Forum

Swiss system tournament

Created 27th March 2009 @ 13:29

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

wiZZard

EC!
EC!

Here’s an idea to discuss: what if the minor divisions (e.g. Divs 4-6) are not playing in groups of 10, but instead are all playing according to the so called Swiss system tournament: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_system_tournament

I know this system from chess, but it works with teams as well. It would solve a couple of issues:

– no need to group teams by strength into divisions beforehand
– most of the time teams with equal strengths are playing against each other
– no worries that a division is halved by dropped teams; every team that stays in can play 9 rounds of TF2

Of course there are also problems with this system:

– while the top as well as the bottom of the table should be quite accurate, the middle will be influenced by a certain amount of randomness
– different systems for different divisions might create confusion
– the system is relatively unknown, I think a lot of people wouldn’t know how it works exactly and therefore be against it.

Discuss! :-)

Ypsy

tl;dr
how about a summary of how it works? :P

Waebi

‹Con›

“Swiss System….”

didnt read more. All in for it.

A swiss tournament would be awesome :)

F2

Danmark

In short: The first round it is decided by random (or seeding) who will play against who. The following rounds clans will be playing against other clans that have won/lost as much as them. So if you lose the first two rounds, you will in the third round be playing against another clan that has lost the first two rounds. However you will never play against the same clan twice.

I actually like this a lot. It’s kind of a “self-balancing” division system.

Nigh

¿
TF2.ro

sounds good

Ino

dp.
dp.

I like it, looks great on paper and works for chess since more than 100 years :)

But you’d need some script or sth that automatically pairs the teams. Would be too much work to do it manually imo.

swoice

swiss? JUST AWESOME! ^^ sounds great, but without script not realisable.

seraph

rEJ

sounds like a very good idea.

Wlv

RaWr ::

Actually a really good thought, I’ll drop it in to the admin forums as well

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Swiss System tournaments are a good way to play, in my opinion.

I doubt many of you have ever played the MyLeague/Case’s Ladder tournaments but they had the standard single elimination, double elim. and a swiss system stile of running things. The SS went down well, it was a nice format and for the lower players, it was a lot nicer for them.

Though, one thing – would it end up making the divisions more so, bigger? In my experience it’s been that it’s over when there is only one team left undefeated – which obviously can be ignored to play more games, but you run a bigger chance of repeating games there. So would the divisions be bigger and follow the undefeated way?

Thinking about it also, I think it’s possible that one division may end up playing more games depending on how things are seeded? ie. just skimming the Wikipedia page, 8 teams played, over in 2 rounds, because only one team won both of their games.

I’m tired, during writing this i’ve confused myself I think. I’m just babbling.

Summary: Good idea :D

toasty.

PHX

Its a really good idea.

uvio

Yes, swiss style would need bigger divs.
Same number of weeks/games for each clan as the higher divs still running the normal rotation.
If there is an uneven amount of teams with the same win/loss ratio – the case where someone wouldn’t have a match – you just play against someone from the next lower rating.
Another thing is what if a team drops and you end up with an uneven amount. Someone wouldn’t have a match each week then. This can be solved by finding the best match from the bottom up for on week and top to bottom the other. Randomly selecting the team from the same rating braket, that would play against a team with a different rating, but one has to check if the teams have played against each other before. :)

JimmyBreeze

k^m

Doesn’t at least CEVO-A or some other American league do this?

Very good idea, in my opinion, especially for the lower divs which are next to impossible for admins to properly balance.

djc

d2f~

yeah, CEVO-F/CEVO-A runs basically this

each team is given a rough estimate of their skill level based on god knows what, I guess just admin input plus the results of the two weeks of preseason they play

then in week 1, you are matched up with another team roughly equal to your skill level

from then on, each team will play the team seeded directly below it (i.e. 1 plays 2, 3 plays 4) unless they’ve already played that team, and it works baiscally the same as swiss style though it does make some adjustments

it works fairly well and leads to some rather nice standings at the end of the season

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »