Forum

Do you learn anything from playing higher divsion clans

Created 5th January 2009 @ 13:32

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

elma

-HH²-

The reason i ask is we have a few clan members that blow a fuse as soon as it happens bearing in mind that we have not won a clan match . I think its all down to attitude if you think you have lost before you have started then you will never win .

All i can say is if you want to be better who do you play ?

ThePledge

Imo it’s usually better to play a couple of pcw’s every night. 2 or 3 should do it, with the first pcw functioning as warmup and tactics practice. The second are third pcw are, at Fruit, usually used to play against better clans than us, or at least at our skill level.

It helps playing better teams, because you can learn from their strategies, but also because you will feel good if you can actually beat those teams. It usually can give you more confidence to play and win/tie against good clans, than beating clans that are below your own skill level. And I think confidence can be a good thing, whatever class you play.

byte

I dunno i can give you my two cents on this interesting problem/question.

If you want your team to group and play as a team then its better to get a high skilled player to call the shots be a leader as a medic/demo or even soldier… in any match pcw u play.

To get better as a team skill wise the best way to learn is play either

a) clans above you by a little bit so say ur low+ and they’re mid…

or

b) clans fairly above you i.e. mid+ and learn the cruel way but on the long run it ‘s better. Only problem with that is that usually when u lose alot of matches people tend to start losing faith giving up want to leave the clan. If you have a committed bunch then i’d be playing mid+ skilled clans i know we’d lose but u learn alot of deathmatching routines and shows u whats missing and what’s required : >

Hope this helps

Cheers

Byte

Dave

Mafia
wMiC?

YES, you can learn a lot by playing higher skill teams, IF you’re all committed, realise that initially you arn’t going to be a great team, and learn from your mistakes and see what the other team is doing right.

I agree totally that playing against higher teams will help you a lot in your progress. But I also think its important that your members play some pickups by themselves or any place where you can improve your aim. You wont start winning matches before you get decent aim, and no matter how much people say tactics and teamplay is important, improving your teams individual skill is whats gonna help you most in the start. Im not saying you shouldnt make tactics and such, but dont forget that this is a fps game after all.

oh and to answer your question, i think Wlvs system (or whoever he stole it from) is pretty good. if you have 3 games a night, start with someone you expect to beat, then someone youre equal to, and finally someone you probably will lose against. This way you should progress, hopefully.

Anderson

TEZC
TEZC

Its always an idea to catch one of the players from the higher skilled team after the game and ask them for hints/tip/suggestions. 9 times out of 10 they are willing to give some great advice.

Most importantly as raised by Dave and Byte, you cant expect to walk onto a server and win against well seasonsed teams. Take the opportunity to try some new tactics or positions and see if they work, then try playing against someone of your skill level and you should notice some improvements to your teams abillity.

BvD

flowerpower/

Basically what everyone says: Play alot, get alot of experience by playing slightly higher skilled teams. /close thread

Anathema

Since Mafia was desperate to play a match, they asked me to be a scout sub for them once. We played against a mix of TCM/wotr, if I remember correctly. This 1 match has increased my understanding of badlands, scouting, and the game in general, dramatically. This, even though we had next to no communication since the mumble server was messed up.

elma

-HH²-

thanks for the comments

one of the things we have been trying to get people in the clan is to play pickups.

About mental strengh its not always easy to taking a beating but you should always do your best otherwise you will always be a loser ?

any tips your guys could share would be great?

and thanks again :)

elma

-HH²-

one thing i noticed is since i played a bit of badlands on pickups its easyer to play on public

playing against powerful teams is fun, like Revenge vs Ubersexuals at 4th cup on gravel… 2 spy tactics rox, now i play spy much better! :D

numlocked

(king of all rollouts)
Epsilon

in my opinion it helps loads. ive played tf2 for 3months now i think, and look where i am already :D ive learnt this game really fast due to playing with/against some of the best teams and players in europe :)

Dave

Mafia
wMiC?

“in my opinion it helps loads. ive played tf2 for 3months now i think, and look where i am already’

div 3 ?

Wlv

RaWr ::

As byte has said, get one caller who’s quite dominant on comms and knows a bit about the game and the real basics of when to push and fall back (watch stvs if you don’t understand that bit).

Personally I’ve always believed that if you’re capable of playing 2 or 3 pcws a night, first one as easy or equal to you as a warm up, 2nd one someone to be a bit (1 div) higher than you and the final game to be v.hard.

Watch the STV’s of the game and find out where things go wrong and why your tactics didn’t work and also compare your tactics to other teams. When TLR first formed out (agggeeesss ago now) we just pcw’d as much as possible and worked on tactics and teamwork at quite a slow pace.

Don’t expect every thing to work straight away, you will get lots of mixed results, one night you’ll rape a good team and the next night be split open by a bad one, either way, highlight what went wrong, what went right, stay positive and make sure you let people they did well some times and enjoy every game..

Infact I’d say those latter two points are vital as if someone gets a constant stream of negativity and bad atmosphere they will leave the team.

Excuse my rambo :D, the motto: pcw lots, take your time, enjoy your games.

By looking at your rooster I’d say you should split up your team in 2 or maybe 3 teams.
You seem to have way too many players. 6-8 players on each team is much better, you’ll never learn to play together with so many players.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »