Forum

The story behind the FaN (old but true)

Created 15th December 2009 @ 21:00

Locked Pages: 1 2 Next »

Qun

GoT<3

So, this is an article I posted on the TF2 beta forums just before the start of season 6. It’s written by RaCio. It’s kinda outdated, but the facts are still here.

I thinks it’s time to re-discuss the FaN after a season playing with it.

For quite some time discussions about the FaN have been going on on various forums. A part of the community would even like to see the FaN banned from competitions. Since etf2l’s season 6 will start soon (28th of September) the admins wrote a poll asking the opinion from players about whether the FaN should be banned or not.
http://etf2l.org/2009/09/09/mapping-contest-final-standings-season-6-status-polls/
Currently it’s about 50/50. The admins will not necessarily choose the rule with the most votes. But regardless of what they choose, one group will end up unpleased.

Personally, I don’t think the FaN should be banned since it does not really affect the core 6v6 mechanics in a negative way (like stunning ubers did). And I would hate to see the unlock banned since I like the diversity that the unlocks are adding. That said, I do think there are some balance problems with the weapon as well as some mechanics that aren’t optimal. Getting a fix for those will give the FaN the green light while also satisfying the group that wanted to see it banned.

Because little was known about the actual mechanics of the FaN after it was updated I decided to run some tests to see how the mechanics work. The most important things I found are:

– The knockback effect itself is only applied within a certain range. Ingame the range would be a crate on granary(from one model standing on it to another).

– The knockback effect trows the target up vertically into the air for a few feet. This is unaffected by the amount of pellets that hit the target.

– Hitting a target with more pellets will push the target further away horizontally.

This is pretty much in line with the update notes from august 13 except for the last part:

The Force of Nature
– The enemy knockback now only works in close range and behaves more like the Pyro’s air blast
– Enemies cannot be juggled by the FaN’s effect
– The self-knockback has also changed to respect the firer’s view angle. Looking up while shooting will no longer propel the enemy upwards
– Knockback is now scaled by damage done

Doing more damage does result in pushing the target back for a few feet however it seems the important vertical knockback is mostly unaffected by the amount of pellets that hit a target.
In battles the horizontal knockback is hardly important since you want the target to be up close for your finishing shot.
The vertical knockback however is the same regardless of the amount of pellets hit, so you can hit 1 pellet and fully throw the opponent into the air. Once a player is thrown into the air it’s very easy for a skilled player to run towards the target and do a full damaging shot. This results in guaranteed kill in most situations.
So with the current mechanics shooting besides the target can knock the target up and set you up for the kill. However if you do a full hit you can risk shooting the target away from you, which can be counterproductive since you want to be up close for your finishing shot.
So the current mechanics certainly do not have a practical form of scaling.

A reason why I think a lot of players end up hating the FaN is that the easier 2shotting combined with the high firerate can leave players wondering what they could have done differently to survive. Due to the fast firerate of the FaN the chances of a scattergun scout battling close combat against a FaN are dependent on the other scout missing.
The tf2.com blog talked about this issue once:

Even worse was dying to someone who you couldn’t have engaged with, even if you chose to. In that case, you’re very unlikely to believe you could have done anything differently to survive.

So it’s safe to say the FaN does not exactly work like the patch notes say it should. Combined with the other characeristics of the Fan this has led to widespread hate against the FaN. So some changes for the weapon would be a great thing. However the FaN is not exactly used by a majority of scouts, so the changes should not make the FaN any more useless.

Some suggested fixes that could work (combined):

– Apply the knockback effect only on the accurate bullet that follows the crosshair.

– Slowing down the firerate of the FaN and decreasing the reload time to compensate for loss of damage output.

– Scaled knockback depending on distance?

– (Renegade26) Reducing the damage in order to reduce the effective 2shot range, reducing reload time to compensate for the damage output.

One idea is to change the knockback effect so it’s only applied with the bullet that goes straight over the crosshair. This would basically mean that knockback is only applied when aiming at the target. In comparison to the current mechanic the only thing that will change is that it wont be possible to knock people into the air when you didnt aim at them.
This is also much more favorable then making knockback dependent on damage/pellets hit. It is much more reliable and more consistent because pellets have the random spread.

Another adjustment that might work is to make the firing speed of the FaN match that of the scattergun. And the reload time would be decreased in order to make sure the overall damage output remains roughly the same. According to tf2wiki’s stats this would mean that the fan’s speed would go up by 0.3 to 0.6 and the reloadtime would also go down by 0.3 making it about the same as the pistols reload time.
It could solve the frustration that the weapon causes while still keeping the power it has in 1v1 fights. And since most scouts dont always utilize the full firing speed it wont be that much of a nerf.

I think it would be great if we could come up with some adjustments to the FaN and get it tested in the beta. It would be awesome if we could see a fully balanced FaN widely used in etf2l season 6.

exm

I like the ideas in the end. Also, a couple of mine:
-reducing damage to airborn enemies;
-reducing the knockback to about… 0? when the enemy is airborn?

Qun

GoT<3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9Mbw_wwUY

BERSERKER

broder
PRO

I will also add points by quoting myself from a Resupply.eu debate (Warning: TL;DR inc):

FAN
Attack interval: 0.33
Reload: 1.64
Point-blank damage: 113

Scattergun
Attack interval: 0.64
Reload: 0.76
Point-blank damage: 103

The FAN is not an alternative to the Scattergun. It’s a weapon that excels in certain situations. The drawback of the FAN isn’t really just the reload, as during long fights where Scattergun scouts fire more than 6 shots, the downtime of both the FAN and scattergun scouts will be roughly the same (as the reload ratio is (2*0.76 = 1.52 sec for 2 scattergun shots reloaded, so 1.52/1.64) 0.93. There is some vulnerability associated with the fact that while reloaded you are not a threat and thus allowing people ~1.5 sec window to attack you, however this can also be considered a benefit as you can hide for this period of time while recuperating and then unleash an additional burst. One of the drawbacks is limited movement during some instances, where you can’t attack while dropping or jumping (for instance jumping onto/around train on badlands mid, or jumping to spire) as it would remove you from reaching your destination and make you exceedingly easy to hit. It makes up for these circumstancial drawbacks by granting killingpower, however, I believe that the form in which this killingpower is given is too severe, as it just lowers the requirement for achieving the same result as a good scattergun scout (and if a good scout uses it it’s more consistent) and also allowing a scout to employ clever tactics to gain an edge (both through hit-and-run and through movement techniques allowed by the FAN jump), so it adds to survivability and an element of surprise at times when you come from unexpected angles.

But including this, and in addition, there are times when on paper the FAN is just too superior to a scattergun scout, and while I’ll present ideal scenarios for the purpose of eliminating variables in order to prove a point, I’ll also present additional factors present in more realistic scenarios. It could maybe also be worth noting that due to the nature of shotgun spread, the FAN has, probabilistically, higher damage at any range. This is because the spread is the same, yet it has one additional pellet, and so one missed pellet for FAN and one for scatter, the FAN will still have greater damage, as the spread is exactly the same within the exact same area, but it has one more pellet that hits inside that area.

Scenario 1
If you have two scouts of perfect skill, scout A with FAN and scout B with Scattergun crossing a corner facing each other. Both see each other at the exact same time and fire at the exact same time. Scout B will be sent airborne, into an easy arc (or just lifted straight up from the ground). Scout A will then have 0.31 seconds where Scout B can do nothing to harm Scout A, while Scout A has the potential to fire a 113 damage shot at Scout B. In this ideal situation, obviously Scout A will never stand a chance nor gain an opportunity to kill Scout A.

More realistically, the only thing Scout B can do is use his double-jump instantly after being shot and hope Scout A misses. This is more or less the only difference – whether Scout B lives or dies depends entirely upon Scout A’s ability and not on Scout B. If Scout A misses, Scout B will live, if he doesn’t, he will not.
From experience I can add the double-jump trick generally does not work very well, and from a mere numerical point of view, assuming ordinary human reaction speed of 0.2 sec and FAN firing rate of 0.33, the mid-air scout will have about 0.12 sec of double-jump before the FAN scout can fire again, which is not enough to disappear from harm’s way, and then again, it also just depends on the ability of the scout even if it was.
Additional factors in a realistic situation is that while mid-air, scout B will have to adjust his aim to compensate for the knockback, and will be unable to dodge or do ‘trick’ maneuvers to outwit his opponent, whereas Scout A can still dodge just as effectively, and does not need to compensate, and therefore hold most of the advantages. Additionally, it is more difficult for Scout B to chase A, as it will take some milliseconds before he lands, and he will then also have to accelerate in order to attain B’s speed if he already begins retreating after delivering his load.

Scenario 2
Imagine the two same scouts, A and B. Scout A, with FAN, is standing still facing away from B. B sneaks up on A, and fires once in his back, delivering a meatshot. Assuming ordinary human reaction speed to be ~0.2 sec, A will take 0.2 sec to react and turn around and fire at scout B, there will be 0.76-0.2=0.56 sec left before B’s scattergun is cooled down and he can fire again, whereas A’s cooldown from this instant will only be 0.33 sec, meaning he has a 0.56-0.33=0.23 sec lead where A again holds all the power. This number is somewhat misleading, as he will most likely use some milliseconds more to orient himself and aim after turning, so for the sake of the argument let us say a 0.08 sec advantage remains (as I provided a generous 0.15 sec time for turning and aiming after detecting danger).

More realistically, after A has reacted, the tide is turned instantly with A holding all the advantages. However, it is not a fair assumption to make that A would instantly meatshot B, but as long as he graces him with ~40 damage shot, which is fairly reasonable as it is only about 35% of the max damage and assuming the scout is of decent skill, scout B will become airborne and thus the same situation as in Scenario 1 applies, where scout B’s survival depends on A’s performance and only on A’s performance. The second shot only needs be 85 damage, which is fairly reasonable for a close-range FAN second shot at an airborne target. In this situation, there is very little B can do even if he gets the first shot in.

My point is just that while I do enjoy new tactics/weapons being added for the game, I also think that everyone who played it before enjoyed it a lot before FAN was added, whereas some do not enjoy it nearly as much with FAN added (roughly about half the community preferred the game without it, from the given poll, and I think adding something when half of the community does not like the addition, and the other hand obviously liked the game before the addition is a bit lollerskates), as I do think some of its strengths are too exaggerated. I do not enjoy playing with or against it; I don’t mind when people do, as it is allowed by the rules and that is perfectly okay.

In order to also illustrate that during any fight where the Scattergun scout has to fire more than 6 shots and reload, the damage output is similar, or depending on the duration, favoring FAN in long fights. This can be seen from the trend that obviously DPS decreases over time, but this hits the scattergun user significantly more, PARTICULARLY if he fires in-between reloading shots and does not fully exploit the feature of an initial reload time (0.76) and then additional reload (0.56).

SCATTER
Assumed damage per shot: 104
Max DPS after 10 seconds (12 shots): 124.8
6 shots – 3.2 (only 5 attack intervals counted due to first being instant, attack interval 0.64)
Full reload – 3.56 (total: 6.76)
6 shots – 3.2 (total: 10.6)

FAN
Assumed damage per shot: 113
Max DPS after 10 seconds (11 shots): 124.3
2 shots – 0.33
Full reload – 1.64
Fire + reload = 0.33 + 1.64 = 1.97 10/5 = 2, so we can multiply this by 5, and then have 0.15 secs unaccounted for, which is time for an additional shot fired, so total shots fired is 11: 11*113/10=124.3

After 15 seconds.

SCATTER
4.6-3.56 (as previous calculation of 10 secs had a surplus of 0.6 sec)
1.44=2 shots
2*104=208
Damage at 10 seconds + Damage 5 seconds after / total time = Total DPS after 15 secs
1248 + 208 / 15 = 97.1

FAN
Firing an additional shot leaves us at
5-0.18=4.82
Reload fully = 4.82-1.64=3.18
Fire + reload = 3.18-1.97 = 1.21
2 more shots = 1.21-0.33
Then 0.88 of reload.
Total no. of shots: 5
Damage at 10 sec + damage 5 sec after / total time = total DPS
1243 + 565 / 15 = 120.5 DPS

After 20 seconds

SCATTER
5-0.24=4.76 for 4 more shots
4.76-4*0.64=2.2
Damage done in this period = 4*104=416
Then enough time to reload 4 shots (out of 6).
Damage done at 15 sec period + Damage 5 sec after / total time = Total DPS after 20 secs
1456 + 416 / 20 = 93.6 damage per second

FAN
5-0.76=4.24
2x Fire + reload = 4.24-2(1.97)=0.3
So time for one additional shot
Total shots: 5
Damage at 15 sec + damage 5 sec after / total time = total DPS
1808 + 565 = 118.6 DPS

However, it should also be added that this assumes the Scattergun scout FULLY reloads his clip before firing again, as the first reload is 0.76 sec whereas every additional reload is only 0.56, and that realistically most scouts do not run behind train on badlands mid and fully reload before going out again, while FAN scouts will provide constant damage.

In closing, one could say that the ‘scenarios’ presented aren’t realistic. While I can agree they are not realistic for the majority of a 6v6 match, I do believe scout vs. scout encounters in 6v6 WHERE A KILL IS MADE can largely be generalized into this format, where the scattergun scout will be at the mercy of the FAN scout’s ability to hit an airborne target. The FAN’s largest weakness is that you during the time it takes to fire 6 scattergun shots, the FAN will not have done an equal amount of damage, as can be seen from this:

In 3.2 secs a scattergun scout has fired 6 shots, whereas a FAN scout will have fired 4.
6*103=618
4*113=452
This is obviously the FAN’s greatest weakness, but the conditions for this weakness to be exploited would be placing 2 scouts at mid range, with no objects to hide behind and no option to retreat. Generally in TF2, when two enemies are at mid-range from one another they will have viable escape routes and burst-damage isn’t severe enough to kill a fleeing enemy fast enough, and so there are not that many situations where this will be open to exploitation, as most scout v. scout kills happen mid-close range, and not from, say, peeking from badlands house to resup just shooting back and forth.

This is my opinion on the matter.

However. To add to the discussion of fixes, I reckon it’s the knockback in conjunction with rate of fire and its damage that makes it so powerful, instead of just a single perk. The knockback could stay, but only if the rate of fire was lowered, as the knockback makes it easier to hit, but I think ‘easier to hit’ ALONG with ‘fires faster’ is a bit of a stretch. I think it’s fine to add a weapon that’s an alternative to those who cannot aim as well, but it should not be potentially stronger than it, either, but allow different options of approach, such as the FAN jump, allowing a variety of unexpected attack angles.

But I do think the damage and rate of fire is more difficult to balance, particularly the latter, as it will still end up with a situation such as in my analysis, where an outcome depends (almost) entirely on the other player’s ability, which is why I’m generally very opposed to the firing rate of anything being changed.

Last edited by BERSERKER,

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

Oh, it’s that time of the month again, cool :D

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

2 shots, no knock back, same movement (or old movement, whichever was better).

RaCio

GoT²

Thats indeed old

longas

2 shots, no knock back, same movement (or old movement, whichever was better).

or BaN the FaN please :D

Last edited by longas,

Skyride

DUCS

http://www.bobpitch.com/anon/her_name_is_rio_aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2.jpg

that is serious btw, Its fine as it, just leave it alone all ready

Last edited by Skyride,

AnimaL

ban

DRookie

guru-JB
,(s),