Forum

sv_minupdaterate, sv_mincmdrate

Created 7th January 2009 @ 07:38

Add A Reply Pages: 1

a3x

Can somebody explain me why these settings have values of “50” in ETF2L config? I think a lot of players have problems with them…For example, I choose different cl_updaterate for each server an often play with cl_updaterate 20, cl_cmdrate 30 (default settings). So why must I have 50 chokes in hard scenes only because i can’t lower cl_updaterate value?

beta

RaWr ::

I think your find it is actually the other way round.

Most players are fine with the at least the 50 minimum server cmd rate and updaterate. Anything lower then this is usually considered by some to be ‘low rating’

As you guessed, these settings all work with the netcode and having a minimum value stops abuse of these settings. I would explain these but im lazy as it would take a while but to put it simple terms, with the right settings it can make you a lot harder to hit.

I would suggest having a look around on google if you are after a detailed decription of what these settings actually do.

May I ask what your connection is? Choke is usually client based lag (assuming you are playing on a reputable server host) I would look there first before thinking it is due to those rates.

Mike

a3x

1. I have 5 mbit connection and not so bad ping on european servers: 40-50 Germany, 60-70 UK, Netherlands.
2. I chose my internet-connection in steam properly. So FFS I CAN’T understand why do i get chokes with cl_updaterate 50.
3. When i lower cl_updaterate value chokes almost disappear, so i don’t think that i have any advantages and something with my hitboxes is wrong when i use default source-engine settings: cl_updaterate 20, cl_cmdrate 30.
4. Kevorkian wrote here: http://etf2l.org/forum/general/topic-954/page-2/
“If I use normal rates (66 update/cmdrate, 20000-30000 rate) the choke keeps jumping between 10-50 if there’s any action, staying at 40ish in a normal fighting situation.
However, if I set my update and cmdrate to 10, I have 0 choke and 0 loss.
I don’t really feel good about using such low rates and most of the servers force the rates higher anyway so that’s not an option.”
So, i think not only both of us have such problems. And i think when we have those chokes in fighting situations other players can’t aim us normally.
5. As a result, i don’t see any reasons to fix those values at “50”. I only want to use DEFAULT source-engine settings.
6. I know – that’s ‘low rating’ as u said, but i haven’t another choise. And now ETF2L config doesn’t allow me to tune my connection properly.

beta

Firstly, where abouts are you from, Germany?

Next, what is your system spec, more specfically RAM, CPU & GFX Card, it sounds like you are are having system related problems not those related to servers or the netcode settings.

Mike

a3x

1. I’m from Ukraine (i know what will u say :D, but i think this isn’t main problem – ping is ok)
2. Core2 Duo E6750 2.66Mhz, 2Gb DDR2-800 Corsair, GTS8800 640Mb. XP SP3.
So my fps rarely drop below 70-80.

beta

Well remember, ping isn’t everything but again if it was connection you would usually get loss more then choke.

Sounds like it could be a combination of either the servers, the connection to the sever on the upstream (when sending data) and of course possibly your gfx card not keeping up.

I would try lowering your gfx settings and see how it goes. Though personally I would still point it at more upstream data loss.

Mike

Gaile

fap

low rates is for lamer.
z_block for tf2!!

Redman350

[FB]

Choke isn’t just affected by your connection, it largely depends on fps.

cl_updaterate 50 means the server is sending you 50 packets/s, and each packet is displayed in one frame. But if your frames are below 50, the server will start holding back packets (choke).

Watch your fps next time you start choking, if it’s below your cl_updaterate then there’s your problem.

a3x

Yeah, I see, Red, but i said that my fps rarely drop below 70-80 and never below 50…

Add A Reply Pages: 1