Forum

Points from ETF2L games; A suggestion

Created 18th October 2011 @ 11:12

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Next »

Dummy

SpikeHimself asked me to post this idea on the forums for open debate, so here it is.

The reason I’m proposing a change to one of the fundamental rules in ETF2L is because the current situation is not perfect – while much better than some e.g. wireplay it could be improved upon. My main problem is with how wins are counted. a 5-0 win on a map should give more points to the winner than e.g. a 5-3 win. Similarly, the losing team should get more points if it is e.g. a 5-4 loss.
I know a variation of this has been implemented in Wireplay, in which it doesn’t work very well, seeing as you can win 1 map 1-0 and lose the 2nd map 3-1 and lose over-all despite winning 1 map, hence why I’m not proposing that wins should be counted by rounds only.

I’m not yet sure how it would work, but my rough idea more or less consists of:
getting 50%+ of the points from a map independent of the rounds won / lost amount. Probably much more than 50%, somewhere in the area of 70/80%ish imo, but its up to debate. Then whatever % is left you get that from rounds, so for example (not suggesting this, just an example to show what i mean =x)
you get 6 points for a win, 0.5 for a round, so if you win a map 5-0, you get 8.5 points, while if you win a map 5-4 you get 8.5 and your opponent gets 2.
Two things which came to my mind while thinking about this:

1, in the end what should count the most is not rounds but if you won or lost the map. I have not thought about GC wins but I’m sure someone smarter than me will come up with something.

2, round difference should also count – what I mean by this is you get more points if there is a big round difference between you and the enemy you get more points than if there is a tiny, e.g. just 1 round, difference.

Discussion about this would be nice, I’m sure I have missed some pretty obvious things so feel free to point anything out. just keep it nice, like those admin-made threads, keep it civil and constructive D:

!

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Dummy

SpikeHimself asked me to post this idea on the forums for open debate, so here it is.

Only so you’d stop whining to me! :D

Jazz

ScS|
(Q)<

Doesn’t this just complicate things?

I mean shouldn’t a win just be a win?

for example image its the match to decide the winners of the prem or any div. and to win all team a have to do is win one round or two rounds? doesn’t that take away the excitement of all or nothing?

You should win a div/league because your the best in that league/div not because you tried the hardest.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Don’t think about it as a some kind of a ‘only complicating things’ matter. Think about it as a metagame changing matter. We’d get closer to NA style where you play with the round counter in mind, not just the timer. Although here it’d be more like ‘every round matters, so get as much as you can’ instead of ‘gotta get those five rounds before they do’. Hopefully the matches won’t end fifteen minutes in when the morale go down on 0-4. In my opinion, it’s a good idea.

The messy and complicated point system was one of the reason I really disliked wireplay. The system you are proposing sounds just as bad to me, although less complicated. I like the current system etf2l is using, and I don’t think it should be altered, especially not in the way you proposed.

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

I don’t like the idea.
Any System where it would be possible for a team to rank higher than a team with more wins is stupid imho.

If anything, you could add total rounds won/lost to the table, which only come into play if the points are tied.

EDIT:
Also, your proposed system ist abuseable.

If you completely roll your opponent and go 4-0 in 10mins, it would be better for you to just let them cap every 2nd round to maximize your points. (would be better for the other team as well)

Last edited by slate,

Jazz

ScS|
(Q)<

Quoted from slate

I don’t like the idea.
Any System where it would be possible for a team to rank higher than a team with more wins is stupid imho.

If anything, you could add total rounds won/lost to the table, which only come into play if the points are tied.

EDIT:
Also, your proposed system ist abuseable.

If you completely roll your opponent and go 4-0 in 10mins, it would be better for you to just let them cap every 2nd round to maximize your points.

Good point. You would start seeing scores like 10-8 and higher

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from Jazz

[…]

Just make it a round difference, fixed.

slate

(ETF2L Donator)
AMG

Quoted from freshmeatt

[…]
Just make it a round difference, fixed.

please explain, what do you mean round difference?

Implying you mean the difference in rounds won. 5-3 (2 diffrence) how would extra points be awarded based on that and who would get them?

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Jazz

See dummsy. I told you so. Just saying.

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

It’s better for something to be more complicated AND fairer, than simple and unfair

Oxy

TC.Express

Quoted from Jazz

I mean shouldn’t a win just be a win?

This.

Quoted from Permzilla

It’s better for something to be more complicated AND fairer, than simple and unfair

I don’t see the current system as unfair, both teams know the situation going into the game that the winner takes all 3 points for a map win. Simples.

Last edited by Oxy,

Dummy

Quoted from Jazz

[…]

are you people special, no offense?
this is completely the opposite of what I am saying.

to clarify as I guess I wasn’t clear enough?
Rounds would count as very little. The fact whether you won or lost the map would be the deciding factor but rounds should be factored in as well. in response to your example of a 10-8 win, that is indeed possible hence why I want suggestions. maybe completely remove points for rounds from what I suggested and leave in rounds difference?
then you would have incentive to get as much rounds as you can and let them get as little as they can, so collaboration between teams to get as much rounds as possible would be impossible. alternatively, a cap on rounds, though that sounds worse

Last edited by Dummy,

FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

how would round difference work with gravelpit etc. ?

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from Oxy

[…]

This.

[…]

I don’t see the current system as unfair, both teams know the situation going into the game that the winner takes all 3 points for a map win. Simples.

People knowing what the rules are doesn’t make it fair. Losing 4-5 4-5 over 2 maps you get 0 points. That’s unfair imo.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Next »