Forum

TF2 for linux

Created 6th November 2012 @ 21:51

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Next »

choiie

keso

Has the time finally come to completely abandon Windows?

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

Just installed it on Ubuntu, UI is pretty unresponsive so far. You can circumvent the “you’re-not in beta” popup by launching Steam via steam://open/friends

Last edited by nTraum,

vøid

I’m waiting for some more feedback before installing a dual boot linux again on my PC, but sounds interesting.

Pennyfarming

but i need windows for mah gamezzzzzzzz :>

Sketch

MM

It is just a matter of time. If steam gets success on Linux then there will be a reason for other developers to join in. Once there is competition the service will improve. I doubt you will ever see origin or other alternatives on there though. At least not until valve prove it through sales.

AnAkkk

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/NVIDIA-Delivers-Massive-Performance-Boost-to-Linux-Gaming-8ac.aspx

vøid

well, it seems that valve and nvidia did a great job there,
maybe opening the way for many futures ( or actual?) games

AnAkkk

So has anyone else tried TF2 on Linux yet?

FYI they removed the restriction from TF2 yesterday, so you can now download it from the linux client even while not being in the beta.

I made a few timedemo benchmarks, though I am not sure if timedemo is really accurate between Windows and Linux. I haven’t been able to find a program that does benchmarking like Fraps on Linux.

My game runs in fullscreen, 1680×1050, with low fps settings.

Nvidia 310.19 drivers.
8800 GT.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.

Timedemo results:
Ubuntu 12.10 64bit:
61 FPS
63 FPS
(Performance was the same on Unity, Gnome Classic and Gnome Classic (Without effects))

Windows 7 64bit:
79 FPS
81 FPS

Last edited by AnAkkk,

Skyride

DUCS

How is the mouse tracking? I know X has had issues with FPS games in the past.

Last edited by Skyride,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from AnAkkk

My game runs in fullscreen, 1680×1050, with low fps settings.
Timedemo results:
Ubuntu 12.10 64bit:
61 FPS
63 FPS

Windows 7 64bit:
79 FPS
81 FPS

Meaningless without module information/version.

Demetrius

If my mouse supports multiple dpi modes (for example g400), are there any drivers/tools on linux that supports it?

DeNeusbeer

(Legend)
HoT<3

Quoted from Demetrius

If my mouse supports multiple dpi modes (for example g400), are there any drivers/tools on linux that supports it?

Aren’t DPI settings stored on the mouse itself? I know that’s the case with my Steelseries mouse. Not sure about yours, the Logitech site doesn’t really say at a glance.

AnAkkk

Quoted from octochris

[…]

Meaningless without module information/version.

I’ve added some more info.

Quoted from Demetrius

There are some unofficial tools that should allow you to change the dpi.

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

thanks for the benchmark anakin, going to download it tonight and trying it out by myself tomorrow.

AnAkkk

Actually you’d probably get more FPS on Linux than Windows.

Yes, what I posted above doesn’t show that, but there is currently a bug in Steam on Linux that makes it uses 100% CPU all the time while TF2 is running.

Someone made some sort of script that should “reduce” the issue:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/1/882966056740854031/

I ran a benchmark on an other demo, and here are the results:

75 FPS (without the script, Steam using 100% CPU)
76 FPS (without the script, Steam using 100% CPU)
93 FPS (with the script, Steam using 50% CPU)
96 FPS (with the script, Steam using 50% CPU)
99 FPS (with the script, Steam using 50% CPU)

Now imagine Valve fix the issue and Steam isn’t even using 50% CPU, I’m pretty sure I’d get even more FPS than I do now.

Someone else I know tried the script as well and got +50 FPS.

I haven’t ran the benchmark with this demo on Win7 yet though, maybe I’ll do later.

Last edited by AnAkkk,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Next »