Forum

Mumble lag(spikes)

Created 13th January 2010 @ 21:21

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Brutallus

I have been using Mumble for over a year now, never had any problems with it.
Since 2 weeks ago I, all of a sudden, got major mumble lagspikes…Everytime someone said anything I heard it about 10 times, or just had laggs on mumble so that people could not understand me and the other way around. It’s really annoying during games so I was wondering if there was anyone out there able to help me or who has the same problem?

p.s: restarting mumble doesn’t work :(

Thanks in advance.

gryzor

This makes no sense what so ever, to be honest. I can tell you right now this has nothing to do with mumble and everything to do with your connection.

If you feel like being a rebel and refuse to accept the above, you might try and tick the “tcp-connect” tickbox to use TCP instead of UDP, although i doubt it will change much.

Mort

#YOLO
swimp

Been having the same problem. Peoples voices turn robotic for 3-4 seconds and then it settles again. A bit annoying when your team is yelling commands and crucial information. :P

Skyride

DUCS

What mumble server are you getting this on?

Brutallus

What mumble server are you getting this on?

We’re using mumble version 1.2, our own server, I’m the only one of my team experiencing this problem tho. So it’s not a server problem.

Last edited by Brutallus,

SamurAi

did you turned on Team fortress plugin in settings?

kaidus

WiK?

I had an issue earlier today where everytime I transmitted I would get horrendous lag spikes both on mumble and in game (literally, holding PTT for 2 seconds = +50 ping, holding it for 10 seconds = +500 ping). I decreased the transmission quality and it cleared it up. This isn’t the exact same issue as you but try turning down all that quality bitrate shiznazz that I don’t understand and perhaps you’ll find some results : ).

Elessar

\'s fault

I think something similar is happening to me since the last version(1.2.1), gonna try to reduce the quality and see how is the performance.

frostschutz

The problem with Mumble 1.2 is, at least by our experience, that it uses a much lower quality setting by default than the old Mumble 1.1. So people join Mumble 1.2 for the first time, say “Oh this sounds much worse than the old one”, and they go into configuration and pull the quality bar all the way to the right which uses a ridiculous amount of bandwidth if the server supports it. Combine that with lack of push-to-talk (badly configured voice activation) and you’ll waste several hundreds of kbit/s bandwidth just because people breathe or cough.

Make sure everyone uses moderate settings (in Mumble 1.2.1 the wizards lets you choose low medium high, for gaming medium should be sufficient, although I prefer manual settings). The server also has a maximum bandwidth setting, the default value is 72kbit/s which already is superb quality, 50kbit/s should be sufficient. Many rental servers allow much higher bandwidths because the hosts want to offer their customers some quality, on the other hand the same high bandwidths will cause you lags if your internet connection just isn’t that fast.

Apart from the bandwidth, the packet size is also interesting. You can choose between 10ms-60ms per packet, and while in theory using 10ms means up to 50ms less lag in audio transmission, it also means that everyone’s network connection and routers have to be able to handle 6 times as many packets for the same transmission.

Jones

It could be routing issues. I’ve had problems on a few mumble servers where I couldn’t hear anyone clearly because their voice lags so much. It was annoying because I was the only one in the team with this problem. Test some other servers and see if they’re any better and if they are make your team move :)

Brutallus

Btw, it’s not only on mumble 1.2 also on the previous versions.

Brutallus

Bump, tried everything what you guys posted in this topic but nothing worked. Had the same problem on every single mumble server.
Would really like to find a solution as it’s really annoying.

Thanks.

frymaster

“The problem with Mumble 1.2 is, at least by our experience, that it uses a much lower quality setting by default”

nope – in the audio input menu, the point about 1/3rd of the way along the slider is equivalent to the MAXMIMUM quality of 1.1.8 (because 1.1.8 only supported speex, not CELT – any time you’re using CELT you’re above the max quality of 1.1.8)

Server > Information has a lot of stats about latency / missing/lost packets etc. The person having issues should check that out first

assuming you went through the audio wizard (i.e. your output delay isn’t too low for your sound setup) you could try turning up the default jitter buffer in audio output (you’ll need advanced options on first)

I’d also upgrade to 1.2.1; that’s got improvements to CELT’s lost-or-late-packets handling

Last edited by frymaster,

Asskicker

GoT<3
HoT<3

I’m having about the same problem.

Whenever a lot of people speak in mumble, my ping in TF2 goes up by a few hundreds.
I didn’t use to have this, could it be because my router is blocking ports or something?

If not, is there any way I can decrease the quality of the voices I receive?

Add A Reply Pages: 1