Forum

[FAQ] Forum Guidelines & Tutorials

Created 8th January 2009 @ 20:30

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 7 Next »

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

I’m not too sure in vegas as i use adobe, but i asked a friend and he says you can hold down control and then drag the start or end of your clip and it makes it faster or slower.

but as norris said record the original footage at a higher fps so it doesn’t turn choppy in slow mo.

As for encoding in x264, Adobe premiere and i’m pretty sure Vegas (latest versions) have built in x264 presets. So all you do is goto encode select the preset and tinker with the settings, adjusting res, framerate etc.

Norris

new vegas versions have built-in h.264 support.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl_BM67VuRw

Exfane

EPA
TWIN

I tried to use the smoother on an stv-demo of one of our matches and the way boneyard’s link show how to do it doesnt work on stv-demo’s. It only works on in-eye recordings or am i doing something wrong?

Pomme

only in-eye demo

+1 for a Jh tutorial.

hamza

vR
vR|

@Exfane: Yeah the demo smoother works only on ineye demos.

Exfane

EPA
TWIN

So i’ve tried using that smoother thingie, though somehow i manage to make my own player model invisible, in fact my playermodel moves itself to the same position as my camera. Now i’ve asked around and it appears the smoother itself is kinda buggy, but mayby someone has some leet hax commands that make it all normal :D?

hamza

vR
vR|

Well, yeah it moves your model. So as far as I know if you have shots with your whole team on and you do it with the smoother, you will always be missing. So I don’t know another solution for that than do shots of the whole team with SourceTV demos… kinda weird. ^^

psy

Wlv asked me to write a little guide for the basics…here it is :)

BASICS

The simple way to your first movie

Recording
Start your demo (with demoui) and jump to a frag you want to record, hit pause and bring your console down.
(cleaning up your screen: net_graph 0 [removes the net_graph], hud_saytext_time 0 [removes the chat] OR cl_drawhud 0 [removes everything]). Now you have to choose your recording frame rate. It’s recommended that you use a higher frame rate for recording as for your final movie (+adds motion blur +looks smoother +much better slow motions). It’s not necessary but I personally use a multiple of the final frame rate – e.g. final movie = 25 fps / recording = 200 fps (there are eight input frames that will equal 1 output frame and with resampling the final result will get a nice looking motion blur). You can set the frame rate by using the command „host_framerate XXX.

Now we are prepared to start recording our avi. Type „startmovie XXX avi“, choose a codec (DON’T USE A CODEC LIKE XviD/DivX – pick uncompressed or a lossless codec like huffyuv or lagarith!) and your computer is working his ass off. After your frag is recorded type „endmovie“ in your console (problem: your sound is not perfectly synced to the video – it‘s no problem to solve this problem in your editing program – but you can avoid it by using a bind for recording). Quit TF2.

Editing and export
Now you can find your recorded avi in your TF2 folder. Add it to your editing program (adobe premiere, ulead media studio – „necessary evil“ has been done with sony vegas), add transitions, effects, music etc.

Render your project as avi using the same resolution as you used for recording and 25 fps.
For audio a sample rate of 44.100 and 128 kbits are enough.

Don’t use your editing program for compression! Render it (again) uncompressed or lossless (video and audio)!

Compression
Coming soon… ;)

nautti

Ok, here is a little tutorial how you can continue working with your demofiles when they get broken by the latest update. It takes a little work and time to backup files but it’s definitely worth it. What are we doing here is taking backups from certain files so after the update we can go “back in time” and still use our demos. I usually burn these backup files to DVD so they wont take too much space from my hard drives.

After every update test a few demos that worked before the update. If it still works then we don’t have to worry.

What to do if the demo doesn’t work?
Then I’ll have to do these following things.

a) create new backup folder and name it after the update date.

b) start copying these files to that new backup folder.

“team fortress 2 client content.gcf”, “team fortress 2 content.gcf”, “team fortress 2 materials.gcf” and “source 2007 binaries.gcf” files from my SteamApps (C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps) folder

whole “bin”-folder from C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/nick/team fortress 2/
whole “bin”-folder from C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/nick/team fortress 2/tf

* In a backup folder I create a sub folder called “tf” where the second “bin”-folder is placed. That’s because you can’t have 2 “bin”-folders in a same directory.

Now my backup folder looks like this:
[ bin ] folder
[ tf ] folder, where is a bin sub folder
team fortress 2 client content.gcf
team fortress 2 content.gcf
team fortress 2 materials.gcf
source 2007 binaries.gcf

Usually at this point I’ll move all my demos that were working before the update to backup folder that I made after the previous update. This way all the right demos will be in correct folder with the files that helps me watch them. So I add a folder [demos] to my back up directory.

What to do when I want to watch these demos that worked before the last update?

I’ll just go to a backup folder that I made after the previous update and use those older files to replace the new ones that broke my demos.

a) close TF2

b) copy those old “team fortress 2 client content.gcf”, “team fortress 2 content.gcf”, “team fortress 2 materials.gcf” and “source 2007 binaries.gcf” files from backup folder and paste them to SteamApps (C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/) folder. Yes, you want to replace them all.

In the backup direcotry copy all the files from “bin”-folder to C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/nick/team fortress 2/bin
In the backup directory copy all the files from “tf/bin”-folder to C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/nick/team fortress 2/tf/bin

Again you want to replace all these files.

c) now I usually take my net cable off. I really want to be offline so the steam wont start to download new updates again.

d) open tf2 and start working your demos.

e) when you are done, close tf2 and copy/paste those newest backup files to your SeamApps folder and don’t forget the files in bin-folders. Now you can plug your net cable back on and continue playing with your updated tf2.

So this is how I have been using my older demo files. Hopefully I managed to explain it clear enough. Please let me know if there is some problems or you have some questions. I’m not saying that this is 100% sure method but it sure have saved me a lot of work. After a few updates you’ll have a good archive of demos and everything you need to use them later on. Hopefully you wont miss a single frag anymore that was going to be on your fragvid :)

Cheers,
nautti

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

Thanks nautti this may come in handy when the scout update comes in!

Grem

rEJ
TG

It’s something that I have seen in tf2 movies like the justice one and in one of the jh one as well. It’s the black/white model in a plain background, running around doing taunts etc. How is that done if you don’t mind me asking?

Waebi

‹Con›

guess he made some kind of a greenmap :P

i think you just record the scene in front of some color (1 color only, wall maybe) and then remove this one from vegas/whatever, iirc tv studios do this with blue.

hamza

vR
vR|

Yep, such shots are done in special bluescree/greenscreen/whitescreen maps. Mostly done with STV or a helper. Then you go into After Effects or whatever programm you like which can key colors and there you have it. Just like in the real movies :)

Norris

could somebody please post a greenbox map here?:)

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 7 Next »