Forum

ETF2L: The problem

Created 6th March 2011 @ 14:50

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 14 15 16 ... 31 Next »

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Quoted from piece

Weren’t you the one defending the Fan when it was clearly overpowered and annoying beyond any believe?
Pretty much trying to reason the rest of the world with the exact same arguments?
Sounds obsolete to me.

The FaN was never overpowered. It isn’t now, and it wasn’t back then. I have never found the FaN annoying, but I would consider it to be ‘less annoying’ now.

Nothing has changed, except for my own willingness to compramise, which is why I rarely bring it up. Not only that, but I know nothing I will say, will get ETF2L to reverse their decision once it was banned, so there was no point in arguing it further than what was said back then.

If I was writing a list of unlocks, that I felt improved the game, the FaN would be listed as one of them. The additional scout playstyle and the added movement capabilities do enhance the game.

If you think it’s overpowered, you are either a dumb scout who doesn’t know how to play against anything other than running at the enemy team’s scout in a race to see who can m1 the most accurately, or you are a medic who is complaining that a scout can 2 shot you (which they can allready, except they have a slightly easier time aiming it, at the risk of missing a shot and being a fish out of water).

If you need some hints on how to play against a FaN scout… speak to Shintaz. When I was running FaN, I simply couldn’t ever engage him because I could never get into a position that favoured the FaN scout, because he wasn’t dumb enough to move into one of them.

Not that it matters as it is banned, but saying it was overpowered is just jumping on the bandwagon of the people who simply couldn’t play against it, and didn’t want to use it themselves (because they were bad with it), which I find incredibly dumb. If there was an enemy FaN scout in the game, I actually preffered to play scattergun against them, and it was very easy to kill them).

Now get back on topic.

AnimaL

scouts cant twoshot medics bcs some use mouse2

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Cool, Shintaz never went around a corner. Advanced tf2 right there.

Stranger

2stronk

Quoted from byte

I wonder, how much pressure would be eased off if the following was suggested.

“The Gentlemen’s rule is now enforced in every match, where every team by default is to assume it is vanilla + medlocks, however if one team wishes to use an unlock out of the unlocks ruleset allowed mentioned, then they can do so, but only if they notify the other team before the match starts.”

So in simple English this is basically a default without mentioning anything it is vanilla + medlocks only, however if the other team wants to use a unlock out of the unlocks allowed stated by the league then they can do so but only if it is stated before the match starts/match page.

That way, the pressure and abuse can partially go on the team and not on the league, as I’m sure if this was to go ahead at most 3 out of the top 10 prem teams would all agree on vanilla in the ETF2L matches and 2/3 would not.

So those who disagree will get added slating/pressure/troll’ed/hated more in the community and eventually give up/fold/go vanilla.

What’s that you say? “Or you could just enforce vanilla + medlocks?”

Remember this is a hypothetical suggestion

Cheers

Byte

This is how esl works atm. ….

AcidReniX

Quoted from Koeitje

Cool, Shintaz never went around a corner. Advanced tf2 right there.

The principle is that if the FaN scout has somewhere to hide for the duration of his reloads, he’s in a pretty good position. If the FaN scout is also at close range for his first shot, he’s in an even better position.

Too many top scouts will want to simply run towards the enemy scout shooting their scattergun. All the FaN scout needed to do was delay the first shot until they are close, and then let off two more powerful hits. I was laughing at how easy FaN was against some players, not because of the gun, but because of how dumb they were at engaging it. It was mostly the top scouts who were the easiest to play against, because they are so confident in their aim, they would constantly move towards you trying to do increased damage per shot, without knowing it’s putting them in a bad position.

When you fight soldiers, you realise that being at point blank range puts the advantage in the soldier’s hands, but at a certain distance, the fight starts to favour the scout (medic does swing this back to the soldier). The same was very much true with the FaN, but people still decided to treat a FaN scout like a scattergun scout.

It’s not just about engaging a FaN scout around a corner. There were small tactics you could use to beat a FaN scout in close quarters. The damage output of the two guns are still resonably similar over two shots, but if you can survive the initial two shots, quite often it was possible to do a quick charge and make sure your third shot crippled him, and then retreat to an obstical (so you have got 3 shots on him, he only has 2 on you).

I play with scattergun now, and I still try to use the same style of play that I played with the FaN. It’s less effective, but I don’t find the game any harder, infact, DM is much much easier, it’s just sneak attacks and key picks that might have benefitted from the FaN a bit… certainly not what I would consider to be overpowered.

lork

“The FaN was never overpowered. It isn’t now, and it wasn’t back then”

if you can’t see that the fan was overpowered as fuck then it is meaningless to discuss with you about anything related to tf2

RaCio

GoT²

I remember suggesting valve to improve the FaN on the old beta forums, but Moose and some other div1 players claimed the weapon was balanced fine.

AcidReniX

Care to explain how exactly it was overpowered?

kaidus

WiK?

Fan lets shit players be better. It’s peak isn’t as high as the scatter but it’s certainly a lot easier to reach. Thinking anything else is merely clutching at the straws of some lost notion of pride for one’s accomplishments with the fan.

AcidReniX

Quoted from RaCio

I remember suggesting valve to improve the FaN on the old beta forums, but Moose and some other div1 players claimed the weapon was balanced fine.

It was balanced fine.
The problem was that people found it annoying, and once people started to question why having something annoying was a bad thing, it suddenly became overpowered… easier to use… ruins the game etc…

Most people don’t argue against it because they actually know the weapon. They just argue against it because it is something they don’t want to use… and they don’t want the enemy to use out of spite because they don’t want to use it (“If I’m not using it… it doesn’t benefit me to have it in the game, therefore I will vote to get rid of it”).

AcidReniX

Quoted from kaidus

Fan lets shit players be better. It’s peak isn’t as high as the scatter but it’s certainly a lot easier to reach. Thinking anything else is merely clutching at the straws of some lost notion of pride for one’s accomplishments with the fan.

So you have a weapon that is easier to use… but less effective at higher levels.
And this is imbalanced? I would consider this to be a good trade off. (btw, I do disagree, but i’ll just go with it to save us some time).

I guess the huntsman is imbalanced too then.
Oh and I guess people should run the Ambassador over the regular spy gun… since it’s harder to use and we want everything in this game to have a really high skill cap.

TDH to RPG is the same as
Scattergun to FaN.

RPG would be easier to use for a bad player, but TDH has much more potential for a high skilled player. Give a lowbie the TDH and they will not do half as good as they would with the RPG.

Talking about skill caps defining if an unlock should be banned or not is very dumb when there are allready reverses of that example that exist in the game, which you too want banned.

Matt

TEZC
TEZC

TDH is piss easy, even if it is just luck shots, one shot weapons suck.

kaidus

WiK?

Quoted from AcidReniX

[…]
Talking about skill caps defining if an unlock should be banned or not is very dumb when there are allready reverses of that example that exist in the game, which you too want banned.

These words that you put into my mouth don’t taste very nice.

I just remembered why I stopped having this argument.

TopGear

tH

With regards to the unlocks issue, it would appear that no matter what decision is reached not everyone will be happy with it, everyone knows that once a comprimise is agreed both sides never really get what they want.

But what we should be asking isnt what unlocks should be allowed in the competitive tf2 scene but rather what is the future of competitive tf2. Are we going to be doing the same old vanilla tf2 forever or do we embrace the new features added to the game and change the dynamic of tf2. Do we want to see mini sentries poping up all over the place ? Do we want to see people pushing with a buff banner charge ? Do you want to attempt a push on last cap vs 2 wrangler sentries ?

Lets rememeber that competitive tf2 is a game that is supposed to be fun to play, yet still allows us to show off our skills. Vanilla tf2 is quite balanced, however could tf2 be better, more fun or more balanced with the new features added ? Possibly.

From what I have observed, the solution to this problem is either stick with vanilla or integrate new features / game dynamics into competitive tf2. Personally I dont mind either way, but if the latter is decided upon. I would like to see all unlocks adhere to a ruleset of the following:

NO weapon/unlock should be allowed into competitive tf2 that either

a: Gives a class a significant advantage over another class
b: Allows a weapon to 1 shot kill another player from full health unless via a critial hit/ headshot or backstab
c: Gives a class a buff that makes the class extremly hard / impossible to kill
d: Would result in a negative impact on gameplay

The only other option is to run 2 leagues with different rules.

minimoose

Quoted from TopGear

With regards to the unlocks issue, it would appear that no matter what decision is reached not everyone will be happy with it, everyone knows that once a comprimise is agreed both sides never really get what they want.

But what we should be asking isnt what unlocks should be allowed in the competitive tf2 scene but rather what is the future of competitive tf2. Are we going to be doing the same old vanilla tf2 forever or do we embrace the new features added to the game and change the dynamic of tf2. Do we want to see mini sentries poping up all over the place ? Do we want to see people pushing with a buff banner charge ? Do you want to attempt a push on last cap vs 2 wrangler sentries ?

Lets rememeber that competitive tf2 is a game that is supposed to be fun to play, yet still allows us to show off our skills. Vanilla tf2 is quite balanced, however could tf2 be better, more fun or more balanced with the new features added ? Possibly.

From what I have observed, the solution to this problem is either stick with vanilla or integrate new features / game dynamics into competitive tf2. Personally I dont mind either way, but if the latter is decided upon. I would like to see all unlocks adhere to a ruleset of the following:

NO weapon/unlock should be allowed into competitive tf2 that either

a: Gives a class a significant advantage over another class
b: Allows a weapon to 1 shot kill another player from full health unless via a critial hit/ headshot or backstab
c: Gives a class a buff that makes the class extremly hard / impossible to kill
d: Would result in a negative impact on gameplay

The only other option is to run 2 leagues with different rules.

So like, every unlock except the fish, which is awesome and should replace the bat anyway.

On a serious note, one unlock which comes to mind which is actually a decent side grade to it’s alternative is the flaregun, can’t think of many others.

Last edited by minimoose,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 14 15 16 ... 31 Next »