situation and for the original RL the opposite is true.

One comment I completely disagree with is “The soldier has always been a class that has been useful in any situation”. Soldiers were absolutely diabolical at fighting up-hill from lower positions than opponents before TDH was introduced. Demo’s thrive at fighting from these kinds of positions (e.g. stickies/pipes from bottom of badlands spire onto it) and scouts can also be far more successful from lower positions because of their speed and complete reliance on hitscan weapons.

The equalizer is a straight buff to the soldier class. I can understand this being banned but I don’t think we should get too fussed over it. I would be quite sad to see this banned because soldiers have always been very reliant on a medic. This allows them to survive better without a medic.

I completely agree with this.

The gunboats are hardly anything to worry about. Most soldiers will not give up their shotgun for them. I recon they should be able to be earned through the rocket jump achievement. That way if demomen were given them aswell, they could be earned by their sticky jump achievement. Even as they are, they should not be banned.

Earning through RJ achievement is a good idea imo (or basically any other way to earn them instead of random luck). I disagree with the suggestion of giving them to the demo (why would anyone even use them anyway at the sacrafice of a sticky or pipe launcher???).

For the moment the gunboots seem quite buggy. I reckon Valve as usual just overlooked testing them properly and didn’t even notice that they only work for vertical RJ’s and not at steep angles or off walls. If they get updated to work the same way from all angles then there is potential for discussion of them being imbalanced. As it stands I think not.

The buff banner is seriously over powered and I don’t be surprised if it is banned. This is an extremely fun weapon to use in pubs but too powerful in the hands of a decent team. I hope that valve alter its buff to be fun in pubs and not overpowered in competetive play. I like the idea of it increasing the fire rate instead of causing mini-crits. The difference between this and jarate is that someone who has been hit by jarate has a chance to retreat to safety.

Agree. Personally I’d prefer if they buffed reload rate instead of fire rate or movement speed. Anyone who’s played on a Saigns server vs players with premium accounts should understand why increasing fire-rate or movement-rate considerably can be just as bad as crits, and probably more difficult to balance considering the variety of weapons that would be effected (compared to adjusting reload rate).

Last edited by KOVACS,

vlad_drac

xoxo

Someone’s not happy i called him ignorant 10 pages ago! Cynical unpopular truth is my forte. Rumours that/why i hate you have been misrepresentative of the truth sweetheart.

Last edited by vlad_drac,

KOVACS

Someone’s not happy i called him ignorant 10 pages ago! Cynical unpopular truth is my forte. Rumours that/why i hate you have been misrepresentative of the truth sweetheart.

Mine too, only our perceptions of truth are obviously different:D I havn’t taken any idea of what you think of me from rumours, only what you’ve said to me yourself on IRC many months ago.

tf2street is undeniably the most successful example of what banter like this can result in and I always kind of assumed you were part of it, not for any particular reason other than your writing style and propensity to knock people off their high-horses. I’ve pretty much passed my banter/insult phase now, with the exception of insulting people who attack me first and those who are genuinely terrible at playing this game.

GuMMi

frø
px.

I dont see how u can rage about the FAN but find TDH perfectly ballanced ? wtf is wrong with u its the perfect instagib gun …. ok fan is sick if the guy ure facing can actually hit… but TDH in the hand of someone with flawless aim is even more retarded…..

if they dont fix it.. scouts cant be spotted by sollys unless they are fully buffed..

TDH = fucking retared OP…. – stop crying about the fan already..

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 31 32 33 ... 59 Next »