Forum

MX-518 unplugging problem?

Created 6th December 2009 @ 16:45

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

WildEast

.:EnG!:.
<3

well today i was like moving the mouse then it froze, then came back, so when i watched the red lights it goes off sometimes (thats when the mouse stops moving for like 3 seconds) and i hear the new hardware found sound from windows, and when it goes back (lights on) the dpi is set back to 800 and mouse settings are reset.
ps. i dont use drivers and tried all usb ports
my friend told me it maybe a wire prob but i dont wanna believe him :/ , any help?

DominiX

sP.

Well, I hade the same issue with my last mouse and yeah – it was a problem with wiring. It gives like USB atached/deatached sound when mouse loses signal and it’s wire is curved or smthn else like that. If you’re lucky – you won’t get anything worse than this, although my mouse died like that, or that was because of the lethal fist-wallbang combination, I will never know :)

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

Yeah I had this problem with my mx510

You have to open it up and cut the cord shorter or rewire it. That or get a new mouse :p.

WildEast

<3

so can it be fixed manually if i opened the mouse or changing wire (ye i know a little about these stuff lol)?

Edit: oh kai ty guys >> you can close the topic now :p

Last edited by WildEast,

fJack

k^m

logitech are usually good with RMAing their gear. might be worth a check.

hunger

Well, I hade the same issue with my last mouse and yeah – it was a problem with wiring. It gives like USB atached/deatached sound when mouse loses signal and it’s wire is curved or smthn else like that. If you’re lucky – you won’t get anything worse than this, although my mouse died like that, or that was because of the lethal fist-wallbang combination, I will never know :)

i dont know how people rage on games lol and smash there stuff up lol

vlad_drac

xoxo

Yep, had this with an old mx518. Simple fix..

Peel the stickers off (if there are any), revealing the screws. Unscrew it and carefully remove the top (so you don’t lose any bits). The mousewheel WILL fall out if the mouse is upside down, but it’s easy to identify how it goes back on if you’re not a mental retard – if you don’t feel confident make sure you open it the right way up.

Identify where the cord goes into the mouse, find the contacts. It curves around the entrance 2/3 times to stop someone from ripping the cord out and damaging the mouse by accident. Remove the contacts, cut the wire shorter, strip the wires, re-attach.

The cord is now 2 inches shorter, but it works perfectly. I bought a new mouse then tried this (i had no instructions, i’m just not retarded) and ended up with 2 perfectly working mice.

The reason it happens is because where the cord enters the mouse, it’s S shaped with the wire pinched in place. When you use it for several years (or if you pull it or stress it) then the wire will stretch and break inside the S bend (below the insulation, you won’t see this when you open it). Then it lies connected, but when you move the mouse, you move the cord, the insides come in and out of contact making the mouse unplug itself etc.

AnimaL

just get a new one for free

vlad_drac

xoxo

If it’s new :)

WildEast

<3

kai here is how i fixed it :
1- unscrewed
2- once i uncovered the mouse i saw something fly up high (a spring?) so i said “ya why not”
3- tried to deattach the wire (remove the contacts) from the mouse body .. i failed
4- covered the mouse again and said “**** this”
5- my mouse is working very nicely now :]
ps: there should be side effects ofc! (since the stuff that flew) .. which was the scroll was smooth as hell but it work tho
ty for the help and if something else went wrong i’ll try what vlad said :)

Last edited by WildEast,

AnimaL

If it’s new :)

no, i bought the old revision one like 2 yrs ago, after 3 months it died, got new one from guarantee, that one died after 3 months again, then got new one again, but it was the new revision, so its been working perfect now…

basicly got new mice for half a year for free

Last edited by AnimaL,

Norris

had the same problem with my 518. as the others pointed out here, it’s a broken cable which for some reason happens quite alot in the 518 charge. just replace it like Vlad and others pointed out above. it’s really not a big deal, I used my ‘played-to-death’ 510 one to fix it although I believe that you can basically use every wire of the mx5XX series.

Last edited by Norris,

DominiX

sP.

Thank you VERY MUCH vlad. I just reanimated my MX 518 which was in coma for 2 years now ^_^ Very simple way to make your mouses life long last, the most time consuming is to strip those fucking little wires and then isolating them, but that’s worth it :)

Swifty

ξ(゜ヮ゜)ξ

thanks vlad! Had the same problem with my mx518 but i just decided to get a new mouse. Now i can use my mx518 again if this one dies :D

NOT-HIM

GC

most of Logitech’s mice have a problem with the cable connecting to the mouse getting fuckedup. well, most common are at MX versions and G versions.

I had the some problem with my G5 after having it also with my MX518 mouse. just decided to buy a new razor mouse. very pleased from it so far..

Also tried to open up the mouse and fix the cable, worked for a while untill it stopped working again ;q , u may try it out….
goodluck =]

Last edited by NOT-HIM,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »