Forum

rates, cl_interp, interp_ratio....

Created 18th October 2008 @ 19:56

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 7 Next »

Redman350

[FB]

On public i drop my updaterate to about 30, and set my interp as low as i can without getting errors in net_graph 3 (i.e. lerp value isn’t orange).

AnAkkk

When lerp value is orange, it’s fine. It should just not be yellow.

crs

For those strugglin’ with laggy gameplay: Try “67” on cmd- and updaterate. Improved my connection much.

Regards.

Akasazh

THG
HL

What is the problem if the interp occasionally gets into yellow?

crs

I guess you should try different values for cmdrate and updaterate then, since yours don’t fit your connection.

Regards.

strut

-=Crazy=-

I thought you rate should scale to your updates, so 35k might be better for 66/66. If you’re fine on 25k then you get choke it might be too low a rate.

crs

You can’t use 35k rate since 30k is maximum. Most servers have 25k max. though.

Regards.

Iller

tGa

Do you know somewhere I can find information of all this stuff ? (i.e what is choke ? What do all the commands cl_ do ?)

I have a crappy computer where the fps often goes down to 30. Also my internet connection is not very good.
What commands do you recommend to use in this case ?

AnAkkk

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

Iller

tGa

Thanks, much information there.

I am still a bit uncertain what values to choose in my particular case though.
Guess I have to do some trial and error.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

If you are playing scout/sniper or care about your hitscan weapons being perfect:

net_graph 3
look at your ms
match your cl_interp with it
e.g.

net graph ms = 35
cl_interp = 0.035

If you are playing soldier or demo, stick your cl_interp to 0.01 as the hit boxes being slightly off will barely effect the damage (due to splash) and your rockets will appear to move faster which makes it easier to aim.

interp ratio @ 1

And yes, I know there are like, 10 ways to get your ping, and some maybe more accurate than others (ping in console), but I always get perfect hit boxes on any server (including US) by matching it with the net graph ping.

AnAkkk

Interp has NOTHING to do with your ping.
It has to do with your cl_updaterate and your current update rate which depends of the server FPS (tickrate).

vaxjo

Hey dats!

Posted this months ago on a couple of forums but no one had a working solution, maybe you guys could help me.

If I use normal rates (66 update/cmdrate, 20000-30000 rate) the choke keeps jumping between 10-50 if there’s any action, staying at 40ish in a normal fighting situation.
However, if I set my update and cmdrate to 10, I have 0 choke and 0 loss.
I don’t really feel good about using such low rates and most of the servers force the rates higher anyway so that’s not an option.
I tested DOD:S and CS:S and seem to have the same problem in those games too.
HL1 and mods work fine.

I have the right connection setting in the steam options(Cable/Fiber >10M)
Also tested several servers across Europe so I suppose the problem is more on my side.
Pings are perfectly fine.

Just tested this in case it has magically fixed itself but no, the choke is still there. I learned to ignore and at least it’s not as bad as having the same amount of loss it but this topic reminded me of it so anyone got a clue?

Turtles

Okays :)

I got it sorted and I have separate rate setups for matches & pubs.

But how would I be able to bind these separate rates to a key? So when I joined a pub game I wouldn’t have to go into the autoexec and change it from my match rates or whatever?

Can you even do that..?

Qun

GoT<3

cl_interp_ratio simply causes the interpolation delay to be calculated off the clients cl_updaterate (The amount of updates the clients receive per second. This will not exceed the servers sv_maxupdaterate or servers tickrate, which ever is the smaller)

The outcome for this is as follows:

cl_interp_ratio 1.0 cl_updaterate 30 interpolation = 0.033
cl_interp_ratio 1.0 cl_updaterate 35 interpolation = 0.029
cl_interp_ratio 1.0 cl_updaterate 40 interpolation = 0.025
cl_interp_ratio 1.0 cl_updaterate 50 interpolation = 0.020
cl_interp_ratio 1.0 cl_updaterate 60 interpolation = 0.017
cl_interp_ratio 1.0 cl_updaterate 66 interpolation = 0.015
cl_interp_ratio 1.0 cl_updaterate 75 interpolation = 0.013
cl_interp_ratio 1.0 cl_updaterate 80 interpolation = 0.013
cl_interp_ratio 1.0 cl_updaterate 100 interpolation = 0.010

cl_interp_ratio 1.5 cl_updaterate 30 interpolation = 0.050
cl_interp_ratio 1.5 cl_updaterate 35 interpolation = 0.043
cl_interp_ratio 1.5 cl_updaterate 40 interpolation = 0.038
cl_interp_ratio 1.5 cl_updaterate 50 interpolation = 0.030
cl_interp_ratio 1.5 cl_updaterate 60 interpolation = 0.025
cl_interp_ratio 1.5 cl_updaterate 66 interpolation = 0.023
cl_interp_ratio 1.5 cl_updaterate 75 interpolation = 0.020
cl_interp_ratio 1.5 cl_updaterate 80 interpolation = 0.019
cl_interp_ratio 1.5 cl_updaterate 100 interpolation = 0.015

cl_interp_ratio 2.0 cl_updaterate 30 interpolation = 0.067
cl_interp_ratio 2.0 cl_updaterate 35 interpolation = 0.057
cl_interp_ratio 2.0 cl_updaterate 40 interpolation = 0.050
cl_interp_ratio 2.0 cl_updaterate 50 interpolation = 0.040
cl_interp_ratio 2.0 cl_updaterate 60 interpolation = 0.033
cl_interp_ratio 2.0 cl_updaterate 66 interpolation = 0.030
cl_interp_ratio 2.0 cl_updaterate 75 interpolation = 0.027
cl_interp_ratio 2.0 cl_updaterate 80 interpolation = 0.025
cl_interp_ratio 2.0 cl_updaterate 100 interpolation = 0.020

Clients can have higher cl_interp_ratio values to accomodate for packetloss & choke.

There are 2 server side variables that limit how large a clients cl_interp_ratio can be, these are:

“sv_client_min_interp_ratio” = “1” replicated – This can be used to limit the value of cl_interp_ratio for connected clients (only while they are connected). -1 = let clients set cl_interp_ratio to anything any other value = set minimum value for cl_interp_ratio

“sv_client_max_interp_ratio” = “2” replicated – This can be used to limit the value of cl_interp_ratio for connected clients (only while they are connected). If sv_client_min_interp_ratio is -1, then this cvar has no effect.

The bottom line is this: interp is calculated off your updaterate. Change your updaterate and your interp will change, it is as simple as that!

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 7 Next »