Forum

I46 feedback thread

Created 1st September 2012 @ 08:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Linus

[d¿s]

i highly doubt highlander at lan would get any bigger than what we have already seen at i46. the fact is that you need to bring 9 people to the same location – which already is a big challenge – not to mention that with unlike the top 6v6 teams that usually dominate lan, theres zero sponsorship for hl teams.

Last edited by Linus,

Quoted from Tapley ❤

ETF2l admins and the KK guys were consulted about maps and unlocks, apparntly steel was thought of as a great HL map.

Quoted from Jazz

Steel really isn’t a highlander map and well just I think the map pool and white list were rushed

I collabed with ashkan as a ugc admin to make a decent map pool for the event that I sent your way – we specifically said that you should be careful of using steel. Although I’d say it’s a highlander map, I think it’d need more play to be a legitimate choice for a lan tournament. Not only this but the map also isn’t a very ‘fun’ choice especially for 6v6 mixes, and even if the map is a good competitive map, you’re marketing this as a funcup.

Quoted from Tapley ❤

I’ll admit not as much effort was put into Highlander as it was classed as fun cup and having to work 14 hour days really saps your ability to be as responsive as possible :].

that doesn’t account for the bad preparation for the tournament however – you had to ask me for a whitelist 40 minutes before it started (and 10 minutes after the original planned time to start) because you hadn’t prepared one

Quoted from Tapley ❤

The thing is no actual highlander teams attended (except maybe kritzkast), they were just a mix of random lan players, when actual highlander teams start to show interest and attend this will help us with a case to start getting some prize money for it.

AfterDark (second place) also entered their highlander team

Quoted from Jazz

I think my biggest complaint is how Highlander is still thought of as a fun cup and a drop out cup. Highlander is on the rise and I would like to see a small prize pool for it like £100. I would also like to say that the map pool was average at best.

I’d say making highlander a ‘pay to play’ tournament with a VERY minimal ‘buy-in’ (ie: £1 per player for a beer-fund prize) would make the tournament a bit more competitive without digging into the cashprize for 6v6. (This being said by someone who doesn’t play 6v6 – You still have to understand the importance of a decent show of the 6v6 at lan to sponsors etc, and the case for arguing otherwise is hard to push when there’s not many real sponsors for highlander at the moment…if highlander starts picking up sponsors I can understand the counter-argument)

I really have no issue with the way the tournament is set up currently with people dropping into the highlander, and unless highlander teams that actually have good enough 6v6 players who stand a chance of making it past group stages (IE: SNSD) start entering, or good 6v6 players start complaining about not being able to enter the highlander (which for one I imagine they won’t, and for two I imagine there wouldn’t be a workaround for given the time-schedule of lan), I don’t see reason for change, even if it can be seen as somewhat degrading for the highlander guys

Last edited by lawn,

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

If MPUK can’t offer any money what about £1 from HL player into a pot (teams that dont want to donate dont win the prize) and the winner takes home 75% of the pot and second 25%?

£1 is very little to 1 player, but to a team it could result in over £100 being won, would that wet more appetites to compete?

beach

[DA]
[DA]

We were very unhappy about playing steel, but then it grew on us and is now one of my favourite highlander maps :D

(might’ve had something to do with beating KK and d-d-Did I Finnish? on it though…)…

I think we all agreed steel was probably the most exciting map we played, can get very tense and fast-paced at times! :)

Also if the HL tourney was a bit bigger it might motivate some more teams to attend…AD are a pretty established highlander team, but some of our players didn’t attend, I think if the tourney was a bit bigger they might’ve wanted to come a bit more.. :)

Last edited by beach,

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from Tapley ❤

If MPUK can’t offer any money what about £1 from HL player into a pot (teams that dont want to donate dont win the prize) and the winner takes home 75% of the pot and second 25%?

£1 is very little to 1 player, but to a team it could result in over £100 being won, would that wet more appetites to compete?

Sounds good. Also steel is not a BAD highlander map, but there are better maps around to play (I personally like Foundry a lot)

Quoted from Permzilla

[…]

Sounds good. Also steel is not a BAD highlander map, but there are better maps around to play (I personally like Foundry a lot)

I personally don’t, but can understand it’s place at a lan, which is a lot more than can be said about steel (opinions here of course!)

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

That’s fine, if playing steel is a big problem removing it is easy, just wanted to keep it to standard non custom maps so people dont spend ages downloading. We’ll do a review of maps and rules before lan next time to confirm its all gravy.

Saying people would attend lan for HL if it is “bigger” is a catch 22 situation ;). If they want it to be bigger turn up! Support your game! The HL community need to help me hype this, get teams involved, spam ugc, spam reddit, we need to make mpuk sit up and take notice, like 6v6 did when it was a fun tournament.
For those saying it wasn’t big enough, what did you do to make it bigger?

That being said though there were over 100 people that did play in the HL team and i’ll be doing my best to get some sort of improvement on any prize fund for next spring/summer.

Last edited by Tapley ❤,

Quoted from Tapley ❤

That being said though there were over 100 people that did play in the HL team and i’ll be doing my best to get some sort of improvement on any prize fund for next spring/summer.

besides the poor prep work, which can mostly be put down to not having a dedicated highlander admin and (I assume) not knowing who to ask about maps etc, I’d say the tournament went very well and the turnout was pretty damn good.

I know a lot of people didn’t really hear about the highlander too much until they were at the event too though – so advertising it (even if as a fun tournament) a bit more might help!

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from lawn

[…]

besides the poor prep work, which can mostly be put down to not having a dedicated highlander admin and (I assume) not knowing who to ask about maps etc, I’d say the tournament went very well and the turnout was pretty damn good.

I know a lot of people didn’t really hear about the highlander too much until they were at the event too though – so advertising it (even if as a fun tournament) a bit more might help!

Our original highlander whitelist was working fine until the clanforge config system started to mess things up unfortuantely, after chasing up hire companys for the americans pc’s at the start of lan, trying to get 6v6 sorted, it was a lower priority but in an ideal work yep it should have been sorted from the start.

Why didnt you try advertising the tournament? It was advertised on here, multiplay forums, reddit, UGC forum, various UK clan websites, even a front page post on the multiplay’s website with ruskeydoo’s medals as the prize. As i say, HL players/teams need to put the effort in if they want this to be big, they need to hype other teams and get people involved. All i’m doing is trying to get HL established at lan taking it a step at a time.
If you guys are really passionate about making HL a success then you need to put the work in as well, there is only so much the lan tournament admins can do.

Black_Bob

[DA]

I remember back @ I36 and I37 the tf2 6 vs 6 was just a fun cup but both events were excellent and had a great time, so highlander may take a little while to get some momentum building up behind it.

One thing that would help a lot is allowing people to enter the highlander completion before the lan starts like 6 vs 6, having the highlander tournament entries unavailable in the fun cup section until the lan had begun is a nightmare for some more organised people who will only attend if they have a team, also casual gamers just browsing what tournaments/events they would like to take part in could not see the highlander since it did not exist until Friday evening.

But the highlander tournament was the highlight of I46 for me and now I feel guilty since I didn’t buy tapley or firestorm a pint :S

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Quoted from Linus

i highly doubt highlander at lan would get any bigger than what we have already seen at i46. the fact is that you need to bring 9 people to the same location – which already is a big challenge

Pretty much this imo. I’ve enjoyed highlander at iseries but I really wouldn’t want it detracting from the main 6v6, as we have enough trouble trying to be taken seriously without pulling half the teams that enter. Getting 9 is crazy, given the troubles some people have with 6.

A buy in seems “ok” but then again, I could spend that pound doubling up my vodka instead of losing some HL :> An entry fee is a bit detering for me though, depends who i’d be playing with. It’s not necessarily the price, but my own brain going ‘WHY ARE YOU PAYING TO LOSE LOL IDIOT’ (this is what happens when you’re raised in the north) – probably the fact you’re not even guaranteed a good game ;x I don’t want that to put off community teams or people banding together from other games who are really casual about it.

Also, steel was awesome. Foundry is great for HL too (and viaduct), the long-ass payloads are what do my nut in – some of them really shouldn’t be BO3.

Last edited by Nymthae,

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from Nymthae

[…]

Pretty much this imo. I’ve enjoyed highlander at iseries but I really wouldn’t want it detracting from the main 6v6, as we have enough trouble trying to be taken seriously without pulling half the teams that enter. Getting 9 is crazy, given the troubles some people have with 6.

A buy in seems “ok” but then again, I could spend that pound doubling up my vodka instead of losing some HL :> An entry fee is a bit detering for me though, depends who i’d be playing with. It’s not necessarily the price, but my own brain going ‘WHY ARE YOU PAYING TO LOSE LOL IDIOT’ (this is what happens when you’re raised in the north) – probably the fact you’re not even guaranteed a good game ;x I don’t want that to put off community teams or people banding together from other games who are really casual about it.

Also, steel was awesome. Foundry is great for HL too (and viaduct), the long-ass payloads are what do my nut in – some of them really shouldn’t be BO3.

As i said earlier the teams that don’t put in a pound each dont get any of the prize pot if they come first or second so s’all gravy. End of the day, if HL teams wont attend and make the effort and its just mixes of random teams theres only so big the lan HL event can become.

Comedian

after casting that final, i never want to see barnblitz ever again

Miek

prfsnlgmr

I’d really like to see the tournaments be a bit more inclusive for the lower teams.

I understand that the groups need to be setup the way they are to prevent silly matches in the later stages. However, it means that every group tends to end up with 1 team getting steamrolled in every game.

I don’t know how feasible it is, but could there be some extra games between the losers from each group? I think it would be worth it to give some good games to everyone who made an effort to enter.

Black_Bob

[DA]

Quoted from Comedian

after casting that final, i never want to see barnblitz ever again

Now im gutted we didnt take it to a third round!!! Cant wait to see the vods :D

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »