Forum

[HL S2] Map Pool Feedback

Created 21st February 2012 @ 13:32

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »

Linus

[d¿s]

payload needs to be bo3 regardless, its absolutely stupid that its not right now, one single screw up can cost a team the entire map.

i like the idea of having 1 map a week for payload, and 2 for 5cp/koth

Jazz

ScS|
(Q)<

With regards to the map pool. I feel that you need to have a map pool that reflect all the different types of map. i.e PL, CTF, KOTH, CP

I would hate to see a map pool like 6v6 where there is a variety of maps. To make sure that every team is tested to their full.

Also why are we only having a 5 week season? why can’t have a 7 week season or a bit longer? That way we could involve more maps and also as Highlander draws more people to it why cant we extend it to make people more happy?

If i had to choose 5 map it would be: Badwater (the badlands of HL), Turbine, Foundary, Lakeside, Upward

Also you should start considering custom maps. Otherwise this league will start to become stale. We should start using maps that are being made by the community to produce good entertainment.

The easiest way to deal with the bugged maps is to not include them. Otherwise put them in and provide another option if put dont wanna play on it.

Beef

Dawson

Quoted from Jazz

Also why are we only having a 5 week season? why can’t have a 7 week season or a bit longer? That way we could involve more maps and also as Highlander draws more people to it why cant we extend it to make people more happy?

To keep enough room for 6v6 and limit overlapping seasons. This way we cancomfortably squeeze out another season of 6v6 before the summer. As long as 6v6 is the main format tf2 is played in, we’ll probably stick to 5 weeks of highlander.

Last edited by Beef,

droso

o/

Quoted from Beef

Hmm, how about sneaky option number 3; payload weeks are just 1 map. Other weeks are 2 maps.

for example:
week 1: badwater
week 2: foundry/lakeside
week 3: upward
week 4: foundry/lakeside
week 5: barnblitz

Would that mean that week 2&4 games are worth 6 points each whereas the other games are only worth 3?
That would be a bit unfair.

L-iNC

Add koth_lighthouse to the map pool.

pala4

use ugc map rules
pl_badwater, koth_lakeside, cp_steel (if fixed), cp_gravelpit_fixed, pl_barnblitz, pl_upward
leave 5cp maps for 6v6
gravelpit has already been fixed, so I think steel can be fixed too, if so, it must be added to mappool

Beef

Dawson

Quoted from droso

[…]

Would that mean that week 2&4 games are worth 6 points each whereas the other games are only worth 3?
That would be a bit unfair.

No, a win on badwater would mean 6 points.

Tikcus

1 map per week

BO3 on PL/AVD
First to 5 on “normal” cp maps

No bugged maps

Monkeh

.:ne:.

Quoted from Beef

No, a win on badwater would mean 6 points.

Quick brain fart: How about having a 4 points for a win system. GC win 2, GC loss 1. badwater/pl maps 2 points available per round.

almightybob

.ps

Quoted from Beef

1) Do we feature any of the bugged maps?

Much as I love gravelpit, and even though my team personally had no overtime issues on it in S1, I’d have to say drop it simply because what happens if the bug does come into play? It would be a massive pain in the arse to have to replay the map because of the bug, particularly if the outcome was different the second time round. I would be massively pissed if my team fought hard and set a great time, then because of the bug had to replay and set a worse time which was then beaten.

Quoted from Beef

2) Do we switch to a 1 map per week format? Several players on the higher end of the game note that payload maps are too punishing for single mistakes and a best of 1 format doesn’t really work. We are thus considering to switching to 1 map/week and playing payload as bo3. What format should we than use for other maps?

If you’re going to make payload bo3 (which is probably a good idea, bo1 is a little unforgiving) then don’t put other maps with it. bo3 payload can take forever, many people don’t have enough time to play a full map of that and then another different map format on top of it.

However two maps would be fine when each map is going to last less than 30min, so on other weeks with no payload I’d say have two.

So basically, sneaky option 3.

Quoted from Beef

3) What maps do we include?

Week 1: badwater
Week 2: gullywash/lakeside
Week 3: upward
Week 4: turbine_pro/foundry
Week 5: barnblitz

3 PL , 2 CP, 1 KOTH, 1 CTF. A little bit of everything, which is what I most enjoy about Highlander :D

Tikcus

Quoted from Monkeh

[…]

Quick brain fart: How about having a 4 points for a win system. GC win 2, GC loss 1. badwater/pl maps 2 points available per round.

BO3 in AvD and First to 5 in cp maps = no need for golden caps

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from Tikcus

[…]

BO3 in AvD and First to 5 in cp maps = no need for golden caps

if you’re suggesting first to 5 with no timelimit thats ridiculous. highlander rounds take a lot longer than 6v6 (unless it’s against SNSD), so could last forever if it’s a good match.

ondkaja

IKEA

In my opinion,

– Keep it one map per week for payload maps and two maps for ctf/cp/koth maps.

– I don’t like the “winner-takes-all” approach the proposed BO3 style on payload maps. A better suggestion would be to either play two rounds ABBA style where a round win awards the winning team with 3 points, or to play three rounds ABBAAB style where a round win awards the winning team with 2 points.

– Gullywash wasn’t fun to play at all in HL S1. Defending the last point is too easy while pushing out from the last point is too hard, making it essentially a stalemate once a team has capped the 4th point. It’s great on 6vs6, but not for Highlander. Same goes for Viaduct, the middle point is too narrow and spammy. Replace Gullywash with Foundry and Viaduct with Lakeside and I’m sure the games will be more fun.

– My week schedule proposal:
Week 1: pl_badwater
Week 2: cp_foundry/koth_lakeside
Week 3: koth_lakeside/ctf_turbine_pro
Week 4: ctf_turbine_pro/cp_foundry
Week 5: pl_barnblitz

– I absolutely love Gravelpit, but bugged maps shouldn’t be featured in highlander, especially since you haven’t gotten any policies on how to deal with matches where the bug occurs. Perhaps cp_gravelpit_fixed will do?

– Not really related to the map pool, but I really think the wrangler should be banned. It would probably be fine if the shield didn’t stay during the “cool-down”, but it’s way too easy to keep a wrangled sentry alive.

– Another side note: Highlander is what got me and a lot of other pubbers interested in 6vs6, and I think the league can only grow larger by letting the rest of the community know that this event exists in one way or another, I’ll make sure I do my part.

Anyway, I look forward to HL S2, I don’t know if I’ll play yet, really depends on when HLS2 takes place and if the wrangler is banned or not (yes I hate the wrangler).

Monkeh

gravelpit_fixed works a treat, just sayin’.

Tikcus

Quoted from Monkeh

gravelpit_fixed works a treat, just sayin’.

download link please

found it

Last edited by Tikcus,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »