Forum

Suggest me new headphones

Created 27th June 2012 @ 09:47

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

WLAN-Kabel

[CWC]

Zalman ZM-1 or the Modmic if you can get one at your location

For the headphones Superlux HD 681 (20 euros) or Creative Aurvana Live (50 €). The next relevant quality increase would cost 150 € then,so if you wanna stay below 100 € go with the 2 mentioned headphones
Then a Xonar DGX sound card for surround simulation if you need (30 euros)

Z0R0

i have them for like 3 years now and i have no complaints. design, sound quality 10/10
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1kzt2gs_baw/TKtmPQoiHJI/AAAAAAAAAIA/pkyvBuf-EQo/s1600/paper-cup-phone.jpg

DarkSlayer

Quoted from WLAN-Kabel

Zalman ZM-1 or the Modmic if you can get one at your location

For the headphones Superlux HD 681 (20 euros) or Creative Aurvana Live (50 €). The next relevant quality increase would cost 150 € then,so if you wanna stay below 100 € go with the 2 mentioned headphones
Then a Xonar DGX sound card for surround simulation if you need (30 euros)

yes the xonar is an awesome sound card

atmo

bad mic input though, picks up interference from GPUs

Selek

Dr. med.

So what would you guys suggest for headphones in the range of 50-150 €? What about e.g. the Sennheiser HD 558? Would you recommend 5.1/7.1 to locate enemy positions or are good stereo headphones sufficient?

WLAN-Kabel

[CWC]

Stereo is sufficient. Either spend 50€ or 150€ there isnt many in between, unfortunately.Good cans are:

-Beyer DT770 (closed, much bass and treble)
-Audio Technica ATH M50 (closed, small, bassy)
-AKG K 601 (open, very neutral and analytical,)
The first 2 may sound more “fun”, the AKG is great if you listen to classical music ;)
If you have only 50 € get Creative Aurvana Live!

Selek

Dr. med.

Thank you for the suggestions! Right now I am unsure whether to choose an open (sound more “roomy”, better air flow around my ears, but bad isolation from and for the environment) or closed (more compact sound, but hotter and good isolation). I guess I will just test a few headphones for that.

Right now I am using Sennheiser CX 400 II in-ear earphones, which are great, but I guess “upgrading” will be worth it either way ;)

How much would I have to watch out for the impedance? The K601 has an impedance of 120 ohms, would a normal Xonar sound card be enough for that or do I need a headphone amplifier?

WLAN-Kabel

[CWC]

The AKG 601/701 will require an amp ( fiio E10 or Xonar Essence STX/Phoebus)
There is also a Beyerdyn. DT 990 that is an open DT770 . The 250 Ohm version also needs an amp….

Selek

Dr. med.

Okay, that wouldn’t be worth it for me, those things start at 60 €…

At least the Xonar DG seems to feature an amp with up to 150 ohms, though.
http://www.futurelooks.com/asus-xonar-dg-5-1-channel-pci-sound-card-review/

Selek

Dr. med.

After some more reading and decision making (that was hard for me ;) ), I ordered the Asus Xonar DGX and Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm. Wow, awesome! Playing TF2 is like going to the movies now. Whenever I fire the Original, it sounds like a rocket launching. INTO SPACE. Just awesome. I also tend to turn around because a Pyro is firing somewhere 50 m behind me and it is still audible quite clearly.
Anyway, I found a great forum for this stuff:

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f267/

It’s German, but at least the list of suggested headphones should be easy to understand. The stickies were very helpful for me. If anyone has problems understanding something, just contact me :)

atmo

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-6-10-2012-ultrasone-pro-2900-added-many-edits

Selek

Dr. med.

Nice post, and I agree on his assessment of the 990 Pro. I like bass, so they are great for me :)
I also had no problems listening to and locating footsteps of a cloaked Spy, so I think they are competitive worthy. But I don’t have the means to compare them to other heaphones, of course.
Also, that thread has 413 pages? Not bad!

atmo

Giving AD700s 3/10 for comfort is pretty hilarious thiugh

WLAN-Kabel

[CWC]

Good Choice Selek :)

Both Head-Fi and Hardwareluxx are great places for audio ;) I also took my cans out of the HWLUXX list :D

But you must know that not everyone likes same headphones. Some will find the ATH700 very comfortable. Some prefer bass, some prefer neutral sound. It´s always best if you have a store at your place where you can try out several headphones (mostly in musician stores, the big electroshops only have shitty Beats, at my town at least)
And it´s impossible to “optimize” sound equipment for games. That´s why all gaming headsets are ridiculously overpriced.

Last edited by WLAN-Kabel,

Selek

Dr. med.

Quoted from WLAN-Kabel

But you must know that not everyone likes same headphones. Some will find the ATH700 very comfortable. Some prefer bass, some prefer neutral sound. It´s always best if you have a store at your place where you can try out several headphones (mostly in musician stores, the big electroshops only have shitty Beats, at my town at least)
And it´s impossible to “optimize” sound equipment for games. That´s why all gaming headsets are ridiculously overpriced.

Some good points you make there. I even visited many stores in my city beforehand, but in all of them only a couple of the headphones were even worthy to look at. One store was okay, but apparently targeted at rich uninformed people with prices >150 % compared to online shops. So my means of testing the headphones I picked beforehand was very limited.

I think you can test headphones quite well for online gaming, though. Your preference for low or high frequencies may differ, but locating enemies by sound or hearing that Spy decloak behind you while rockets are exploding can be tested beforehand.
From what I read, gaming headsets mostly consist of overpriced headphones with a microphone. It seems like they are designed and priced to maximise income from uninformed gamers. Those are only my observations, of course.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2