Anti Cheat - What would you improve?

Created 8th March 2010 @ 18:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 ... 31 Next »

pena

Quoted from trams

[…]

And how did ESL “find” boomeh?
We need an AC program.

Is it just me or is it a little bit suspicious that so many doesnt want a program? ;)

Its understandable. Like aequitas causes loads of frustration and crashes. I’d rather have an ac admin team than have to struggle with a shitty program.

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

If an AC program is used it needs to be light, also measures have to be in place incase some people cannot run the AC program, albeit dumb cheaters will just say “I CANT RUN IT CRASHES TF2! HOW DO RECORD SELF INGAEM?”

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from trams

[…]

Noone has said that we only should have a program, but its a good supplement.

How do you imagine it supplementing the AC team? In my opinion it’s just another layer of defence against cheaters. One that is annoying for every single user.

AnAkkk

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

[…]

Just shows you can’t rely solely on an AC program, he evaded it for months. :)

Knowing the amount of bans Aequitas make per week, I can tell that it works fine.
Also, no AntiCheat can detect 100% of cheats at once, but they do eventually get detected one day. It’s exactly the same with an AC team, but can be worse. Some players have been cheating for years on ETF2L too. I guess some of these are the ones who don’t play in ESL, or who reply in this thread that they don’t want an AC program :)

Anathema

Quoted from AnAkkk

[…]

been cheating for years on ETF2L too. I guess some of these are the ones who reply in this thread that they don’t want an AC program :)

Obviously.

Fanva

An anticheat program would be awesome, also having more anticheat admins would ofc be great as well.

Adding a directupload link for demos on matchpages would be great, where it shows (right underneath “steamids”screenshot) whos uploaded and who havent and make it mandatory that EVERYONE uploads EVERY demo from officials. With a border between stv’s and POV-demos, POV-demos being the mandatory one then and stv a real good extra.
And make it so that everyone can download the demos right off the matchpage.
At least on say div3+ matches.

As it is now with going through the “team admin” hassle i cant see many would do it, me being one of them sadly.

This might have already been thought of/mentioned though..

trams

-><-

Quoted from RaCio

[…]How do you imagine it supplementing the AC team? In my opinion it’s just another layer of defence against cheaters. One that is annoying for every single user.

Supplement and another layer, same thing? Or did I use the wrong word?

Well, interesting that an ETF2L admin have this opinion, seems like I have to play somewhere else next season :/

Cloud

.wldcrd!

Quoted from trams

[…]

Well, interesting that an ETF2L admin have this opinion, seems like I have to play somewhere else next season :/

AC app can supplement, however in the end it just becomes another “onion shell” for hackers to peel away. It’s a good idea, but to be honest I think serverside prevention is a better idea, can still be worked around, but will thwart most “Stupid” cheats, and doesn’t intrude on players. You don’t want to have people having to run some client they can simply claim just doesn’t work, or annoys 50% of players.

Especially now steam is going to mac, you could just claim you play on a mac and it doesn’t work. Until a mac version got worked out. (I doubt there would be mac hacks for a while, but it’s still an issue)
If an app that doesn’t get in the way, crash all the time, whatever, can be worked out, I say do it. Otherwise, leave it as it is until such a thing can be done, it’s a very good idea, but overall, from systems we see in place at the moment, would just be a pain to players and the league. Get some testing done out of season or in PCWs… on client performance hits and such. Detection rates? Well, testing that would be a bit of an issue.. :P

trams

-><-

Quoted from Cloud

[…]

AC app can supplement, however in the end it just becomes another “onion shell” for hackers to peel away. It’s a good idea, but to be honest I think serverside prevention is a better idea, can still be worked around, but will thwart most “Stupid” cheats, and doesn’t intrude on players. You don’t want to have people having to run some client they can simply claim just doesn’t work, or annoys 50% of players.

Especially now steam is going to mac, you could just claim you play on a mac and it doesn’t work. Until a mac version got worked out. (I doubt there would be mac hacks for a while, but it’s still an issue)
If an app that doesn’t get in the way, crash all the time, whatever, can be worked out, I say do it. Otherwise, leave it as it is until such a thing can be done, it’s a very good idea, but overall, from systems we see in place at the moment, would just be a pain to players and the league. Get some testing done out of season or in PCWs… on client performance hits and such. Detection rates? Well, testing that would be a bit of an issue.. :P

You are absolutely right, but isnt a serverside app a lot harder(more expensive) to develop? Valve has worked x hours on VAC and it still doesnt get many cheaters.

Randdalf

(0v0)

Quoted from trams

[…]

You are absolutely right, but isnt a serverside app a lot harder(more expensive) to develop? Valve has worked x hours on VAC and it still doesnt get many cheaters.

As I understand it, VAC simply checks for the programs running against a black list.

A server side plugin has the huge advantage of being able to read the game state, and could record data about that player, such as their average accuracy, or the spot where their guns hit the most, or the frequency of tracking through walls (even if entire accidental). Though it’d have to be a well-written plugin to intelligently detect cheating, the results it produces could be analysed by an anti-cheat admin.

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from trams

[…]

To clarify, some people reacted to the quad case with the statement that a AC program would solve such situations. But in reality I believe an AC program won’t really have much to do with the AC team or their decisions. As I see it, it would just be an additional strict way to avoid cheaters.

Additionally, I was just stating my personal opinion, no need to overreact.

EDIT: I’m not saying I am against an AC program, just stating it has advantages and disadvantages.

Cloud

.wldcrd!

Quoted from Randdalf

[…]

As I understand it, VAC simply checks for the programs running against a black list.

A server side plugin has the huge advantage of being able to read the game state, and could record data about that player, such as their average accuracy, or the spot where their guns hit the most, or the frequency of tracking through walls (even if entire accidental). Though it’d have to be a well-written plugin to intelligently detect cheating, the results it produces could be analysed by an anti-cheat admin.

This. As well as the fact you can also block certain info from being given to the client that hacks can use, blocking exploits, blah.

I still reckon this should be looked at seriously http://dblocker.didrole.com/

Edit–
Not sure as to how it works in TF2, but something like that could surely be replicated.

kala

Quoted from pena

[…] Its understandable. Like aequitas causes loads of frustration and crashes. I’d rather have an ac admin team than have to struggle with a shitty program.

EAC (EasyAntiCheat) easy to use and wont crash

AnAkkk

Quoted from kala

[…]

EAC (EasyAntiCheat) easy to use and wont crash

ESL Wire is easy to use and won’t crash either.

dunc

infs
dp.

You say that Anakin, but so far we’ve played one ESL game and had two fairly major/time consuming issues with Wire (or specifically, Aequitas running from Wire), both of which involved being talked through by yourself.

Easy to use, maybe. Time consuming and pretty fucking frustrating too however.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 ... 31 Next »