Forum

Medic/maincaller questions?

Created 7th May 2013 @ 02:02

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Ace

http://www.reddit.com/r/truetf2/comments/1dtqs8/medic_maincaller_questions/#c9tr0bq

Thought I might try this fancy modern reddit thing which I’ve never really used, feel free to ask questions!

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

Don’t have a reddit account so I’ll ask here:

When do you push flank and when do you push choke?

For example: You won the middle point (initial midfight or otherwise), how do you decide to push badlands house or choke, snake sawroom or choke, process maproom or choke, granary left yard / right yard, gully big door or choke, etc…?

I can never decide so we lose time and our advantage’s gone.

Last edited by Casual,

svins

alus
P.O.P

Casual, you need to be mentored. Add Ace for mentoring lessons or add ChillerBear for div4 mge experience skill boost.

BenBazinga

Garlic.tf

Quoted from Casual

Try to exploit their mistakes, if they’re not watching the flank, push flank. Otherwise push choke. (Really basic, there’s more to it, but I hope this helped you)

Last edited by BenBazinga,

Ace

Quoted from Casual

Don’t have a reddit account so I’ll ask here:

For example: You won the middle point (initial midfight or otherwise), how do you decide to push badlands house or choke, snake sawroom or choke, process maproom or choke, granary left yard / right yard, gully big door or choke, etc…?

I can never decide so we lose time and our advantage’s gone.

Badlands:

If you’re afraid of the kritz, push resup, leave a soldier choke, you’ll get your uber in time, and they’ll probably try to go from choke, and fail. Or you’ll meet them around haunter and destroy them with spam.

You should usually push resup if the flank group is weak (scout down for instance), or if you have a chance to catch them before they can fall back properly. Always think momentum. Always watch out for people coming haunter. Leaving something choke is always nice as well, to distract, to initiate the fight, to get more calls regarding their positioning etc, and to force the enemy to fight in two directions.
I usually push choke if we have spam advantage, or if they have already fallen back. And be aware of snipers, etc. I also like pushing resup if I need health, I don’t like getting health and then rotate to choke again, that’s waste of time if you have any kind of advantage.

On Gullywash, I like to push big doors, maybe try to get some players up top behind, maybe play a bit with the combo in lobby to get picks, but it all depends on how many people are up, and where the demo has stickies. Choke is also an option, but I wouldn’t use uber to get through. There is a nice health pack there though, that can be neat if your medic is low. All in all, I find big doors a bit more flexible, due to the access into lobby.

On Granary, I almost always push left side, unless right yard is for free. Left side is more flexible, and it’s perfect for getting scout picks. If the enemy is holding right yard, and they’re not reacting in time, you might end up with superior position, because you’re already all the way behind them left side.

On Process, I like going computer room if I want to get really close to them, maybe to rush the medic with double scout if you feel you have a slim advantage after the mid-fight. Choke with support (or just someone checking it) from sewers, or the other way around is also really viable. The important thing is to go all in to gain position if you have any kind of other advantage (numbers, health, uber).

On Snakewater, I’d rush left side to wrap around them if they are a bit slow falling back, and/or you have a number advantage – right side for the slow push, baiting aggressive players onto the grass.

Just note that there are a lot of factors playing in, so I can’t really give a proper answer, unless it’s a very specific scenario. :)

doks

The short answer to casuals question would be:
If you have a pick on the flank go from flank or if you feel confident enough that you can get a pick going through flank do so. Best example here would be granary left yard and badlands 2nd ressup. But Ace already answered that in more detail.

Ace – if the enemy roamer jumps behind you and at the same time enemy demo and pocket are spamming you – would you focus more on dodging the spam and trust your teammates to deal with the roamer or would you turn your back to spam and try doding the roamer attacks ?
How do you get players to follow your calls blindly without any doubt ?
What would you say to your team between maps if the first map was a disaster?

Last edited by doks,

Ace

Quoted from doks

Ace – if the enemy roamer jumps behind you and at the same time enemy demo and pocket are spamming you – would you focus more on dodging the spam and trust your teammates to deal with the roamer or would you turn your back to spam and try doding the roamer attacks ?

I don’t think there’s a definite answer here. I think I would focus on surfing the roamer’s rocket.

Quoted from doks

How do you get players to follow your calls blindly without any doubt ?

This can be really difficult. You need to make sure that your team knows that YOU are the main caller, and that the only way you’ll ever be able to play as a proper high div team, is that they listen to YOU. Be confident, never hesitate. You will sometimes make bad calls, but this is how you learn.

Quoted from doks

What would you say to your team between maps if the first map was a disaster?

Find out what the main issues were, preferly try to focus on the enemy’s strong points, instead of looking at your weak points. If you got destroyed by their demo, make sure you shut him down next map – if you got destroyed by aggressive soldiers every mid, counter it by playing passive and using kritz, or similar. NEVER discuss any particular scenario that happened during the previous map, or blame someone for something. It’s not going to help. You can look into specific scenarios AFTER the entire game. It might sound cliché, but stay positive! Try to talk about what you want to achieve the next map without worrying too much about all the things that went wrong the previous map.

Last edited by Ace,

ilike2spin

RLM

u r noob u will never be prem

Spike Himself

TC

On the subject of calling, would you say if anyone in your team, no matter who, makes a call to push, then the rest of the team should follow regardless of what is going on? In other words is every single member of the team trusted to make such decisions? I don’t mean to imply that there is no longer a main caller, but for example a scout can be behind the enemy team for whatever reason and he may see an opportunity that you as medic can’t possibly know about. I hope that made sense :D

Ace

Quoted from Spike Himself

On the subject of calling, would you say if anyone in your team, no matter who, makes a call to push, then the rest of the team should follow regardless of what is going on? In other words is every single member of the team trusted to make such decisions? I don’t mean to imply that there is no longer a main caller, but for example a scout can be behind the enemy team for whatever reason and he may see an opportunity that you as medic can’t possibly know about. I hope that made sense :D

I love it when someone makes plays! I actually encourage most teams I play in to make plays when they can – as long as they are properly called, and that I have the time to confirm that yes, this is something that we can do based on our position, health and uber. This is usually how some of the best plays are being made.

Ace

Keep the questions coming on reddit, I’ll try to keep this up a few days more. :)

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

Quoted from Ace

Keep the questions coming on reddit, I’ll try to keep this up a few days more. :)

Thanks for the very thorough answers!

Add A Reply Pages: 1