Forum

TF2 for linux

Created 6th November 2012 @ 21:51

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5

lexs

BeachBoys
vier

Quoted from Vaskie

nTraum after following your tutorial i get this error: Could not find required OpenGL entry point ‘glColorMaskIndexedEXT’! Either your video card is unsupported, or your OpenGL driver needs to be updated.

What should i do ?

install the proprietary driver from nvidia/ati (not the one in the repo but the latest version from the vendor site) that should fix it

Last edited by lexs,

Alx

SNSD-jjang ♥

Photoshop is the only software missing for a full workplace setup for me on Ubuntu. I also miss Notepad++ (Geany works but is a bit meh for the languages I do) & TurtoiseGit.

VLC, Dropbox, FileZilla, Geany, Steam, Keypass, Flux, Firefox, Firebug, Chrome, Pidgin/Empathy, XChat, Thunderbird, 7zip etc gives a pretty solid base.

I still try to understand why Ubuntu does not have a Program folder but rather hides files in the userfolder (in a mess)? I also need to get used to the no .exe install procedure, but more software center / command line.

Another annoying thing I found was when doing a proper, non-wubi install, with a iso on USB stick. It was like a minefield trying to get the partitions right. I could’ve removed my main windows disc with a little wrong click. Ubuntu people suggested to unplug all drives except for the one you wanted during install – I mean it can be better made than that. Why not a “Select disc for your Ubuntu install” option for the new people with dual boot, but with OS’s on separate disks.

Very impressed with it overall though, open source is good stuff. Glad to see valve pushing publishers towards Linux & Ubuntu.

Last edited by Alx,

punct

Do be
Rambase.ro

Quoted from Alx

Photoshop is the only software missing for a full workplace setup for me on Ubuntu. I also miss Notepad++ (Geany works but is a bit meh for the languages I do) & TurtoiseGit.

You can try out Sublime Text (also available on Windows) instead of Geany, it’s a great text editor. But yeah, I miss Photoshop too as I’ve never got along with GIMP. :)

Demetrius

it seems, fps configs do not work on linux version of tf2, is there any way to get better fps?

Alx

SNSD-jjang ♥

Quoted from punct

[…]

You can try out Sublime Text (also available on Windows) instead of Geany, it’s a great text editor. But yeah, I miss Photoshop too as I’ve never got along with GIMP. :)

Completely forgot about Sublime Text 2, it’s my #2 fav one. Thanks for the tip!

Only Photoshop missing then, but according to the threads I read on the official forum, Adobe does not seem to be interested at all as it’s such a small market and would require a big re-build, and Ubuntu users supposedly “prefer free stuff”. Photoshop in wine is not good from what I’ve read.

Last edited by Alx,

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Can anyone report an improved framerate? That’s the only thing that could get me.

AnimaL

Quoted from fraac

Can anyone report an improved framerate? That’s the only thing that could get me.

im not sure what anakin was testing, maybe it was default tf2 on w7 and default on linux and he was getting about 10% less performance but since there is no dx8 on linux you cant turn off a lot of stuff that lowers fps heavily so when you actually compare maxfps cfg on w7 to what you get on linux its unplayable

Last edited by AnimaL,

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Quoted from Alx

I still try to understand why Ubuntu does not have a Program folder but rather hides files in the userfolder (in a mess)? I also need to get used to the no .exe install procedure, but more software center / command line.

Files are organized according to the: http://wiki.debian.org/FilesystemHierarchyStandard
It was also one of the things that I thought was ugly or weird when trying Debian for the first time, but it actually makes sense.

I love the way updates are handled in Debian/Ubuntu or almost any linux distro really. There’s a great package manager that deals with all the software updates, much better than anything in Windows or OS/X imo.

Last edited by Arie,

AnAkkk

Quoted from AnimaL

[…]im not sure what anakin was testing, maybe it was default tf2 on w7 and default on linux and he was getting about 10% less performance but since there is no dx8 on linux you cant turn off a lot of stuff that lowers fps heavily so when you actually compare maxfps cfg on w7 to what you get on linux its unplayable

I don’t know if timedemo is really reliable for benchmarking, considering it doesn’t play a same demo at the same speed between windows/linux. I haven’t found any other tool that is able to do similar benchmarks.

There are lot of gl_ cvars on linux that let you tweak OpenGL stuff.

AnAkkk

I’ve made a new timedemo. It was launched 4 times under both systems.

My game runs in fullscreen, 1680×1050, with the same low fps settings.

Linux:
Nvidia 313.19 drivers.
Kubuntu 13.04 64bit
Desktop effects disabled in fullscreen windows

Windows:
Nvidia 310.70 drivers
Windows 7 64bit
Aero disabled

Hardware:
8800 GT
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 OC’d @ 3 GHz

Timedemo results:
Linux: 125,175 FPS avg
Windows: 124,025 FPS avg

Last edited by AnAkkk,

Alx

SNSD-jjang ♥

Quoted from Arie

[…]
Files are organized according to the: http://wiki.debian.org/FilesystemHierarchyStandard
It was also one of the things that I thought was ugly or weird when trying Debian for the first time, but it actually makes sense.

I love the way updates are handled in Debian/Ubuntu or almost any linux distro really. There’s a great package manager that deals with all the software updates, much better than anything in Windows or OS/X imo.

Thanks for the link, will check it out. I guess I just need to get used to it.

As for updating software, I agree – the software updater in Ubuntu is great. Also impressive how well it handles updates of software that is running while being updated.

Last edited by Alx,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5