Forum

Unlocks panel

Created 30th June 2012 @ 12:31

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 19 20 21 ... 28 Next »

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Vali

If you’re bored of tf2’s current playstyle, what I say to you is just try new things. Play more aggressively. Push without obvious advantages. Sit down and work out new tactics for you to try. You don’t need unlocks in order to make such a playstyle viable. Many, many teams could afford to play a lot more aggressively without even sacrificing their playstyle: they just don’t take advantage of the advantages that they have in a given situation. While it can be hard for players below the top level to truly innovate, give it a try. You might just surprise yourself.

Hallelujah.

Vali /Thread

Kaneco

I took my time to open a thread on SPUF, there was already one similar but it was created in the competitive area of the forum and if you want to know the real pubbers pov on the matter it had to be done on the main forum… Got a little surprised as it had over 11 pages of replies in less than 1 day.

Please take a look at the replies if you wish to know what is preventing more players to get into the comp scene…
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31594606

Pro Tip: At least 50% of the complaints are unlock related

You can say “but those guys don’t know anything about the game”, well probably they don’t know as much as you, but it’s still turning them away from comp and preventing the scene to get bigger.

Last edited by Kaneco,

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Kaneco

I took my time to open a thread on SPUF, there was already one similar but it was created in the competitive area of the forum and if you want to know the real pubbers pov on the matter it had to be done on the main forum… Got a little surprised as it had over 11 pages of replies in less than 1 day.

I did something similar in some German communites but did not suggest answers, like you did. Surprisingly, the most people said they either have no time or do not know where to start. Did CrashSite say newbie mixes?

Kaneco

Quoted from CanFo

[…]
I did something similar in some German communites but did not suggest answers, like you did. Surprisingly, the most people said they either have no time or do not know where to start. Did CrashSite say newbie mixes?

I had absolutely no intention to influence answers by listing some possible cases. If it did to some, I’m sorry but I did this with the best intention, I really wanted to know what is stopping these players from going comp.

And yes lot’s of people also mentioned the time factor or the don’t know where to get team / start.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Kaneco

I had absolutely no intention to influence answers by listing some possible cases. If it did to some, I’m sorry but I did this with the best intention, I really wanted to know what is stopping these players from going comp.

I believe you but suggesting answers is pretty much the first thing you learn to manipulate answers to your advantage in any statistics class which makes that thread on SPUF worthless to me. There is another one in the comp. TF2 SPUF though…

Last edited by CanFo,

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Actually reading your thread, seems classes are a much bigger issue. Plus SPUF is a small % + getting people to try something normal gets them to enjoy also leading question and furthermore streams can help’s people views.

Well you get the point.

There is a rucurring thing that people don’t think they are good enough, something we can change.

Also appears everyone in lobbies are dicks (cough newbie mixes would sort this problem cough)

Also it appears everyone on SPUF mains pyro.

Last edited by CrashSite,

.____________.

Ok, how about, to attract the SPUF community.. we change the format to 12v12, cl 3, all unlocks allowed, custom maps with a mapvo….. wait.

Kaneco

Quoted from CrashSite

Actually reading your thread, seems classes are a much bigger issue. Plus SPUF is a small % + getting people to try something normal gets them to enjoy also leading question and furthermore streams can help’s people views.

Albeit the small %, I think it’s one of the best samples to test what’s the problem actually. Is there any other community with discussion forums that is not already comp involved or trade involved?

Quoted from CrashSite

There is a rucurring thing that people don’t think they are good enough, something we can change.

Yes this is an issue that needs to be addressed. Altough I think we can’t and shouldn’t focus on people without minimal knowledge of the game (ie >20-30 hrs). But anyone with a decent understanding of the game, no matter the skill is a good prospect, and they need to understand that, there is no low skill limit.

Quoted from CrashSite

Also appears everyone in lobbies are dicks (cough newbie mixes would sort this problem cough)

This is something I experienced myself. I started playing 6s in lobbies and it was awful at times the treatment I received.

Quoted from CrashSite

Also it appears everyone on SPUF mains pyro.

YES, lol! :D

Quoted from Kaneco

Please take a look at the replies if you wish to know what is preventing more players to get into the comp scene…
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31594606

Pro Tip: At least 50% of the complaints are unlock related

You can say “but those guys don’t know anything about the game”, well probably they don’t know as much as you, but it’s still turning them away from comp and preventing the scene to get bigger.

Not only did hardly any give unlocks as an excuse, but they will want unlocks which we simply can’t allow. Ask any of them whether the gunboats or equaliser is holding them back from 6s and the answer is bound to be a resounding no IMO.

The real thing stopping people from getting into competitive 6v6 is they want to play a class that we don’t (for some reason pubbers seem to think we ban classes, not that the classes are I’ll suited to our meta) time restrictions and a view that 6v6 is not ‘real’ tf2

TF2 is never going to be a big export or have large competitive communities. End of. The very fact we have to think about making our community more attractive to newcomers hits the nail on the head. The transition between pub and comp is too great, and while we shouldn’t try and turn people away, we should be happy with what we’ve got.

Last edited by Chaplain,

kaidus

WiK?

It’s fairly fuckin simple. Games will only ever work competitively on a huge scale if an effective competitive gametype is incorporated into the game and seen as the proper way to play. TF2 wasn’t designed for competitive play so no such thing exists in the game itself, but we made it work anyway and just have to settle for what we have. Players will come and go, I’d say we’ve done pretty good – all things considered.

Also this thread is beyond a joke someone please kill me.

ouizzeul

BnR!

I read the thread. Yes a lot of people say that unlock and class restrict was a problem. Also a lot of them say that they don’t have time or skill and that the community is a bunch of stupid guys that only say : “you are bad, i’m good”.

I think we should stop saying that 6v6 is 2 scouts/2 sol/1 dem/1 med. We should let them play as they want, but with class limitation. They’re gonna get rape, and don’t came back, because they don’t understand how it works.
Some people might just stay, the good one, the one you want to play competitive, not the one you just wanna test and don’t because of 1000000 differents excuses.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

If I read one more: the game is meant to be 12vs12, I might have to kill someone.

Or even worse, Highlander is how TF2 is meant to be played.

Do people who play spy not realise that the fact that the other team knows a spy is around deminishes the effectiviness of the spy.

Last edited by CrashSite,

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

I don’t get how it is always black and white for them, I mean i still play pub a lot.

and apperently tf2lobby is a horrible place and must consist of people that fit the following criteria:

-thinks he’s gods gift to tf2
-horrible attitude so he doesnt find a team / not actually good enough for a decent team

EDIT:

I wonder where that Idea comes from that people think they are not skilled enough for 6v6. Imho everybody could do div6 with a little effort (rollouts/really basic push-hold dynamics)

Although thinking back, I was thinking the same, so I practices airshot maps/played turris/played jumpmaps and practiced rollouts (which was overkill for div6)

Last edited by slate,

Sketch

MM

If I remember correctly The game was actually designed for both 8v8 and 12v12 the beta had servers locked to 24 men and most servers were only 16 men IIRC. I don’t really know what this adds to the discussion but everyone seems to think The game was only made for 24 people.

And no crash people who play spy are dumb. That’s why tyre are always 3-5 spies on every server. And at least 4 of them propping up the bottom of the scoreboard. And one guy at the top.

Last edited by Sketch,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 19 20 21 ... 28 Next »