Forum

What makes a good 5cp map?

Created 22nd August 2013 @ 02:23

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Smyther

X

Lately I’ve been liking gullywash less and less, which is odd because a few years ago it was my absolute favourite map ever, kinda like how I’ve turned around with the QF, and so like everyone else and the QF, I’ve been idly dreaming up map designs. I’m half interested in just picking up hammer and seeing where things go like I’ve done with a lot of hobbies in the past.

But as an engineer I know design projects are not hobbies. Both involve learning new skills, but a hobby is all about the journey, whilst a design is all about the destination and it’s not worth even starting unless you have a clear goal and good understanding from day 1.

So before I even start trawling through threads like http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=21192 , what makes a good 5cp map? If I feel like I’ve gained a good enough understanding, I might hammer out a beta over the next month or so.

Is it important that the 5 point are roughly along a straight line (not many liked freight)? Must teams be forced to pass near the 2nd point like gran, or not so much, like gully?

I gather having 2nd and last close together, at least relative to forward spawns, are good; is it essential that spawn still be close to last? Does it just need to be one of them? Or either?

What makes a good rollout?

Process seems to be the best map in comp TF2, save maybe badlands (yes, I’m biased), what can I abstract away from those and use?

I like narrow ledges that give you an advantage but are easy to get knocked off (like gran last pipe, like gully has none of), I think they’re good for a map to have. Am I mistaken here?

I could go on all night but I’ll leave it here for now.

Last edited by Smyther,

SorroW

iveR
VDOH

wouldnt say process is the best 5cp comp map, too sniper friendly imo.

ash

(Legend)
:D

a good 5CP map supports different playstyles throughout the map, including flanks. There shouldnt be empty spaces and it shoud employ vertical space a lot. It still needs to be logical in it self, shouldnt have any dead ends or useless parts of the map, and the game should flow from one cap to another automatically. If you need to plaster the map with signs to show the next cp, you’re doing it wrong.

a good map supports every class, not necessarily throughout the whole map, without making any class overpowered on any stage. a good map should make the last easier to defend than the 2nd, and the 2nd than the mid.

a good map is fun to play.

a good map is diverse in itself, but still follows a straight main design to distinguish itself from other maps.

a good map isnt clustered.

Smyther

X

Forgot to mention, posted this here too: http://teamfortress.tv/forum/thread/11584-what-makes-a-good-5cp-map

BRB trying to get hammer to load freight on linux.

AnimaL

The position of points (line or S type) has nothing to do with how good map is. Freight sucks only cuz it has last point that can be defended for 30min, same with obscure.

Good map is map that flows well. Also good flow in div3 mix doesnt mean anything, you have to get div1/prem to play it because they will do the kind of stuff in first week that a div3 mix will figure out in few months. Which is why making maps is pain in ass since prem does not test maps (in general) and only when they do is when you can actually figure out if map will make it or not. Well…Maybe in NA you could have more luck, they like new things…

Last edited by AnimaL,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Maps are S shaped because it’s easier to optimise like that.

Switch

soL.
T⑨

Add shortcuts or positioning tricks in the map, one of the reasons badlands is my favourite map is because there are so many shortcuts etc. (especially on mid).

TWEEKARN\

ez-sports.ru

a spire

Setlet

If sniper can’t be used in mids, you have at least a good start.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Note that a Quickfix 5cp map looks nothing like a normal uber 5cp map. Presuming standard mediguns, you want a ‘lobby’ where you can forward hold (but not too complex like Quay), and two main ways from 2nd to mid and a sneaky way (but not where the dropdown is cut off during holds like Gully). Process was designed by stealing the best bits from other maps, so just do that but different.

unu

Quoted from Setlet

If sniper can’t be used in mids, you have at least a good start.

Remove all maps but granary for s16.

Jazz

ScS|
(Q)<

What makes a good 5cp is a map that is slighty different too all the other maps. A map where a team has to think about what they are doing or a map that maybe supports a new style of play.

A map that promote fast play is always nice, if you start putting lots of doors in and corners and choke points by nature they will become spamfest. In addition a map where teams can push in multiple areas will promote this style of play.

It’ll be difficult to make a perfect as by default one person or a class wont like it but the idea I would say is promote fast play, promote new play styles.

beach

[DA]
[DA]

Let’s not design maps around that terrible unlock before it’s fixed.

Also gullywash is the best map ever, fuck badlands and especially process.

In terms of maps I like a fairly challenging rollout (I play demo) where it takes a while to learn but feels satisfying when you get it (i.e. process ramp sliding etc.), not too many retarded sniper sightlines (like process has…), and some open but also some closed in areas.

Last edited by beach,

synKas

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7190/2vjg.jpg

Add A Reply Pages: 1