Forum

fortress forum feedback

Created 18th January 2009 @ 18:11

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Akill

probably should of stuck this all in the thread with the map compo too.

what do you guys think to the mentor program+ map competition? should we get it done?

any comments + feedback on fortress forum is also appreciated. thanks for listening

Moose

[MIPC]

Making a balanced map in TF2 is lightyears harder than doing one for StraCraft. Sure, I’m all for new maps if there are good ones but so far I haven’t seen any besides freight.

kaidus

WiK?

I know you already have plans for guest casters and the likes, but I’d like to reitterate that a second voice on the show would do wonders for the cohesiveness of the show. There were a lot of periods where there were awkward pauses that weren’t really any fault of yours, akill, but were a side effect of being the only voice in a 25 minute segment of what is mainly spontaneous speech. A great job overall though, I’ll be tuning in whenever I can.

I only heard the first 15 minutes, but I really enjoyed them. Interesting topics along with clear speaking and perfect English.

Moose: I agree balanced custom maps are hard to make in TF2, but there are so many other, official maps we can play – Dustbowl, PL maps, 2fort. I agree that Badlands and Granary are usually more quick and intense maps, but that’s not a reason to completely forget the rest. Playing the same 2 maps every match is just fucked up, don’t you agree?

Renegade

Imperial

Very enjoyable, listened to the whole thing. Ive played a lot of good custom maps that just arent used in Europe (Americans use a lot more customs like Labor, mach4, broma), using maps that are already available seems more sensible than trying to make new ones.

Wlv

RaWr ::

We should run more 1 night cups with random maps :)

N/A

I think we should have a new bball cup, but this time have the final casted!

GOGO HAUNting!

sideh

ecc

I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one.

With regards to custom maps, there are lots of good ones out there that I’d love to play. May possibly need tweaking somewhat but some are very enjoyable maps. Off the top of my head, this one was really good fun to play (6v6):

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/68488

As much as I love badlands and granary, some variety would be welcome :)

AcidReniX

Off topic but in topic with 1st reply.

There about about 2 maps in proffesional starcraft that are balanced between all races. The main one being Python and the other being the later version of Blue Storm. All of the rest are quite biased to one race or another. Closed coridoor maps with an easily protectable natural expansion are generally terran favoured. Large open maps with 3 easily accessible gas expansions (including main) are Zerg favoured. Protoss like more open maps when facing terran, and more closed maps when facing zerg. Having 2/3 gas is also a plus for late carrier / arbitor play.

TF2 maps only need to be symmetrical for balance as teams can pick the same classes. The only other form of balance that can be talked about is the advantage you gain from behind ahead (capped the middle or 4th cp)… If it’s too great, there’s no coming back (fastlane). If it’s too easy to defend and the respawn position and location don’t favour the attackers, then it will often draw a boring back and forth game (old cp_well).

Add A Reply Pages: 1