Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 84 Next »

Crafz

This is coming along nicely, here is a little status update:
Chat 75%
Design 20%
Steam Auth 90%
Bot 0%
Database 0%

Trath is doing a great job on the coding part. I set up the web server and started making the design this evening.

Screenshot: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8516328/TF2%20Pickup/screenshot1.PNG

If someone who can help is interested in helping he is welcome to sing up.

Edit: Also talked to w1nkee and he would be up for providing game servers.

Last edited by Crafz,

MIndYe

[hePPa]

Captain or random or ELO rating to make teams? Any skill requirements? If captain, start on 12 or fatkidding, who can captain? Do you add as a class or just a general player?

gears

something like pickup http://tf2l.org/pickup , ist it?

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Wow, so many naysayers in this thread. I get that people are trying to warn the initiative takers of the effort required to build something like this, but you could at least try and be supportive of the people that are trying to help this community.

The difference between a web-based pickup and tf2lobby are plenty and completely obvious… Private lobbies will keep draining the same pool of players and will make it hard to attract new players. A new website, focused on eliminating some of the “casualness” of tf2lobby, that is open to everyone has the biggest reach, and the most chance of success.

I hope to see captain style pickups there, and I’d recommend to not introduce skill-specific channels within the site until you’ve reached a considerable audience size. Good luck, and I’m looking forward to see the result!

Last edited by skeej,

Crafz

Quoted from skeej

Wow, so many naysayers in this thread. I get that people are trying to warn the initiative takers of the effort required to build something like this, but you could at least try and be supportive of the people that are trying to help this community.

Damn right! Thank you for being supportive.

I hope to see captain style pickups there

Well, how would we decide the captains then? I’ve played lots of mixes in my Doublemix Group and the medics often have no clue who to pick. It will get even harder if hundreds of people will try this pickup out.

and I’d recommend to not introduce skill-specific channels within the site until you’ve reached a considerable audience size. Good luck, and I’m looking forward to see the result!

This was the plan to begin with. I would rather see this running sooner then later so stuff like this can wait.

fe

Quoted from gears

something like pickup http://tf2l.org/pickup , ist it?

Its a 3D pickup! My dead child.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Crafz

Well, how would we decide the captains then? I’ve played lots of mixes in my Doublemix Group and the medics often have no clue who to pick. It will get even harder if hundreds of people will try this pickup out.

Not sure, multiple options:

– By vote (ENSL pickup works like that, after adding and before picking, the added people can vote for captains, top2 become captains, then the picking process starts)

– You get captainship if you have X amount of pickups played. This is how pug.na does it. Not sure how they started out, I guess by an assigned group of captains by admins.

– Medics are captain by default, but they have the option of transfering captainship to their first picked player.

MInd’s other questions were valid too (add as player or class? can you add as multiclass? can more than 12 people add? (i guess no if there’s no captains))

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Some threshold of pickups played is probably a good minimum for captainship, and maybe then making it a vote. So people vote for captains basically, but the only people eligible for the votes have X pickups. Doesn’t have to be a massive amount, but it means they have some experience of the pickups and how it goes. Hopefully means they will know a few players as well.

Class adding would be preferred. Some multiclass thing would be cool, but not sure the best way to do it.

MIndYe

[hePPa]

Class adding has it’s pros and cons.
Pros:
-Don’t get forced to play class you can’t play
-Main demos don’t get to rape offclass demos
Cons:
-Wait for an hour for that last medic, when he adds, 6 leave.

Godof

Great work Crafz and Trath,I’m really looking forward to see how this will be like.
About the captainship stuff- in the Israeli community,someone has developed a bot that uses ELO,and after a month or two, pickups have become very equalized,mostly ending by a difference of 1-2 or a draw. Israeli pickups had used the method of captains choosing teams before,randomly chosen teams and there was another method that chooses by ranking, but not ELO ranking . From my experience ELO is simply the best.
If you want,and if he agrees, i can put his steam here so you can contact him about it.

Last edited by Godof,

Trath

Quoted from Godof

Great work Crafz and Trath,I’m really looking forward to see how this will be like.
About the captainship stuff- in the Israeli community,someone has developed a bot that uses ELO,and after a month or two, pickups have become very equalized,mostly ending by a difference of 1-2 or a draw. Israeli pickups had used the method of captains choosing teams before,randomly chosen teams and there was another method that chooses by ranking, but not ELO ranking . From my experience ELO is simply the best.
If you want,and if he agrees, i can put his steam here so you can contact him about it.

I already made an IRC bot which was a copy of the Israeli one with ELO, but the channel was a failure due to people being to lazy/dumb/not wanting to mess with IRC,Q/Auth and hiding hostname. (Understandable, kiddies wanna play TF2, not gonna have to work and figure shit out just to play a shit pickup).

ELO is a nice addition but due to the big difference between the size of the community and the number of actual pickups that every player will play, it will take forever for the system to correct itself to be as close to reality as possible. (Unlike the Israeli community that consisted of 45~ players and had like over 2K pickups in less than a year).

ELO, Captain system and w/e other features or ways this web-based pickup can work are all cool and can be discussed about forever, but there is no point in it really when there isn’t even a base.
With all due respect to Craftz for taking the initiative and getting this project started, throwing random numbers of “X is Y% done” is either super naive or a huge lack of understanding how big something like this is – especially when nobody actually knows what we are doing. (I think I have the big picture of how this would work theoretically, but I don’t have the PHP/JS experience to type shit in on-the-fly).

I have been wanting to talk to TF2’s tech master Skyride but he hasn’t been on IRC for a while. I don’t think he will want to work on this project, but he will certainly be of assistance just by being a guiding light.

TL;DR
If this thing ever happens (Nightmare’s web-based pickup or w/e), it won’t be for a good couple of months.
Don’t get your hopes up, TF2 is dead.
If this thing ever gets near finished, it won’t be for a couple months.

Crafz

Quoted from Trath

With all due respect to Craftz for taking the initiative and getting this project started, throwing random numbers of “X is Y% done” is either super naive or a huge lack of understanding how big something like this is – especially when nobody actually knows what we are doing. (I think I have the big picture of how this would work theoretically, but I don’t have the PHP/JS experience to type shit in on-the-fly).

Well, let me display progress a different way then. As before, I won’t give any ETA’s

Chat: This part is more tricky then I thought, the current php chat we are considering to use has some issues and we would have to implement different user ranks like Admin/Subadmin ourselves or wait for a new version to get which may have those functions. Commands like !kick and !ban are not implemented yet either.

Design: Probably the easiest part. I have some good ideas on how to do it and all the four people working on it have a decent understanding of CSS. Making it dynamic with ajax would be a different story but should not be too hard to do after we would be done with everything else.

Steam Auth: Seems to be pretty much done, not implemented obviously. Thank you Trath. Screenshot

Bot: No work done in php yet, as far as I know. I guess this would be the hardest part to do.

Database: We would need one for keeping track of stats, user settings and other stuff. No work done on this one either. Although I guess you could consider it as a part of the bot and steam login.

Merging all these parts will obviously also consume time.

People working on this Project:
Trath, Crafz, Awarche, Floube
None of us are real Professionals so somebody who is an expert on this stuff would still be a huge help.

Last edited by Crafz,

fe

In QL, ELO works nice even so most of players never played against each other. I like shuffle in QL and I hate qlpickup cus of captains (and cus its not automated). And I don’t think that implementing ELO will be much harder than choosing captains, plus it might produce less whining.

Kaneco

Just saying I’m here for anything you need, I’m no professional or anything but I can do some cool things in photoshop and mess with a few web dev related things, no coding tho.

Add me if you need anything!

Crafz

Summarized the to-do list so I don’t have to write so much.

Chat: Awarche implemented the steam login in the chat. I’ve done some good work on it. Added login with etf2l name and I also made every action log in to a file: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8516328/TF2%20Pickup/Screenshots/log1.PNG . Also implemented a basic command.

Design: Stopped at this > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8516328/TF2%20Pickup/Screenshots/screenofpage.PNG for now. Functional but by far not perfect, how ever I don’t put much priority into finishing it until the pickup actually runs.

Bot: Did not really start working on it yet. Still the biggest thing to come, but I hope I will manage.

Awarche and Trath kinda jumped off the boat so, it on me to finish this now.

Help in coding would be appreciated, contact me if you are interested.

Last edited by Crafz,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 84 Next »