Forum

You can help!

Created 21st May 2011 @ 17:14

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Spike Himself

TC

Recently we’ve received a fair amount of questions from people asking “how can I help?”. Suddenly everyone wants to become an admin. This is great. Doing something for the game we all love is awesome and much appreciated. However at this point we aren’t necessarily looking to recruit new admins (though you can still apply if you so wish, who knows what the future will bring!)

That being said, there are ways you can help out without being an admin;

Schedule your games on time
You save a lot of admin work by scheduling your games before the scheduling deadline. It also keeps your team organised and it keeps your opponent happy. Win-win situation right there.

Post stuff on the match page
Anything goes that may help prevent a dispute. Be it an agreement on mercs, a question whether you play the game before or after the scheduled time (just use the calendar in that case though!) or an agreement regarding unlocks.
You save yourself, the opposing team, and the admins a lot of hassle in case of a dispute by simply using the match page to log conversations you had on steam chat or elsewhere.

Play fair and be lenient
If your opponent breaks a rule during one of your games you want to claim a default win, right? Sure, you’re in your right to do so. But is it really necessary? Did it really influence your game so much that it invalidated the outcome? Be lenient. If your opponent pauses a second time, or without announcing it, is it really a big deal?
Don’t be a dick. Play fair.

If you do all of the above but still feel you need to become an admin, let me try to discourage you;

Being an admin for etf2l is hard work, don’t underestimate this. There’s a lot of boring stuff that needs to be done, such as setting a whole lot of default dates, which can easily take up half your day. There are about 501 admin requests on irc per month. Some of them with easy questions, some of them with match complaints. There will be cases where an important decision needs to be made, one that won’t necessarily keep both teams happy. That’s not all, there’s a lot more to it, and it does require a fair bit of your free time, mostly without any rewarding what so ever.

If after reading this you still feel you want to become an admin, here’s the details:
Send an email to [email protected]. Please be aware that, because of the amount of work involved, being an admin requires you to be motivated. Double-check with yourself that you are indeed motivated and make sure you point it out in your application.
Here’s a little guideline for things you probably would want to include in your email
* ETF2L Nickname
* Real name, age and nationality
* Spoken languages (average english required)
* Past admin experience (crucial for AC-admins)
* Motivation: why do you want to join our team?

tl;dr Don’t apply for admin. Find other ways to help out – there are plenty.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Jude

notdoggo

vanilla beavern bazillion

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Jude

I’m not sure what you mean, but thanks for the bump :)

Here’s another one!

randa

Great post Spike.

doks

100% agree with Spike there.
Schedule your games and make sure there cant be any misunderstanding about rules or mercs and stuff. Just do your work as a team leader/team.
Also – read the rules. I was watching a div1 game some time ago and they didnt even know what the rules for turbine are. [they were discussing it in the chat for like 5-10 minutes] I mean when you exec the etf2l.cfg there is even written what you have to do for ctf and stopwatch maps…
Help people out in forums! There are a lot of questions there and you can always help :)

Another way to help TF2 itself – organize or help organizing an event… maybe in a community or whatever… yesterday we had a nice gign.lv 6v9 event and i think the pubbers got a nice taste of what competitive gaming is and i m sure they all want more :)

Last edited by doks,

Martn

Quoted from Jude

Go vanilla, Free BeaverN, Drop Bazillion.

1: Yes please!
2: Dont care.
3: Hell no!

Ryssen

re#
Chive

Quoted from Martn

[…]

4: Fuck yeah!

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from Martn

[…]

also
drop warmfront. HELL YES

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Martn

FTFY.

Drop vanilla, Go BeaverN, Free Bazillion.

Last edited by Skyride,

Vince

BiG

Free vanilla, Drop BeaverN, Go Bazillion.

helberg

Danmark
DANMARK

VANILLA
A
N
I
L
L
A

Spike Himself

TC

(guys, you’re missing the point :p)

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from Spike Himself

(guys, you’re missing the point :p)

admins, you’re missing the point

Edd

T2P

Quoted from rytis

admins, you’re missing the point

hahaha QFT

MEGAMIDDIE

If being an admin is so much work, why are you discouraging people from becoming admins? Surely it is in your best interests to encourage people.

Still, useful reminder.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »