Forum

Discussion regarding the usage of banned players.

Created 14th October 2009 @ 10:46

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

First off, this topic isn’t about the reason for the ban or if the ban was justified. This topic is about the effect on the league and teams involved. It isn’t about the points lost (-1 instead of +4 is a bit of a blow, but I’m sure we can still win the div), it’s about preventing this shit in the future.

Secondly, I find it hard to believe the admins figured out the deal with Mads just two days ago. I’ve got this weird feeling the admins already had some info on his status before our match on Sunday. Therefore I would like to request the admins to contact team leaders if one of their players is being looked at. This would allow the team leader to bench the player until it’s sorted.

Related to that I also got a request. When Mads was asked to join Loco asked if he had any history, Mads said he didn’t. Considering he already played an entire season (season 5) we thought he was clean (who wouldn’t have?). Seems like it takes the admins well over a season to figure out if people that were banned have returned. I would like to ask to admin to screen all my team members so we don’t run into any surprises from now on. You can contact me on steam or on irc with the results.

What also would be a nice option would be an IP check on all players that you add to your team. There would be no need for people to see IP addresses, just a simple “banned” or “not banned” would be enough.

Cheers.

Last edited by Koeitje,

Jonni

[FB]

I think you’re over-reacting. The Anti Cheat team is busy enough as it is, Maybe you should join the team to screen EVERYONE in etf2l?

Also, telling a teamleader that his player is being investigated would be ridiculous, purely because we don’t know if we can trust anyone in that team.

Take a good look at what you’re asking and please realise its impossible, i’m sorry your team got caught in the middle but this is for 100% Mads/sonofpi3’s fault, not ours. We just do our job!

xzr

As much as this all pisses me off and I very much feel for Rejects I kind of have to agree with Jonni. The admins have loads of work as it is.

Just have to blame the individual cunt who thinks it’s a good idea to play hide n seek.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

I think you’re over-reacting. The Anti Cheat team is busy enough as it is, Maybe you should join the team to screen EVERYONE in etf2l?

Also, telling a teamleader that his player is being investigated would be ridiculous, purely because we don’t know if we can trust anyone in that team.

Take a good look at what you’re asking and please realise its impossible, i’m sorry your team got caught in the middle but this is for 100% Mads/sonofpi3’s fault, not ours. We just do our job!

The story I heard is that he was caught because he used to same IP address. I’m willing to screen everybody on etf2l. One simple SQL query will show all IP addresses that are both in the banned players list and the normal players list. If you grant me access to the database I’ll sort it out.

Being investigated would mean there is already some proof against him right? So what could a team leader do? It also depends on the clan of course, you can’t compare some random div5 clan lead by some random leader to a clan lead by one of the most respected clan leader in etf2l.

What I’m asking is far from impossible. If you don’t want to do it, I’ll do it. Looking forward to admin powers and database access.

And yes, of course I’m quite pissed off. This is the 3rd official that got fucked up because of one of our members being a dick.

@ Xzar: I’ll do it. Got plenty of time to cross-reference names and ip’s of banned members to new members. Mads rejoined etf2l 17 days after he was banned. But somehow he slipped under the radar for 231 days. 231 days in which he played an entire season, played in 5 teams, the Welsh national team. How could we have known he was banned before? If you see that kind of history you trust somebody. Especially if you ask them about his history. You can say everything you want, but it’s a major blunder on the admins side.

Last edited by Koeitje,

Skyride

DUCS

I doubt he was caught by IP. He probably has a dynamic IP, no way would he get away with playing for 10months before someone noticed, and even if he does have a static IP, 99% of people are going to have dynamic anyway.

Tbh though, I don’t see why in hell TDR are being penalised for it though. I +1 any petition to get this reversed.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

I doubt he was caught by IP. He probably has a dynamic IP, no way would he get away with playing for 10months before someone noticed, and even if he does have a static IP, 99% of people are going to have dynamic anyway.

After being caught Mads said he had a static ip and didn’t bother to change it. If you then google his old nick you find an xfire profile with his name and some other stuff. This is why Anakin asked Waster what mads’ real name was. That was sunday evening. That’s why I got the gut feeling they had some intel about him before sunday.

The question is how we can prevent these kind of situations in the future? We were hoping for an easy promotion to div2, but with -1 points instead of standing at +4 it’s going to be a bit harder. If anybody can do some math on it that would be great.

Last edited by Koeitje,

Chubbsta

It must be extremely annoying what has happened and I feel for you guys, although I, like most, know you will come back from this set back even stronger :)

Unfortunately, you can’t have a rule for one and not for all. I know loco is well known and respected, but it is unfair to only let certain team leaders to have access to something and not others, this then leads to the problem of trust and abuse within the system etc etc.

Unfortunately I think the only thing that will help to prevent things like this happening is to make the use on an anti cheat software tool compulsory, unfortunately these tools aren’t without issues themselves.

Its a horrible situation, but GL to you guys and hopefully something positive will come out of this situation which will stop or at least decrease the chances of it from happening in the future.

xzr

Well the problem is that TDR used a known cheater in one of their matches. Unknowingly but anyway. Penalty for such has always been a default win for the opposing team.

In theory he could’ve been cheating in the said match and provided an unfair advantage.
It sucks, but here you just have to go by the rules.

Can’t say I agree with the Major warning they get for this though. This kiddo played the system for a long time

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

Use of an unauthorized player is a major warning, all major warnings carry a 1 point deduction.

We can’t prove either way whether a team knows someone is a former cheat or not, so we have to go with the assumption they did otherwise we’d have to give every single team the benefit of the doubt, meaning teams who knowingly use a cheating player would get away with it.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Use of an unauthorized player is a major warning, all major warnings carry a 1 point deduction.

We can’t prove either way whether a team knows someone is a former cheat or not, so we have to go with the assumption they did otherwise we’d have to give every single team the benefit of the doubt, meaning teams who knowingly use a cheating player would get away with it.

I’m not asking for any proof. I’m asking for a faster response from the admins against these cases. This guy played for over 200 days, in 5 clans, national team and an entire season. If you got any doubts about a player let the team leader know (if it’s not some random guy). The ip cross check when adding a player to a roster I requested wasn’t for insurance or anything. Just an extra filter to filter out these kind of players. You could even cross check ip addresses from all the users logged into the site. It’s quite easy to script a script that randomly checks 1 out of every 50 users logged in each day. This won’t stop people changing ip’s, but it’s just added protection.

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

Well done; this is why TDR shouldn’t be punished.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Well done; this is why TDR shouldn’t be punished.

Well they didn’t do their job properly though. 230 days, 1 entire season, 5 teams + national team. This wasn’t something like the 2SYK/joske thing (top demo shows up out of the blue). But I already talked to some admins on IRC about this, and they are looking into it. So it’s out of my hands :).

Last edited by Koeitje,

wer

tfortress.no

If you got any doubts about a player let the team leader know (if it’s not some random guy).

A known and respected team leader could also be cheating/know that his teammate is cheating.
Just because he’s known and respected doesn’t mean he’s innocent. (I’m not saying this is the case here, just stating how this works).
Rules should be equal to everyone.

Last edited by wer,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

If you got any doubts about a player let the team leader know (if it’s not some random guy).

A known and respected team leader could also be cheating/know that his teammate is cheating.
Just because he’s known and respected doesn’t mean he can’t cheat. (I’m not saying this is the case here, just stating how this works).
Rules should be equal to everyone.

I am fully aware of that. Just shows how hard it is to make fair rules. It also shows that at the end of the day the fair players get fucked because it seems that a team leader is guilty unless proven innocent (which is impossible).

Loco

Mayo

Yes and for the record could someone tell me the punishment for team wales
for useing a known banned cheat in there roster also,
if it is good enough for us to take punishment on banned players we had no idea about who has cheated the system for 10mnths
then its only fair this also apply’s to the wales national team
so id like to hear from an etf2l admin on there current situation and the punishment they also will recieve as obviously people may think i new he was a cheat” quite ridiculous tbh” and yet team wales welcomed a cheat into there games,
feel free to comment

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »