Forum

ETF2L Tournament Ruling Question.

Created 11th September 2010 @ 21:48

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Edgar7

As the ruling stands now for the ladder match, a European team does not have to play a game on an American team’s server if they don’t want to. Fair enough, its the European League after all.

My question is, will this apply in the tournament as well? I understand that this the Euro League and all. But this tournament, with the backing of Valve, and its involvement, has a MUCH larger involvement of American teams as well as other places. It seems like a international game wide event. The ruling doesn’t fit in this context. A large percentage of teams are facing disadvantage in the tournaments.

You are holding a tournament that Valve is recognizing and supporting and encouraging every TF2 player to play, and the ruling currently favors European players. The tournament is expected to continue this way? It isn’t very tournament like, I thought it was about skill and competition, but when your playing a European team, and you have not 2x, 3x, but 10 fold higher ping than them, its not longer a tournament or competition, its just a slaughter/auto win/lose.

I suggest a alternation ruling, where after each map, the server is switched over to the other teams and again until the match is done. Who goes first is one thing to be sorted, and even if it were defaulted to European, that would be fine. But 3 matches in a row on a European server ruins the tournament balance of the whole thing.

I’m not here to whine or be smart and snarky. I’m just voicing a serious issue we American teams are facing. As it stands, it seems like a European team is going to win the tournament, no questions.

I’d guess the admins will divide american teams in their own divisions, and probably make the play-off brackets so that teams from different continents don’t face each other that much. Just a guess ofc, but I think that’d make the most sense.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Yep i’d say it would make alot of sense to be more fair, mroe fun and less rage/whine if the initial groups were split into continents tbh

Edgar7

Yeah I hear that’s how it is initially going to go? But what happens when we reach the final matches and there are American vs Europe teams? That is where we run into the problem.

Waster

But it is an european tournament. Its like the result is more important then the fun you have in the match. Rules are quiet clear and the americans agreed in the rules they are playing on european servers.

Edgar7

The thing is, do the ladder rules apply to the tournament?

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

Yes the tournament has basically been split as much as possible to separate sections for the major timezones (hence why it’s taken so long, especially with the teams with people from all over the world on them). There will come a time when you’ll face european opponents, but hopefully people will be reasonable and the games will be arranged at a time that is at least feasible for both teams.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from Edgar7

The thing is, do the ladder rules apply to the tournament?

Im sure the tournament will have different rules to teh ladder as they are 2 different types of competition :p.
Im sure most euro highlander clans will be accomodating in terms of what time to play etc i.e say 8gmt on a sunday? Good for yanks also probably. But when it comes down to servers you can’t compramise tbh so you’ll have to play on euro servers!

ashkan

The rule about Europeans being able to demand a Europeans server goes for the tournament as well.

Valve knew that it was a European tournament when they promoted it. All teams knew it was a European tournament when they signed up.

CommFT is planning on having an American highlander tournament anyway, so I would recommend you guys to help make that happen.

Edgar7

But we don’t get 1st places medals for winning that one so who cares? :D

Quoted from Edgar7

Why not, they’ll most likely contact valve about it aswell.

Last edited by Sturmis,

Extremer

Quoted from Edgar7

They can easily contact Valve and ask them about promoting it. That’s what ETF2L did.

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Besides, Im sure alot of team are willing to discuss about what server to use. The rules are there to enforce disputes, in case noone wants to back down in an arguement.

Tikcus

Quoted from Andee

Besides, Im sure alot of team are willing to discuss about what server to use. The rules are there to enforce disputes, in case noone wants to back down in an arguement.

^this

Also their are alot of euro/uk clans out there that would let you use their servers, so if a USA clan plays a Russian clan etc, the game could be played on a uk server, 120 pings all round then

Azdean

WTH!?

Quoted from Edgar7

If that’s your attitude gtfo imo. Just sayin. x

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »