Forum

High div players joining lower divs during season.

Created 28th May 2014 @ 22:35

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 ... 14 Next »

droso

o/

Quoted from fraac

[…]

This is totally irrelevant. You can get hard games on irc. Everyone knows how to test themselves to improve. The league shouldn’t accommodate every prem player who wants to take the piss in div2.

You don’t even learn nearly as much in pcws than in official.

almightybob

.ps

Quoted from ondkaja

stop being such a nazi. playing in high divs requires time and effort, but what if you only want to chill with friends in div 3 or something there shouldnt be some arbitrary rule preventing you from that.

Why can’t the high div player just chill with div3 friends in scrims, and leave official matches to be between teams of equivalent skill which is the entire point of divisions?

Also – all the rules are arbitrary. Why 30 minutes per map? Why first to 5? What if I just want to chill with friends and declare a win after we go 1 round up? What if I just want to have fun with the dead ringer?

Thie answer to all these questions and to yours is the same: mess around all you want in scrims, but official leagues and official league matches should be structured by (yes, arbitrary) rules or there’s no point.

TviQ

ft.

Quoted from fraac

[…]

This is totally irrelevant. You can get hard games on irc. Everyone knows how to test themselves to improve. The league shouldn’t accommodate every prem player who wants to take the piss in div2.

how does this even make sense in your head

almightybob

.ps

Quoted from droso

You don’t even learn nearly as much in pcws than in official.

Would that be because teams don’t take it as seriously as an official?

Does that not completely undermine the argument that it’s OK for high div players to chill in lower leagues – i.e. not take the officials seriously?

droso

o/

Quoted from almightybob

[…]

Would that be because teams don’t take it as seriously as an official?

Does that not completely undermine the argument that it’s OK for high div players to chill in lower leagues – i.e. not take the officials seriously?

Even if said high div player doesn’t take the official seriously, he will still make way fewer mistakes than anyone else on the server, so you would still get something from him.
Also, chilling in a lower div doesn’t mean you wouldn’t care about the official at all, it’s likely the high div player would still try his best. As a matter of fact, playing in a lower div means that you can actually handpick who you want to play with (ie friends) and you also have way less pressure to stay at the top ( hours of DM to stay in shape, watching demos, etc ).

Last edited by droso,

MEGAMIDDIE

PINT

a note:
s7 has barely ever beat tutorials team before anyway. I think in the 10+ maps we’ve played them on, we’ve won maybe once and drawn maybe twice. It hardly makes a difference from my perspective :>

MightyMe

UbeR |

newsflash: some people prefer to play for fun instead of competing to be the best

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from almightybob

[…]

Why can’t the high div player just chill with div3 friends in scrims, and leave official matches to be between teams of equivalent skill which is the entire point of divisions?

Also – all the rules are arbitrary. Why 30 minutes per map? Why first to 5? What if I just want to chill with friends and declare a win after we go 1 round up? What if I just want to have fun with the dead ringer?

Thie answer to all these questions and to yours is the same: mess around all you want in scrims, but official leagues and official league matches should be structured by (yes, arbitrary) rules or there’s no point.

except there are lots of examples of high div players going into low divs and failing because they either weren’t good enough for their high division in the first place or they simply want to chill and not put in so much time and effort. your retarded blanket rule which would force players to either play in a too high skill level or a skill level where they don’t want to commit to anymore.

Morgus

Quoted from fraac

[…]

Is there any reason *not* to do this? It seems like all upside.

Because instead of reinventing the wheel with exotic rules you could actually fix the division system.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

How? I don’t mind any system. Admin discretion would work really well if we’re talking about a smallish number of cases.

kaidus

WiK?

ETF2L has been screaming out for a completely different division and league structure for years now. Might as well move along.

frixx

LG

It’s like the only people against this are prem circlejerk and tutorial and his team. And the only arguement they have is, we can’t have fun? Well no because your fun is ruining other peoples fun so its unfair to them tbh.

On the other hand why should MAN complain since they were stupid enough to even allow him for official.

Kuferl

(TF2Pickup.net Unicorn)
FLANK

why seems nobody to understand the difference of roster changes during a season and before a season starts.

It was said so often. If you want to play with friends in a lower div, fine do so. But decide that before a season actually starts and admins can do their seeding with the established roster.

But during a season is a different thing. Why would you suddenly decide to play in a lower div (talking about at least 2 divs difference).

Call me a whiner or whatever all you want, but this is an actual matter. I would even continue to whine about it if we win our game today.
I mean bob even wrote an awesome example how you can make such a system.

Morgus

Quoted from frixx

It’s like the only people against this are prem circlejerk and tutorial and his team. And the only arguement they have is, we can’t have fun? Well no because your fun is ruining other peoples fun so its unfair to them tbh.

On the other hand why should MAN complain since they were stupid enough to even allow him for official.

erm sry?
I’m proposing to change the system because it’s fucking flawed and it ain’t my fault if our demo has to leave and the option to replace him is a prem player.

Quoted from fraac

How? I don’t mind any system. Admin discretion would work really well if we’re talking about a smallish number of cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament
I think ESEA uses something similar, it lets player go down as many divs as they will because the divs are made up of way more teams on the lower end allowing for a closelier matched more competitive division system.

Last edited by Morgus,

PuzZle

Boys
GG

Quoted from droso

If you’re playing a competitive game, you should be aiming to be the best. You shouldn’t settle for anything below.
If you ever fail on your way to get there, you’re supposed to keep trying by practising hard and improving.

You will never achieve anything with such a whiny attitude. As many others said, you should be glad of the opportunity to play against better players, that’s how you fucking improve FFS! Now grow the fuck up and let this thread die.

“You should do this and that…”

Maybe YOU should consider the fact that just because you would be fine with this, others wont. There isn’t a set value of the same dedication in every player. Not every player is striving for prem and there is nothing wrong with that.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 ... 14 Next »