Forum

ETF2L: The problem

Created 6th March 2011 @ 14:50

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 15 16 17 ... 31 Next »

Tikcus

Quoted from TopGear

a: Gives a class a significant advantage over another class
b: Allows a weapon to 1 shot kill another player from full health unless via a critial hit/ headshot or backstab
c: Gives a class a buff that makes the class extremly hard / impossible to kill
d: Would result in a negative impact on gameplay

a: you can’t compare class to class like that, scouts have advantages of demos in certain situations, soldiers have advantages over scouts in certain situations, all most unlocks do is change the situations, this is good or bad depending on which side of the fence you sit on.
b: fair enough, however if the weapon requires skill to use this may need adjusting
c: Doubt it will ever happen, but please tell me one unlock that does this (apart from fists of steel)
d: opinionated

It’s not a simple as your 4 rules, unfortunately

TopGear

tH

Quoted from Tikcus

[…]

a: you can’t compare class to class like that, scouts have advantages of demos in certain situations, soldiers have advantages over scouts in certain situations, all most unlocks do is change the situations, this is good or bad depending on which side of the fence you sit on.
b: fair enough, however if the weapon requires skill to use this may need adjusting
c: Doubt it will ever happen, but please tell me one unlock that does this (apart from fists of steel)
d: opinionated

It’s not a simple as your 4 rules, unfortunately

Unfortunately your interpretation of my post is only focusing on current unlocks, let me try and expand a little:

a: a new Unlock is introduced, wearer is immune to backstabs, result big advantage over spies or maybe a new scout gun is released, +20damage vs [insert class here].

b: Yes, it could also depend on skill, so add in a factor for how likely a weapon would kill in 1 hit when making a decision on said unlock

c: see point about future unlocks

d: discretion of league/cup/governing body/community opinion

and yes im sure there are other rules that could be added to be used to create a de facto standard that can be used when deciding on what to allow or disallow for the competitive scene.

However, developing a ruleset for unlocks is more constructive than 12 pages of argument over the fan pre/post nerf.

Tikcus

Quoted from TopGear

[…]

However, developing a ruleset for unlocks is more constructive than 12 pages of argument over the fan pre/post nerf.

+1 to that

Last edited by Tikcus,

Si^

T2P
[PG]

All this FaN talk and no Gummi?

And wasn’t the issue with the FaN that the “knock back effect” was broken didn’t really knock you back but stunned you regardless of how many bullets hit? Which was BS but there is no point arguing with Acid….

piece

Naha its fun to read him boasting how awesome he was with that gun. Owning the top scouts etc. But never wondered why the top scouts actually didnt use it themselves….because it was boring to stun and kill…stun and kil….all the time?
Can’t be…they were just shit with that weapon….unlike Arx….best scout on earth and clearly smarter then the top scouts :)

Matt

TEZC
TEZC

Fan is/was for fags, boring weapon.

Netsky

Hm TopGear I think your approach to the problem might be the best up to this post, since you don’t take any stance to those “common” rulesets.

Quoted from TopGear

Absolutely right.

The thing is, we would have to go through every single weapon and apply your criteria. Some weapons will be done in a second, others might need a second thought on it. For instance TDH can One-shoot scouts, so we don’t want it, but what about the gunboats? The don’t do anything bad, they just enhance the mobility of the soldier. (for a fair trade-off since the shotgun is used quite often)

Nevertheless very good and constructive post TopGear :)

Last edited by Netsky,

Retsh0ck

32erz
2strong

It’s pretty simple, make vanilla+med locks as the ruleset and whoever wanna play with unlocks agree with the other team. That’ll be much easier – instead of forcing someone to have a change and play against/with new weapons, you could force them to play like they were used to, which has nothing wrong with it since no one ever complained at that(!).

nvc

Quoted from Retsh0ck

It’s pretty simple, make vanilla+med locks as the ruleset and whoever wanna play with unlocks agree with the other team. That’ll be much easier – instead of forcing someone to have a change and play against/with new weapons, you could force them to play like they were used to, which has nothing wrong with it since no one ever complained at that(!).

nvc

One of the main problems with unlocks is that they add a level of random play into the game too. Playing a specific way to anticipate the use of kritz is fair enough, but sometimes you’re just kept in the dark as you simply don’t know for others (that are in slot 2/3 specifically).

M0res idea is the best. If you continue along the road of allowing unlocks we will continue to have these shitty threads season in season out with unlock complaints, nothing will ever be standardized or truely balanced. So if you want change, go make a new map, otherwise just play on M0res suggestion where you can agree with the opponent to use unlocks. I’m sure somebody could devise a voting/ready up plugin for a server where during warmup every player has to vote yes or no for unlocks before readying up, in which case they then MANUALLY use either an unlock rule set or vanilla… or they can just agree on the match page.

Last edited by nvc,

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Quoted from piece

Naha its fun to read him boasting how awesome he was with that gun. Owning the top scouts etc. But never wondered why the top scouts actually didnt use it themselves….because it was boring to stun and kill…stun and kil….all the time?
Can’t be…they were just shit with that weapon….unlike Arx….best scout on earth and clearly smarter then the top scouts :)

I don’t boast about how good I was with the gun. I’ve always been able to hold my own against top scouts, even when not being one myself. What I do talk about, is how bad the top scouts are at playing against the gun. It’s nothing to do with how I play, it’s how they play.

It’s funny though, when the top scouts raged over the FaN mid-game, and then switched to it to proove a point, suddenly they were so much less effective and ended up switching back because they did nothing with it. It’s not about it being boring for them to stun players and kill them, it’s that they can’t use the gun so they don’t use the gun (then request it to be banned so no one else can). In so many games, players would say “FaN is so OP”, then they switch to it, and they sucked with it. This is part of what I base my opinion on when I say that top players choose not to use the gun, not because of boring, OP, or a moral highground. It could be wrong factually, but this is my opinion.

As for being the smartest scout on earth, my team would not agree (I did see the sarcasm btw). I push too aggressive, I nearly always have double the number of deaths than anyone else on my team, and my decision making isn’t so good. But what I do realise is that you need to play differently against different classes, and some unlocks can transform a class into a completely different one, which then needs a different style to play against them. This is something a lot of players do not realise.

To be honest, if I had no interest in using an unlock, because I know I am worse with it… why would I want to let the enemy team use it, where someone might be able to use it to more effect? We do not benefit from the unlock being allowed, they do (could), so I’d shout for it to be banned and then make up a tonne of excuses as to why it should be banned. If my team was the best in Europe using vanilla rules (See Dignitas WASM), and then not the best in Europe using ETF2L rules (See Dignitas ETF2L), it would make sense to try to promote vanilla rules as it is in their interest.

Anyway, I’ll let you guys debate it out, I’m pretty bored of this post now. If the top teams don’t want to join, it doesn’t matter. I’m in the process of securing a very nice sponsor for our team, based on solely the fact that there are over 30 000 registered members on this website, and we will be in the highest division promoting the company in question whenever anyone reads a forum post by our members, checks the league table, whenever we play a match, and also the premiership coverage. I’m sure several of the teams that replace the leaving teams in prem will be able to secure organisations or sponsors based on the same principle. People look at the top division… take advantage of it :)

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from Retsh0ck

Yet you’re fine with forcing others to NOT use unlocks?

Martn

As a pro “cinnamon” player i could get behind the rule playing vanilla + medlocks unless both teams agree.
On the condition equalizer, bonk and sandvich would be allowed without consent of the oppenent.

Pyle

This thread is a perfect cure for insomnia.

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from Martn

As a pro “cinnamon” player i could get behind the rule playing vanilla + medlocks unless both teams agree.
On the condition equalizer, bonk and sandvich would be allowed without consent of the oppenent.

the point is that some unlocks indeed make only sense to use when the opponent does NOT know you’re using it. (Dead Ringer is a good example of this, same goes for minisentries etc which are shit anyway).

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 15 16 17 ... 31 Next »