Forum

How to punish the droppers?

Created 25th October 2010 @ 13:53

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Monkeh

[…]

But….but…how does the fact that someone, (let’s say lolage for fun!), leaves DAKKA in a fit of ragey pique and get’s himself a 4 week ban on joining a team. You go out and recruit a new demo, (as you would have done anyway!), and carry on. The rest of your team isn’t punished in any way at all! If you couldn’t replace him, (and I mean seriously, how would that even be possible! It’s hard to replace a Lollllagggggeeeeee :) ), then you’d have to fold anyway! Not sure I get what you’re driving at Eledorian.

Granted you need to recruit someone and that may be a bit more tricky with some cooling off periods being handed out, but I’m sure you’d manage to find someone who hadn’t recently left a team.

Sure I could find someone, and then they leave after 2 weeks aswell. Problem isn’t finding someone, if Lolage leaves I could probably fetch us a demo within a week. But I want someone stable who fits in the team, this takes longer than a week.

Say a team folds for whatever reason, 4 people are left in it who can’t find a replacement who fits with them. Should they now be punished when they leave the team to go their seperate ways by a 2 week/4 week “cooling off” period before they can join a new team?

That 2 week cooling off period can also hamper recruiting people, people often leave teams for reasons that don’t damage the team or the season, should these people be punished because they want to play with someone else, effectively being removed from the recruiting pool? Do you force someone to be clanless for 2 weeks because of something that doesn’t cause anyone any harm/inconveniance or for something thats out of their control?

Quoted from Tikcus

[…]
All teams should have a minimum roster of 8 players

Very much against this aswell, if I can find 6 people who are always available and we don’t fold then why the hell should we drag 2 other guys along for the ride who are not needed? 6 is good enough minimum, raising it to 8 does not solve anything.

Last edited by herpderp,

Monkeh

.:ne:.

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

With this in mind, how does this apply for instance Huhy? Left Crack Clan for personal reasons, but Crack Clan doesn’t fold nor did Huhy do anything that even remotely negative to other teams. Yet with your proposal, he would be banned from joining another team for a month.

Hmmmm again, good question. Like I said above, maybe better minds than mine are required to take this idea forward.

Some kind of ‘Mutual termination button’ that a clan leader can click to signify all is well and, maybe a 1 week cooling off period instead?

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Monkeh

[…]
Some kind of ‘Mutual termination button’ that a clan leader can click to signify all is well and, maybe a 1 week cooling off period instead?

Scrap the cooling off period all together, it’s not going to stop teams folding and will probably do more damage than good.

Tikcus

Quoted from herpderp

[…]

Sure I could find someone, and then they leave after 2 weeks aswell. Problem isn’t finding someone, if Lolage leaves I could probably fetch us a demo within a week. But I want someone stable who fits in the team, this takes longer than a week.

Teams should be stable before the enter a league, not trying to find it mid season.
A season is only 10 weeks, most people should know if their schedule will allow them to play, and inform their team leader before season starts, a team leader should make sure everyone in his team are committed to playing the season, and if their is any doubt should make sure a backup/replacement is already in the roster

Say a team folds for whatever reason, 4 people are left in it who can’t find a replacement who fits with them. Should they now be punished when they leave the team to go their seperate ways by a 2 week/4 week “cooling off” period before they can join a new team?

if 4 people are left, they should find 2 people and complete the season, whether they fit in or not, if they choose to fold, it’s only right that they can not join another team for 2-4 weeks

That 2 week cooling off period can also hamper recruiting people, people often leave teams for reasons that don’t damage the team or the season, should these people be punished because they want to play with someone else, effectively being removed from the recruiting pool? Do you force someone to be clanless for 2 weeks because of something that doesn’t cause anyone any harm/inconveniance or for something thats out of their control?

Yes, they should sort out what they want to do before the start of a season

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Tikcus

[…]

Teams should be stable before the enter a league, not trying to find it mid season.
A season is only 10 weeks, most people should know if their schedule will allow them to play, and inform their team leader before season starts, a team leader should make sure everyone in his team are committed to playing the season, and if their is any doubt should make sure a backup/replacement is already in the roster

In a perfect world where everyone can plan 10 weeks ahead with absolute certainty of their schedule this would work. Problem is that shit happens, and no amount of punishment will stop that shit from happening and cause problems to TF2 teams.

if 4 people are left, they should find 2 people and complete the season, whether they fit in or not, if they choose to fold, it’s only right that they can not join another team for 2-4 weeks

Yeah because forcing 4 people to do something that they would rather not is in the best intrest of the league.

Yes, they should sort out what they want to do before the start of a season

Yeah because situations never change, every viewpoint always stay the same and you will not ever possibly make the wrong choice ever….

All this cooling period will do is cause headaches for people who do not deserve it. People leave teams and join teams all the time for various reasons. No punishment will stop that, or make a season suddenly go smooth.

Monkeh

Quoted from herpderp

This is true wether lolage gets a cool period or not!

Quoted from herpderp

This is exactly what I want to promote, they’ll try harder to recruit rather than face the cool down period. You could argue that they shouldn’t have signed up to the season if they are that delicate as a team and so yeah, sod ’em, have a cool down and think about your who’s in your next team for a bit longer

Quoted from herpderp

Maybe they should have trialled a bit longer before they actually joined the team. Play PCW’s, build bonds, join team on etf2l, profit.

Quoted from Monkeh

[…]

This is exactly what I want to promote, they’ll try harder to recruit rather than face the cool down period. You could argue that they shouldn’t have signed up to the season if they are that delicate as a team and so yeah, sod ’em, have a cool down and think about your who’s in your next team for a bit longer

[…]

Maybe they should have trialled a bit longer before they actually joined the team. Play PCW’s, build bonds, join team on etf2l, profit.

Sorry, but the shortsightedness in this post is astounding. There’s far more factors than just “should’ve trialled longer” when joining/leaving a team. Recruiting people isn’t easy either, and you’re severely underestimating the effect of prolonged trialling on the team’s morale.

A great example of this is the late Paroxysm II. Very stable, until they had to recruit a new Medic. First came Voiz, who got along well with the team. Voiz went inactive due to unexpected real life issues, and they had to recruit a new Medic. After a while trialling, they got Flushy. He had to go inactive due to real life as well. They then spent weeks trialling and re-trialling to find that Medic that fits with them, but he simply didn’t exist (if he did, he didn’t show himself). In the end the constant switching of Medics every night due to trials simply destroyed their morale and they called it quits.

According to your posts, they should’ve tried harder to recruit? They should be unable to join a new team for a certain amount of time because they got screwed over by something completely out of their control?

And what about people who trial with a team, join and 3 weeks later get told that half the team doesn’t want to go on and thus the team folds without him having any indication that the team was on the verge of folding? He would get punished for getting screwed over by his team. How is that fair? Or people who join a team to help them out for a while?

There are simply too many downsides to your proposal.

Last edited by Buffalo Bill,

Ghent

Team

Shit happens, live with it.

Monkeh

Fair enough Bill, I’m just trying to open the debate and find a solution. Yes I know it’s been tried before with no success but surely something can be thought of by someone somewhere that encourages teams to stay together and not drop mid season.

Shit does indeed happen, doesn’t mean you gotta put up with it tho’!

Tikcus

Regardless of all this, teams and players should MAN UP, and complete what they have signed up to do. Yes there are special exceptions, but a vast majority of the teams drop through lack of man parts after they lose their first few games.

Recruiting a member after one shits on you is not easy mid season, but you should still complete your games, even if it means losing them

Special exceptions could be made under certain circumstances, someone dies etc, with extra time giving to play games, or admins allowing a merc.

Go back to

Locked rosters for people playing in the league with a transfer window after week 4 has been completed, new unsigned players could still be recruited. but It would stop players moving for the Bigger Better Deal, wrecking a clan

infussle

dont add a rule which applys to every team, just judge them on an individual basis. Give the admin team something to do!

Monkeh

Roster lock and transfer window anybody? Nice Tik :)

droso

o/

This thread is one of the dumbest i’ve ever read on ETF2L.

Quoted from Ghent

Shit happens, live with it.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from infussle

dont add a rule which applys to every team, just judge them on an individual basis. Give the admin team something to do!

Yeah because they get paid for it and have nothing else to do anyway, right?

Netsky

letterbombs.

I would even pay & lick the stamps.

Last edited by Netsky,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »