Forum

Vanilla + medlocks (+ maps, apparently)

Created 3rd May 2011 @ 15:07

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 24 25 26 ... 46 Next »

hans

Quoted from CanFo

I disagree, however, that it is easier to acclimatise for spectators and new players because most of them will come from public play where you hardly find a server that has unlocks banned.

All the time I see people declaring that new players want unlocks, that players in lower divisions want unlocks. I’d like to see evidence of that that goes beyond “my three mates told me” and the same five people whining on the forums. Is it really true that people who come from public servers will want to play with unlocks?

I can only judge from my own experience, but that one is completely to the contrary. I started public TF2 shortly before the Soldier update and competitive shortly after it. The change was overwhelming, there was so much to learn. I was very happy to find out a good deal of the unlocks were banned in competitive and four classes hardly used, as I had enough to deal with rollouts, pushes, map details, calls… Had there been a billion unlocks as well I probably wouldn’t be playing now at all.

Coming from public play you have to get used to a completely different game at all. Accepting that there are no unlocks should be part of it, just like accepting that there are six players, classlimit 2/1 and so on. If I had only started comp TF2 now, I don’t think I’d have had a problem with that.

That’s “public players want unlocks.” Here’s “low div players want unlocks” for you: One year later I still have enough to deal with pushes, counterpushes, ubers and calls, as I discover new levels of the game. I’m nowhere near the point where I want to deal with random unlocks as well. I don’t need them in my game and I don’t want them there either.

I’m hardly the only one who feels like that, am I?

Will

why is this discussion still going, admins here will do whatever they want, even if it destroys the league imo(i havent seen anything that says otherwise) I almost quit aswell due to the unlock rules simply because thats what I came here trying to avoid in pubs (about a year ago) only for admins to think it would be a better league if we got swarms of pub players playing.

in short admins will do what they want, even if its benefical or detrimental to the league
competitive is a far different gamestyle and if ppl want reduced unlocks & teamwork then they will find their way here if its what they really want.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Will

why is this discussion still going, admins here will do whatever they want, even if it destroys the league imo(i havent seen anything that says otherwise) I almost quit aswell due to the unlock rules simply because thats what I came here trying to avoid in pubs (about a year ago) only for admins to think it would be a better league if we got swarms of pub players playing.

Way to overreact. s9 had like 3 or 4 widely used unlocks. The rest was off-class stuff that nobody ever used anyway.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Way to overreact. s9 had like 3 or 4 widely used unlocks. The rest was off-class stuff that nobody ever used anyway.

I agree with Spike, was really weird to see people quitting THIS season due to unlocks, when the majority of the most used unlocks were banned.

Ghostface

spire

People are hypocrites, what can you do.

Will

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

call it an overreaction if you want, I didnt like unlocks in pubs so why should i like them here? everyone has an opinion sry if mine doesnt agree with yours.

randa

Quoted from CrashSite

[…]

I agree with Spike, was really weird to see people quitting THIS season due to unlocks, when the majority of the most used unlocks were banned.

Bonk alone makes me rage and can be used as the ultimate troll weapon, I should know.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from randa

[…]

Bonk alone makes me rage and can be used as the ultimate troll weapon, I should know.

Ideally I would like to see bonk only on gpit, as it just makes teh map a little more friendly for scoots (I am solly btw).

But bonk is easy enough to counter, at least at the div 3/4 level I play, and the loss of the pistol is huge, although I suck with scattergun and prefer to use pistol…

randa

Quoted from CrashSite

[…]

Ideally I would like to see bonk only on gpit, as it just makes teh map a little more friendly for scoots (I am solly btw).

But bonk is easy enough to counter, at least at the div 3/4 level I play, and the loss of the pistol is huge, although I suck with scattergun and prefer to use pistol…

Scout runs in suicidally gets 70dmg on the medic and then is allowed to escape because of bonk, they then send a solly in to finish the medic as hes low. Alternatively you can block the sollies and medic in the house on badlands with bonk on middle fights that works with top level tf2. It’s just retarded, it forces you to go valley so you can predict what middle play the enemy team is going to make every round.

laerin

-9w-

Quoted from CrashSite

[…]

Probably because they expected a change to happen this season. And also the map pool having 7 maps, 2 of which had never been used before (warmfront being almost universally hated I believe).

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from laerin

[…]

Probably because they expected a change to happen this season. And also the map pool having 7 maps, 2 of which had never been used before (warmfront being almost universally hated I believe).

It was a massive change, going form almost all unlocks, to only those used by off-classes, which people rarely play.

Also the map pool is not as bad as people make out. When looking for a PCW, people only want to play three maps. Unless it is the week of that map. It is ridiculous at the lack of variety that people play in maps, if I suggest gpit or turbine all I get is QQ, if you disagree with me, please challenge LTG to a game on a different map.

I don’t think it is a problem with the maps, but with the people.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from randa

[…]

Scout runs in suicidally gets 70dmg on the medic and then is allowed to escape because of bonk, they then send a solly in to finish the medic as hes low. Alternatively you can block the sollies and medic in the house on badlands with bonk on middle fights that works with top level tf2. It’s just retarded, it forces you to go valley so you can predict what middle play the enemy team is going to make every round.

If a scoot tries that, then he is usually killed before getting out, as bonk takes time to equip and then chug, they rarely get dmg on the medic as you can just juggle them, but it might be different at prem level. If the scoot doesn’t get out, then it is the same as if he didn’t have bonk, and the fact he was committed to getting out meant he might have been able to pick the medic, if he had already got 70 dmg on him, but instead runs out.

Can’t comment on BL tactic, spose it could work, although I don’t know where he is drinking it, to be fast enough to block people in, but not in the open to die from scoots, I spose under bridge, but risky as hell leaving a demo and scoot vs 2 scoots and a demo.

Last edited by CrashSite,

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from Will

call it an overreaction if you want, I didnt like niggas in africa so why should i like them here? everyone has an opinion sry if mine doesnt agree with yours.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from Waebi

[…]

Not equivalent statements, one is racist and irrational, one isn’t.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Will

[…]

call it an overreaction if you want, I didnt like unlocks in pubs so why should i like them here? everyone has an opinion sry if mine doesnt agree with yours.

Hm, must say though that “admins here will do whatever they want” doesn’t really sound like expressing one’s opinion, but rather an uninformed ignorant dig.
But I guess that that’s just my opinion.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 24 25 26 ... 46 Next »