Forum

Wireless adapter problems

Created 1st September 2012 @ 17:21

Add A Reply Pages: 1

FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

For some reason, at random intervals my wireless adapter disconnects for a short time, and then reconnects about 10-30 secs later.

I know it isn’t the router losing connection as my ipod still connects to the wifi fine, and noone else in my house has the same issue. Also, I’ve had this problem before with a different wireless adapter, so I know it’s (probably) not that either.

My housemate has a 20m ethernet cable back home, so ill try and steal that at some point in the future anyway, but I would like to try and get this fixed regardless.

Anyone got any ideas about a fix, or way of diagnosing the problem?

Depch

For example some mice do that when broken, I’ve had that on some occasions. So it could be a bad luck of stumbling upon poor adapters, but it could very well be a problem with the OS registry or possible driver conflicts. Should try reinstalling windows maybe.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

If this is wireless for your desktop save yourself a world of pain and just get some home plug adapters, turns your homes electricity circuit into a lan and eliminates all the masses of wires.

Cheap ones =
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346526473&sr=8-1

FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

yeah i had considered them tapley, but figured I may as well just run a cable upstairs if I’m not using wireless – just dunno when my housemate will get the chance to grab his cable from home. This was an issue at my last place, so i know its related to my pc, and will probably cause problems in the future too

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Re-install windows then tbh :]

¤____________¤

What OS are you on? Also what software are you using to configure your wireless connection?

It’s a common issue but can be fixed.

Z0R0

I have the same issue with my router. And its like that from the day my roomie bought it.

Head Hunter

I have the same problem. Before I went cabled wireless was ‘fine’ for my PC just ping spikes or bad connection, but it wouldn’t drop me from the game or freeze for 15 seconds. At my new house wireless is actually fairly good! But it will just randomly d/c me from tf2/dota2 sometimes keeping me on mumble or sometimes leaving that as well. Everyone else in the house seems to be fine and are using the Same model of adapter. Tried using a mains plug adapter like Tapley mentioned but it has the same issue of freezing and if anything is worse, it’s ok for gaming but shit for web browsing. People are just going ‘it’s your PC’ but I haven’t changed anything. I’ll reinstall windows as uni is coming up but honestly don’t understand this problem.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Tapley ❤

If this is wireless for your desktop save yourself a world of pain and just get some home plug adapters, turns your homes electricity circuit into a lan and eliminates all the masses of wires.

Cheap ones =
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346526473&sr=8-1

Bear in mind this stops working perfectly when the 2 adapters aren’t on the same group. (it still works but you lose a great amount of bandwidth)
If you keep everything on one group then this is the best home network solution ever invented.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

Quoted from ¤____________¤

What OS are you on? Also what software are you using to configure your wireless connection?

It’s a common issue but can be fixed.

Win7
Using the software that came with the adapter this time (Netgear Genie I think it’s called), but didn’t use any extra software with my last adapter.

Ordered a cable for now, hopefully that will give me a temporary fix, if not it will either be a reinstall or homeplug job – unless anyone’s got any other ideas.

dougiie

CotC

Just give up faint.

u r doomed

FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

Quoted from dougiie

u r doomed

Read that in Adam’s voice for some reason.
I apologize…

got my ethernet cable today so will try it when i get home from work.
inb4 its too short (that’s not what she said)

Last edited by FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD,

¤____________¤

Quoted from FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

[…]

Win7
Using the software that came with the adapter this time (Netgear Genie I think it’s called), but didn’t use any extra software with my last adapter.

Ordered a cable for now, hopefully that will give me a temporary fix, if not it will either be a reinstall or homeplug job – unless anyone’s got any other ideas.

As I expected – 3rd party software. If you’re using the netgear software try disabling the windows wireless service. It’s usually not needed if you have other software configuring your connection, but if you have both running they can conflict and give issues similar to what you are describing.

If this doesn’t work, try not using the netgear software and use windows to configure the connection (you will still need drivers for the wireless card though).

Another thing to try if the above doesn’t work is stopping windows from scanning for additional wireless networks which occurs every so often. You can use a simple program called WLAN Optimizer to do this for you.

http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/

Last edited by ¤____________¤,

Add A Reply Pages: 1