Forum

sandman: class role changes?

Created 25th February 2009 @ 21:51

Locked Pages: 1 2 ... 10 Next »

Akill

previously, as a scout u had to be insane or well skilled to top a heavy 1v1.

enter the sandman
if a heavy decides to pull the minigun on you, as soon as he winds up, he isnt going anywhere, pull out your trusty baseball and stun him. then you can proceed to close the gap and pump him full of lead. aiming the ball at a minigun-rotating heavy is a piece of piss

Ok, so this is in the instance that your playing pub and the heavy isnt really receiving careful backup. But the problem can be replicated in 6v6 im fairly sure. In any case, consider this a good tip to all you pub heroes out there ;)

Previously the heavy was supposed to top the scout. now the scout tops the heavy, if he pulls out his minigun he is as good as dead.

Zipok

Noticed that in a scrim I played earlier. Total BULLSHIT!
All a scout has to do against a revved up heavy standing in guard for incoming enemies while protecting a point, or his medic, is to take out the stunbat and charge right through the rain of lead, hit a ball to stun the heavy (and stop the minigun spin), and just basically wtfpwn the heavy with little to no effort.
If there is a community vote about scout unlocks, I would ban the usage of the stunbat in competitive games, as it makes a heavy nearly useless.

..Just to clarify, I don’t mind scout topping a less skilled heavy, but as it currently is with the stunbat, it doesn’t matter how skilled the heavy is. He will go down 1on1.

Randdalf

(0v0)

yes but it removes double jump… a pretty big tradeoff there; heavies or double jumping?

nvc

can double jump same height with a shot from the new scatter

shifty

Sir

All new weapons arent much use, maybe 1 small bit here and there, but not much use.

codcrille

Fresh.

You cant shoot the ball as it’s flying towards you I presume? If you could it wouldn’t really be a problem as long as you’re aware and get calls from the rest of your team.

Zipok

Nope, couldn’t. It flies right through the minigun fire.

remO

Personally i think the Sandman was the worst idea ever. It totally goes against what Valve said at one point, explaining how they thought a player losing control was a bad idea. The Sandman also doesnt follow the pattern other melee unlockables do.

Ubersaw:
pro = 25% Uber on hit
con = 20% Slower firing speed

Axtinguisher:
pro = Crits on burining enemy
con = 50% Less damage on un-ignited enemies

KGB:
pro = 5 seconds of crits on kill
con = 20% Slower firing speed

This shows that the pro on the other unlocks are worth more than the con, therefore everyone is likely to pick these unlocks rather than the originals. On the other hand, the Sandman trades something extremely valuble to the scout for something extremely deadly in the hands of the right player.

Personally i think the Sandman should have been more of a novelty item rather than something that could potentially be game breaking. Something along the lines of:

-Keep double jump (perhaps disable double jump when you have it in your hands)
-Remove the whole stun idea
-Implment a mechanic that makes the players vision goes blury for a second or two when they get hit in the head, similar to the bile on L4D, except it’ll force a player to retreat rather than make them totally helpless.

Thats just my opinion :/

frooker

No, you can’t. Using the baseball is very much like shooting a flare gun.

edit: Ok, too slow. :O

Zipok

The idea of making the screen blurred is something I would like to see instead of the annoying stun effect of the sandman, a brilliant idea!
Also, it could make the screen black & white, so that the target wouldn’t be able to make a difference between friend and a foe. In a hectic battle, the split second is the thing that matters, but if you know who you’re firing before the ball hits, it wouldn’t be more than a nuisance.

Akill

other crazy shouldnt-be-scout things todo (mostly on pub):

use bonk purely to block small doorways from enemy players
use sandman to stun an engineer hitting his sentry (insta sentry death tbh)
bonk through in dustbowl type maps to spawn camp
use sandman to make pyros completely useless, this is through stunning anyone coming straight around a corner at close range, even if the stun is for a shorter duration you have the ability to OWN them

ginisa

KILL IT WITH FIRE

remO

Seriously, the more i think about ‘double jump + blur > stunning’ the more i wonder why the fuck i dont work for Valve :P

On a serious note, anyone got any more opinions on my blur idea? Dont make me make a thread :P

Crusa

Troopers

There is no role change. Sandman is fine and brings a new depth to the old “jumping like crazy” scout that we have. So it stuns you big deal. Scout loses the ability to double jump and that is a BIG loss. Also you can basicly just stun once in a battle.

mb

keso

The concept of Sandman is a way for Valve to put in conc nades without actually putting in nades and make everbody cry. But Sandman is waaay to imba

Locked Pages: 1 2 ... 10 Next »